Lennon announced on Offish site

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Lennon announced on Offish site

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:00 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Is there only me that has absolutely no feelings or opinion on the appointment of Lennon?
Is that specific to Lennon, Brucie, or would that have applied to any on the alleged list? What sort of appointment would have made you impressed?
To be honest, Worthy, it'd have applied to basically all on the list with the exception of Phil Brown. As I mentioned earlier, having got all giddy when Coyle replaced Megson I now find myself in a position of 'well, go on then. Let's see what you can do'. Lennon does, of course, get my wholehearted support until such time it becomes evident that he doesn't know what he's doing. Let's hope that that's a long way off.

Then it's 'Hoboh's nurse - in'. Ooof! :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

wigan white
Reliable
Reliable

Post by wigan white » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:05 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Is there only me that has absolutely no feelings or opinion on the appointment of Lennon?
Is that specific to Lennon, Brucie, or would that have applied to any on the alleged list? What sort of appointment would have made you impressed?
To be honest, Worthy, it'd have applied to basically all on the list with the exception of Phil Brown. As I mentioned earlier, having got all giddy when Coyle replaced Megson I now find myself in a position of 'well, go on then. Let's see what you can do'. Lennon does, of course, get my wholehearted support until such time it becomes evident that he doesn't know what he's doing. Let's hope that that's a long way off.

This is where I am. Would've liked Mackay but not fussed either way, although glad it wasn't Hughton as for me he's just a Multi-cultural Owen Coyle.

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:07 pm

I just saw this news pop up on my facebook feed. What an absolute steaming pile of shit appointment. He is an utter scumbag of a human. Get fecked Lennon.
#Lennon Out.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:11 pm

Pitch shirt, grimaces

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 379&type=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:13 pm

Not my first choice, but at this moment I'm behind him 100% and, if he plays his cards right, am prepared to fall in love...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:20 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

Aye, I'm in the same place, but pretty pleased with the alleged list of interviewees in general.

Just happy we have someone in post, and I've heard of them.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:23 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:The PSG https://vine.co/v/OAEBtgpKAd9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The feck are those shoes?!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:27 pm

good stuff. the season starts now :D

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:29 pm

Prufrock wrote:
TonyDomingos wrote:The PSG https://vine.co/v/OAEBtgpKAd9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Praise the Lord that it wasn't just me. :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:39 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
You have a shirt that'd go nice with them... :D

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:48 pm

:lol: :lol:
Worthy4England wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
You have a shirt that'd go nice with them... :D
:lol:
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:58 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
THERE they are !!!

They've been missing for a few week. I'm having them back Lennon, thieving sod.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:48 pm

Sir Bruce had absolutely no connection to us when he came to Burnden!!Let's hope Neil can write his name into BWFC History Books..

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:15 pm

I have just had a quick look at the most recent Celtic managers to compare how Mr Lennon has done.

Ronny Delia - 50% win rate (8W 4D 4L)
Neil Lennon - 69.74% win rate (159W 30D 39L)
Tony Mobray - 51.11% win rate (23W 9D 13L)
Gordon Strachan - 67.03% win rate (122W 28D 32L)
Martin O'Neill - 75.53 win rate - 213W 29D 40L)

The last two seasons of Lennon's time at Celtic has seen Rangers in a different division. If Celtic had lost 8 games to Rangers in that time his win rate would only fall to 66%. I personally think the most interesting stat is that both Mobray and Delia have struggled either side of Lennon. I'm not saying that it is particularly important but I am looking at positives for this appointment and that Lennon will do a great job at Bolton.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

mulgrew21
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by mulgrew21 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:28 pm

malcd1 wrote:I have just had a quick look at the most recent Celtic managers to compare how Mr Lennon has done.

