Nolan

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Nolan

Post by Jugs » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:02 pm

Prufrock wrote:Nah, he'd walk into our team. I agree 100% with Bobo, he needed to leave and the change was good for both clubs. Since then he's got a lot nearer to the player he was for us when pushing the England squad. Scored goals at Newcastle and West Ham both in the Championship and the Premier League. He's a weird one in that he has to play in that 'off-the-striker' role, and it's a role Mr Snicket seems to fancy Chungy in, but at this level I'm convinced he'd still get a shit-ton. Plus he's a fecking winner, and we don't have enough of those sort of characters.

I understand people's wariness, and I get Bish's point, but for all our improvement yesterday, we still started with Darren Pratley. Nolan or Pratley? Or Trotter? Or even Danns? Or Moritz last year?

Imagine he'd have to take a pretty hefty pay-cut, but I'd be a 'yes'!
Hmm, now I'm undecided again! You make a great case by pitting Pratley against Nolan.

I guess it just depends what kind of team Lennon wants to build, and the kind of players he wants. Because we've also got Mavies to come back and he's most effective behind the striker.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:10 pm

In his last 5 seasons (3 Prem, 2 Champo) he's got 58 league goals in 173 games. That's as near as damn it 1 in 3. I like Mavies, though think he can play deeper as Jimmy Philips had him; I like Chungy, particularly in that role, but none of our players, strikers included are lilely to get near 1 in 3. Goals win games and all that.

Totally take Worthy's point re:wages though. Would have to be a ginormo wage-cut coz he fancies it. Given he doesn't seem to be feeling loved we can dream :D!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:22 pm

Prufrock wrote:In his last 5 seasons (3 Prem, 2 Champo) he's got 58 league goals in 173 games. That's as near as damn it 1 in 3. I like Mavies, though think he can play deeper as Jimmy Philips had him; I like Chungy, particularly in that role, but none of our players, strikers included are lilely to get near 1 in 3. Goals win games and all that.

Totally take Worthy's point re:wages though. Would have to be a ginormo wage-cut coz he fancies it. Given he doesn't seem to be feeling loved we can dream :D!

Fair points, well made.
But another risk factor would be how he got on with NL. Whilst Kev did fine under Hughton, for the vast majority of his career he's been Big Sam's love child.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:42 pm

Why would we want a goalscoring combatant like Nolan back at our place when we have Trotter, Medo, Spearing and Pratley? Have some of you taken leave of your senses? :roll:

Edit: Oh, and Garvan. Let's not forget the Glen fecking Hoddle that's Garvan. :lol:
May the bridges I burn light your way

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:42 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Why would we want a goalscoring combatant like Nolan back at our place when we have Trotter, Medo, Spearing and Pratley? Have some of you taken leave of your senses? :roll:

Edit: Oh, and Garvan. Let's not forget the Glen fecking Hoddle that's Garvan. :lol:
Ah yes. An embarrassment of bitches, as I believe the French call it. :wink:

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:27 pm

Prufrock wrote:Nah, he'd walk into our team. I agree 100% with Bobo, he needed to leave and the change was good for both clubs. Since then he's got a lot nearer to the player he was for us when pushing the England squad. Scored goals at Newcastle and West Ham both in the Championship and the Premier League. He's a weird one in that he has to play in that 'off-the-striker' role, and it's a role Mr Snicket seems to fancy Chungy in, but at this level I'm convinced he'd still get a shit-ton. Plus he's a fecking winner, and we don't have enough of those sort of characters.

I understand people's wariness, and I get Bish's point, but for all our improvement yesterday, we still started with Darren Pratley. Nolan or Pratley? Or Trotter? Or even Danns? Or Moritz last year?

Imagine he'd have to take a pretty hefty pay-cut, but I'd be a 'yes'!
Given that reality - even Youri would say yes...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:44 pm

I suspect those are not the ones he'd replace, though... it'd be chungy or Mavis.. It was chungy who was picked for the closest thing to Nolly's berth yesterday...

so - Nolan or chungy/Mavis is the real question...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:34 pm

Pratley, Danns and Moritz started most of their games there. And Trotter played there (woefully) a couple of times. Lee did well there yesterday, but has played his whole career on the wing. Mavies looked v, v good under Jimmy Phillips as the deeper playmaker in a '2-3'. You could quite comfortably play:

-----Mavies---Spearing-----

Lee-------Nolan---------Danns

----------Anyone------------

It's dreaming in terms of it happening, but I don't buy he'd be in for Mavies or Lee.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:41 pm

Prufrock wrote:Pratley, Danns and Moritz started most of their games there. And Trotter played there (woefully) a couple of times. Lee did well there yesterday, but has played his whole career on the wing. Mavies looked v, v good under Jimmy Phillips as the deeper playmaker in a '2-3'. You could quite comfortably play:

-----Mavies---Spearing-----

Lee-------Nolan---------Danns

----------Anyone------------

It's dreaming in terms of it happening, but I don't buy he'd be in for Mavies or Lee.

well - presumably we're talking about this manager - Lennon - and he played Chungy there, not trotter or pratley or danns - and he had the choice...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:45 pm

In 1 bloody game!

So he's not allowed to sign Nolan any more than he's allowed to play Trotter Danns or Pratley there? As long as Lee is fit the only other person he can play there is Mavies?

Plus, I've said I think it's a pipe dream anyway so no, we aren't talking about this manager! We're talking about what I (or anyone else) would do, and in my case that's beg and plead with Nobby to come back, and then play him in that ^ team.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:52 pm

Prufrock wrote:In 1 bloody game!

So he's not allowed to sign Nolan any more than he's allowed to play Trotter Danns or Pratley there? As long as Lee is fit the only other person he can play there is Mavies?

Plus, I've said I think it's a pipe dream anyway so no, we aren't talking about this manager! We're talking about what I (or anyone else) would do, and in my case that's beg and plead with Nobby to come back, and then play him in that ^ team.
Yep. A wonderful and, of course, infeasible pipe dream and there's nothing wrong with a pipe dream until people start picking holes in it.

I'm looking at you Vicar.
Last edited by bobo the clown on Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:40 pm

an infeasible piped team???

c'mon Bobo - get that phone sorted! :lol:

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:43 pm

thebish wrote:an infeasible piped team???

Doesn't alter the point you dream-killer
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:52 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
thebish wrote:an infeasible piped team???

Doesn't alter the point you dream-killer
c'mon bobo - make up your dream-mind! Joshy or Nolly? :D

also - how hard can it be to turn off the fecking auto-correct??

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:08 am

Of course we'd have him back in the team - we're complete shite now. If we were still about 15th in the Premier League we probably wouldn't be so keen. When we sold him and bought Mark Davies for £3m less and cheaper wages it was the logical move to make imo.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:12 am

Think sparky was around 1 Mill
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:14 pm

Yeah I meant the difference between that and £4m for Nolan
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:06 pm

Right you are
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience