Lennon announced on Offish site

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Lennon announced on Offish site

Post by ChrisC » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:07 pm

enrdentw wrote:http://www.talkceltic.net/forum/showthread.php?t=146061

The Celtic fans wish him well. He was clearly held in high regard in Glasgow.
Bolton are probably the smallest, shittiest, most irrelevant club I have ever heard of, but I still hope he does well with them.
Some lovely people on that site :lol:

mulgrew21
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by mulgrew21 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:13 pm

Hi boys. Thought I'd come on and give you a bit of info on Lennon incase you aren't aware of his managerial style.

I liked him and he did really well for us. Obviously up here with Rangers out the picture you're winning the league with no competition but he really impressed in the Champions League I thought. Obviously Barcelona was the main highlight but we also beat Spartak Moscow away from home and beat Benfica to second place in that group.

In terms of players he's brought in we've obviously made an £11m profit on Victor Wanyama and another £8m on Fraser Forster as well as profits on Joe Ledley, Gary Hooper, Kelvin Wilson and soon to be another £8m or so on Virgil Van Dijk. But he made some horrific ones as well, splashing out about £10m on flops Teemu Pukki, Amido Balde, Mo Bangura and others.

Think he could be hit or a miss down there to be honest. He does have his favourites which is a bit of a concern of mines. Expect to sign Anthony Stokes or Leigh Griffiths in January and maybe Kris Commons as well.

I hope he does well and turns things around for you.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:15 pm

Welcome neil. Good luck - you will need it.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:16 pm

SKD on SSNews talking about it now.
Not exactly effusive, said little of note really about Lennon's appointment at first.
'Restore confidence', blah blah 'smiles on faces' blah.
Then said he had been open to offers from Bolton, but had no contact. He genuinely seemed to think he was in with a chance of a job. Not quite sure what.
I expect Preston fans aren't massively pleased with that interview.

Debo
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Debo » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:17 pm

Pleased with this. Would have preferred Mckay only because he knows the division. But no doubts Lennon will give some our players a much needed kick up the arse. Also has a good record of buying players on cheap / free and selling them on for big bucks

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:18 pm

Gamble by Gartside. Bit of an unknown quantity really in england. He also gambled on Freedman, choosing him over more established managers. We shall see.

My worry is he strikes me as a bit shouty and angry if it isnt going his way. And it wont at first.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:22 pm

bobo the clown wrote: ... "Lennon’s time in Glasgow was marred after he was targeted by Rangers fans, two of whom were given prison sentences for sending letter bombs to the Irishman and other high-profile Celtic supporters. He was physically assaulted twice in the city, and also during a league game at Tynecastle by a Hearts fan."
martin oneil is the same but he never got bullets in the post or whatever.

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:25 pm

Delighted with this. Hopefully he will bring the passion back and make the lads proud to wear the badge. Fairly sure he is a 442 man as well which will please most.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:26 pm

LeverEnd wrote:SKD on SSNews talking about it now.
Not exactly effusive, said little of note really about Lennon's appointment at first.
Then said he had been open to offers from Bolton, but had no contact. He genuinely seemed to think he was in with a chance of a job. Not quite sure what.

hahahahahah - dickhead!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:31 pm

thebish wrote:

hahahahahah - dickhead!
Look there's no need for that, I'm only reporting what he said... MODS???!!!!

Porrohman
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Porrohman » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:31 pm

I'm happy with his appointment and for once we had a decent few managers I wouldn't have minded getting the job, but think the players here are shit and it's no wonder we are bottom,if he can keep us from getting outplayed by the likes of Bury,Crewe and Bournemouth then he will do for me.
The voices in my head may not be real...but they have some great ideas!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:32 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
thebish wrote:

hahahahahah - dickhead!
Look there's no need for that, I'm only reporting what he said... MODS???!!!!
:D

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:36 pm

ChrisC wrote:Delighted with this. Hopefully he will bring the passion back and make the lads proud to wear the badge. Fairly sure he is a 442 man as well which will please most.
Terry Butcher was glowing with praise just now, sounded like he was flexible tactically... certainly different tactics at home against small Scottish sides than away at Camp Nou... which "augers well"!

It seems to me that Lennon wants a managerial career in England so obv. he'd have to do a decent job here to get another job. My current thoughts are that this is better than a more journeyman-type manager who might not be as desperate to get W's.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:43 pm

Pleased with this and one in the eye for those who said we couldn't sack Freedman because no one of any note would want to come here. Good luck Nelly
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:44 pm

mulgrew21 wrote:Hi boys. Thought I'd come on and give you a bit of info on Lennon incase you aren't aware of his managerial style.

I liked him and he did really well for us. Obviously up here with Rangers out the picture you're winning the league with no competition but he really impressed in the Champions League I thought. Obviously Barcelona was the main highlight but we also beat Spartak Moscow away from home and beat Benfica to second place in that group.

In terms of players he's brought in we've obviously made an £11m profit on Victor Wanyama and another £8m on Fraser Forster as well as profits on Joe Ledley, Gary Hooper, Kelvin Wilson and soon to be another £8m or so on Virgil Van Dijk. But he made some horrific ones as well, splashing out about £10m on flops Teemu Pukki, Amido Balde, Mo Bangura and others.

Think he could be hit or a miss down there to be honest. He does have his favourites which is a bit of a concern of mines. Expect to sign Anthony Stokes or Leigh Griffiths in January and maybe Kris Commons as well.

I hope he does well and turns things around for you.
cheers fellah!

he seems qite well liked by Celtic fans...

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:49 pm

Is KD trying to ensure no one turns up for his testimonial? S'pose it will give his Mrs summat to moan about :roll:

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:50 pm

Thought this little post was interesting?
Bolton are probably the smallest, shittiest, most irrelevant club I have ever heard of, but I still hope he does well with them.
Pfffft.

Relentless09
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Relentless09 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:53 pm

I don't like Neil Lennon in the slightest and wouldn't have been my first choice but if he sorts out this mess that'll do for me, welcome to Bolton !

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:54 pm

the nickname i'm going for is-

Megson Jr

:/

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:56 pm

Excellent appointment....and £200 better off !

Hats off to PG & ED, I've given Gartside plenty of stick over the past few years but I have to take my hat of to him & ED to attract such a high profile manager to Bolton is a great achievement....and they have agreed for him to bring his backroom staff of Mjallby & Parker, a massive improvement on Lawrence & Fleming

I really like the fact that Lennon is prepared to come to a club which is bottom of the Championship. He could have held out for a better offer, so he's obviously got faith in his own ability.

That's it then PT is back at the Macron - a clean slate now for me....I think you will see a few more return to the Macron over the next few months

Most exciting thing to happen at the club for the past 4 or 5 years....