Tits Up! - 'Uddersfield (H) 29/11/2014

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Re: Tits Up! - 'Uddersfield (H) 29/11/2014

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:15 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:
TonyDomingos wrote:I've just had a 'phone call from Enoch to remind me that what I actually meant to suggest was: "Stick it up them terrier c*nts' arses - Huddersfield (H) 29/11/14". Many apologies.
Thank goodness someone is maintaining standards.
Indeed - for example, the opening apostrophe on 'phone. How irksome it is when teen-agers use their 'phones on the 'bus. :D
Quite. Funnily my friend and I do refer to using said form of transport as 'riding the omnibus'. This is not to maintain standards however, rather because we're dicks.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:16 pm

LeverEnd wrote: Quite. Funnily my friend and I do refer to using said form of transport as 'riding the omnibus'. This is not to maintain standards however, rather because we're dicks.
:lol: bravo!

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:30 pm

bobo the clown wrote:I don't think, having added the apostrophe, that the 'U' should be capitalised.

Just being fussy maybe. Do say if I am.
But, but, it's a place... place names are capitalised, my English teacher taught me that over fifty years ago. Although to be fair he gave me no rules regarding silent Hs and their representative apostrophes.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:40 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:I don't think, having added the apostrophe, that the 'U' should be capitalised.

But, but, it's a place... place names are capitalised, my English teacher taught me that over fifty years ago. Although to be fair he gave me no rules regarding silent Hs and their representative apostrophes.
the 'place' has an aitch. The foreshortened place misses the 'H' which is replaced by the apostrophe. However that doesn't capitalise the 'u'.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:47 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:

the 'place' has an aitch. The foreshortened place misses the 'H' which is replaced by the apostrophe. However that doesn't capitalise the 'u'.
'unfortunately I need Henoch's permission to reedit the edited thread title as 'e's already given the thumbs up. :hang:
I don't want to fall foul of the Thread Authorities.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:44 pm

thebish wrote:
LeverEnd wrote: Quite. Funnily my friend and I do refer to using said form of transport as 'riding the omnibus'. This is not to maintain standards however, rather because we're dicks.
:lol: bravo!
I have a friend who insists on using pub' on the grounds it's short for public house. Mind you, he pays over £2,000 for his Arsenal season ticket - he is definitely a dick!
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:55 pm

Re-edit at your leisure.

Re-edit to your 'eart's content.

Re-edit and be damned.

Likely you will.

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:35 am

Might I, with respect, suggest a way out of the punctuational conundrum?

Why not settle for the pun and call it Uddersfield - sans apostrophe? :-)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:49 am

On Live at Leeds (The Who?) by The Macc Lads, they open their set with Sweaty Betty. Mutley Mclad introduces the song by saying "She were a right rum Yorkshire lass, but she liked having her udders feeled".
May the bridges I burn light your way

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:52 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:On Live at Leeds (The Who?) by The Macc Lads, they open their set with Sweaty Betty. Mutley Mclad introduces the song by saying "She were a right rum Yorkshire lass, but she liked having her udders feeled".
They played at silverwell st sports centre when I was about 14. Tried convincing my dad to take me but suspect it was never on the cards. I was playing darts in the Blue Boar last year and someone played the entire greatest hits cd on the jukebox. Lovely stuff.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:00 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:On Live at Leeds (The Who?) by The Macc Lads, they open their set with Sweaty Betty. Mutley Mclad introduces the song by saying "She were a right rum Yorkshire lass, but she liked having her udders feeled".
They played at silverwell st sports centre when I was about 14. Tried convincing my dad to take me but suspect it was never on the cards. I was playing darts in the Blue Boar last year and someone played the entire greatest hits cd on the jukebox. Lovely stuff.
Didn't the council pull the plug on the Silverwell St gig anyway? Miserable bastards.

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:02 am

Cole Porter turns in his grave...

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:21 am

wow, this is the first time ive heard the Macc Lads mentioned since the internet was invented! i used to have some tapes but i was very young and they were some kind of fabled messahia's that i knew nothing about!... im googling them now

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:21 am

EverSoYouri wrote:

Cole Porter turns in his grave...
'Appen 'e should. :)

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:24 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Three owls in Gibraltar has them as well. Much to the amusement of the armed forces and disgust of the bar staff who have never heard anything like them.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:53 am

Fluffy Pup :mrgreen:

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:59 am

LeverEnd wrote:

Is Silverwell St sports centre still there? I have some good memories of there from when I was a kid in the 70,s..Have,nt been into Bolton since late 1980,s.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:45 am

jonnycooper wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:

Is Silverwell St sports centre still there? I have some good memories of there from when I was a kid in the 70,s..Have,nt been into Bolton since late 1980,s.
Unfortunately not, Jonny. They knocked it down years ago. Coincidentally I was only talking about it yesterday. Used to play 5-a-side there on a Thursday evening then had to walk out, whilst starving hungry, into a big waft of garlic coming out of Tiggi's. I used to find myself walking back to the car slavering like Pavlov's dog!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:40 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Unfortunately not, Jonny. They knocked it down years ago. Coincidentally I was only talking about it yesterday. Used to play 5-a-side there on a Thursday evening then had to walk out, whilst starving hungry, into a big waft of garlic coming out of Tiggi's. I used to find myself walking back to the car slavering like Pavlov's dog!
I can recommend Diamonds on Bank Street for a similar effect.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:40 pm

I can recommend a number of take away outlets on Bank Street if you want to shit yourself like Pavlov's dog.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.