Ronny Delia - 50% win rate (8W 4D 4L)
Neil Lennon - 69.74% win rate (159W 30D 39L)
Tony Mobray - 51.11% win rate (23W 9D 13L)
Gordon Strachan - 67.03% win rate (122W 28D 32L)
Martin O'Neill - 75.53 win rate - 213W 29D 40L)

The last two seasons of Lennon's time at Celtic has seen Rangers in a different division. If Celtic had lost 8 games to Rangers in that time his win rate would only fall to 66%. I personally think the most interesting stat is that both Mobray and Delia have struggled either side of Lennon. I'm not saying that it is particularly important but I am looking at positives for this appointment and that Lennon will do a great job at Bolton.
It's difficult to compare Celtic managers more than any because the financial support they're given is totally different each time. Martin O'Neill for example was given about £25/£30m in his first 12 months while Strachan actually had to cut the budget drastically.

During Lennon's time at the club, Celtic made a profit on transfers of £21.2 million (not including the two signings he made who left in the summer for £11.2m)

It will be interesting to see how he'll do when he isn't working with the equivilant of a £5m per season transfer deficit.

CelticFan1
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by CelticFan1 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:48 am

I think Neil Lennon will do really well for you, he is smart tactically and gets the best out of his players, he also is very flexible and often changes his style of play and formation to suit the available players or the opposition(a lot of managers dont seem to do that nowadays and often play the same way regardless), Lennon's team constantly evolved their style.

When he first got his own team together he played:

Forster
Wilson Rogne Majstorovic Izaguirre
Brown Kayal Ledley Commons
Hooper Stokes

In a flat 4-4-2, lopsided though as Brown is a centre-mid, quite quick and can beat a player but not a winger and Commons was more free to attack. This style of play was based around attacking full-backs Wilson and Izaguirre providing width, that season they got about 20 goals and assists between them and Stokes and Hooper had a really good partnership with Commons who joined half-way through scoring for fun from left-midfield. That was the team from January on but before then as I mentioned above his formation and tactics constantly changed, he started off playing 4-2-3-1 which worked very well but then changed to 4-4-1-1 due to injuries.

The team then changed again in his 2nd season, his 2nd season we were almost playing a different formation every week so it's hard to sum up what the style of play was, from game to game he'd swap so it could be seen as being either:

Forster
Matthews Majstorovic Mulgrew Izaguirre
Brown Wanyama Ledley Commons
Hooper Stokes

Forster
Wanyama Majstorovic Mulgrew
Brown Kayal Ki Ledley Izaguirre
Samaras
Hooper

Forster
Wanyama Majstorovic Loovens
Forrest Brown Kayal Ledley Mulgrew
Hooper Stokes

etc etc etc, the team literally changed all the time sometimes Kelvin Wilson/Loovens/Rogne/Kayal/Ki/McCourt/Samaras/Forrest/Stokes/Mulgrew were in or out or in different positions.

His 3rd season he then started off with a new style he hadn't played before, a kind of 4-3-3.

Forster
Lustig Ambrose Wilson Izaguirre
Wanyama
Brown Ledley
Forrest Samaras
Hooper

This many think was his best team, although Mulgrew usually always fitted in so it barely or probably never played together, sometimes Mulgrew played instead of Izaguirre/Ledley/Forrest/Samaras/Hooper and it would change a bit usually because they were injured or suspended so everyone would slightly move position and Mulgrew would fit in. The style of this team was fast centre-backs, attacking-full-backs, solid midfield, pacey attacking/wingers and Hooper as lone striker. Again though he changed formation often between that and 4-4-2/4-4-1-1/3-5-2 depending on who we were playing.

His last season he returned back to 4-1-2-2-1 for the first half of the season occasionally changing to 4-2-3-1 when Forrest was available or when Boerrigter was played, the team was then:

Forster
Lustig Ambrose Van Dijk Izaguirre
Mulgrew
Brown Ledley
Commons Samaras
Stokes

He used that for half a season until January, this was probably his weakest team as we lacked a quality striker and missed the dominance of Wanyama in midfield, it played very average football and was easily our worst spell under his management.

In January he rectified the striker problem by signing Griffiths and then started to play a 4-4-2 diamond midfield formation, something we hadn't seen before and it worked really well up until the end of the season where we played better football again, the team then was:

Forster
Lustig Ambrose Van Dijk Izaguirre
Mulgrew
Brown Johansen
Commons
Griffiths Stokes

So if I was a Bolton fan, id be quite excited and looking forward to a bright future.

His strengths id say are character, he gets on well with people and tends to get the players playing well and strong as a group, we kept cleansheets for fun throughout his tenure while also managing to play decent football in a variety of different styles. Also tactically I would say he was good, as ive mentioned a lot he constantly mixes things up and it usually always worked out.

The signing of players is tricky as we have a scout John Park who many think does all the scouting and identifying of players and then the manager points them out to be signed but then sometimes we dont get our top targets so you never know what I would say is under Lennon we made a lot of great signings, we'd love to make the same signings over and over again for aslong as we can as he gave us better players than we had seen since Martin O'Neill was incharge. Forster, Lustig, Matthews, K.Wilson, Van Dijk, Izaguirre, Wanyama, Ledley, Commons and Hooper were fantastic signings, in the 8 years before Lennon took over id say we only made 2 other signings who would fit in with them Boruc and Nakamura.

Some say he wasted money too on other players like Pukki, Balde, Boerrigter which is true but it's not more than average for us, we are always going to make failed signings due to the small budgets we work with but he made much more than the average amount of great signings. For example i'd say Gordon Strachan made much more poor signings than Lennon and much less great signings and Mowbray basically made all poor or average signings and really just one good in Ki. So his signings overall id say were really good but we dont technically know how much he identified the players himself and how much was him being shown the players first, Bolton wont have as good a scouting set up as Celtic although it should be noted that Garry Parker is well known to be a top scout and very good at identifying players.

If I was to say Lennon's style of player, he likes attacking full-backs, he likes centre-backs with pace Ambrose, Wilson and Van Dijk who were his last 3 signings in the centre-back position are all fast players, he liked his defence to play a high line(hence why he likes fast defenders), he likes a strong centre-midfield too preffering players like Brown, Wanyama, Ledley and Kayal all hard, defensively sound, aggressive players and he usually only has 3/4 attacking players, it depends what he gets but I think he likes 1 up front with 2 fast wide players although if he cant get good enough players he will play a 2 up front with an attacking midfielder which is probably easier to get than quality quick wide players.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:08 am

Welcome Mr Lennon to BWFC. I wish you well and share the sentiments of most of our posters looking forward to a new era.

You are no magician though, and have the same players to work with that are now at the bottom of the Championship. I have no clue how you will turn them around to start scoring goals, keeping clean sheets and keeping possession of the football.

Finding your best team fast and stick with it rather than changing 3 players every match, barring injury just may work.

But who am I to advise a successful manager like you. I am a Bolton fan really hoping that you are indeed a magician.

Thor
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Thor » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:20 am

I would have preferred someone with Championship experience. After Megson I thought it couldn't get any worse, but the club continue to suprise me. Lennon no doubt sees this as a stepping stone and with only experience at Celtic was never going to get an opportunity with a Premiership team.

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:43 am

CelticFan1 wrote:
His strengths id say are character, he gets on well with people

Arguably the nastiest and most divisive character to ever sit in a dugout in Scotland. Lennon is a monumental prick, who was so scared of an upcoming double header with the Dons he fabricated a load of shit and got Chico to spread it via the BBC, he's never apologised for that despite Dons fans being totally exonerated.

he got his of course when we gubbed you back to back.

Lennon is a monumental prick, I might have mentioned that.

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:48 am

fatshaft wrote:
CelticFan1 wrote:
His strengths id say are character, he gets on well with people

Arguably the nastiest and most divisive character to ever sit in a dugout in Scotland. Lennon is a monumental prick, who was so scared of an upcoming double header with the Dons he fabricated a load of shit and got Chico to spread it via the BBC, he's never apologised for that despite Dons fans being totally exonerated.

he got his of course when we gubbed you back to back.

Lennon is a monumental prick, I might have mentioned that.
Gubbed us back to back?

I think there's been a mistake here. This is a Bolton forum mate, not a Celtic one. It's an easy mistake to make but I thought that the lack of Celtic talk and the "The Wanderer" logo up there ^^^^^^ gives it away somewhat?
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...