Bijou Bob's Bargain Basement Buys - Jan transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

DJBlu
Site Admin

Re: Bijou Bob's Bargain Basement Buys - Jan transfer thread

Post by DJBlu » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:44 pm

£1.5 million pound gamble on keeping a player who may or may not continue to play well that could potentially help us reach a 4 team tournament which he may or may not help us win to reach a prize of £90 million?

Odds of 59/1 on ultimate prize.

I don't think I'd bet on that horse either.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:59 pm

I can't see it happening. There's a game of brinkmanship to be had in seeing how we do without him. If he's still here mid-Jan and results mean we're much closer, could be worth it. If we've dropped away, selling makes more sense.

Sad, but I don't think we'll see him in a white shirt again unless SK tank.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:19 pm

We're broke. We have very capable manager who has his own targets but can't get them without freeing up some cash.

Chungy has shown recently what he is capable of, but he's on a Bosman free in 5 months time. If we are offered anything like £1.5m now then we'll be taking it. Only two months ago we'd have ripped someone's hand off for that. Many were of the view that a free and clear the wages would be a result. It all goes to show what having a decent man at the helm is vital.

It's a shame &, in my dreams, I had him signing a one year extension with a view to "seeing if we were looking good next season". It seems that wasn't in Chungie's plans. Let him go to Palace or Hull ... we could be buying him back in 18m time !

It seems Medo is on a playing trial at Maccabi Tel Aviv, and Spearing is interesting West Brom & maybe others (God bless them if they can make something of his wayward passing and alarming tendency to give free kicks away). It's how it is &, though personally I think we've missed a trick with Medo if it free's up wages and brings in cash so Lenin can bring in his own then we have to accept that could well become beneficial. I'd not be expecting anyone to be taking Moxey or Trotter off our hands being on 3 years contracts and relatively good wages, but we can hope.

Whatever we achieve this season is a bonus, and we can hope to maintain current progress and get close to the play-offs. We gave Lenin some mountain to climb though coming in on 5 points from 11 games.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:30 pm

Moxey and Trotter will be on wages that reflect the position we were in when we signed them.

Medo, god knows. Spearing probs close to a million a year. Chungy over that..

Financially, it makes sense to get rid of all 3, football wise, it makes sense to get rid of 2
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:59 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:^^

I've just read today's Bolton News and it seems he's talking of playing well in this cup thing getting him a good offer.
so if he plays crap , he's stopping ?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:53 pm

I'll paint my cock and bollocks in Nitromors if we get anything like £1.5m for him. Take the tinters off and think about it. £1.5m for a player that a side will get, at the most, three months out of before he's available on a free?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:32 pm

Got my fingers crossed Pardew stumps up the cash.

Somewhere around here I've got half a tin of paint stripper.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:18 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:I'll paint my cock and bollocks in Nitromors if we get anything like £1.5m for him. Take the tinters off and think about it. £1.5m for a player that a side will get, at the most, three months out of before he's available on a free?
Maybe it comes down to how much the club in question reckons he'll keep them up?

Whookam
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Whookam » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:54 pm

Beefheart wrote:If we are talking about £1.5m for Chungy, it might be worth gambling on keeping him and letting him go for a free at the end of the season. He could be the difference between us getting into the playoffs or missing out. Unless of course Lennon thinks he could do something with that £1.5m.
We're not going to get into the play-offs, even on current form we'll be about ten points off. If we could get £1.5 million for him it would help us build a team for next season.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:51 pm

Whookam wrote:
Beefheart wrote:If we are talking about £1.5m for Chungy, it might be worth gambling on keeping him and letting him go for a free at the end of the season. He could be the difference between us getting into the playoffs or missing out. Unless of course Lennon thinks he could do something with that £1.5m.
We're not going to get into the play-offs, even on current form we'll be about ten points off. If we could get £1.5 million for him it would help us build a team for next season.
I'm not a dyed-in-the-wool optimist, but I have to say that all this talk of us not getting into the playoffs has gotta be a little misguided, right?

We can still get in the playoffs. We're a form team. Back in 2013 we only just missed out despite not picking up form until end of Feb. Teams above us will have rough patches.

Personally, I don't think losing Chungy will damage our chances completely, but it won't help of course.

Sponge
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Sponge » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:06 pm

Jugs wrote:
Whookam wrote:
I'm not a dyed-in-the-wool optimist, but I have to say that all this talk of us not getting into the playoffs has gotta be a little misguided, right?

We can still get in the playoffs. We're a form team. Back in 2013 we only just missed out despite not picking up form until end of Feb. Teams above us will have rough patches.

Personally, I don't think losing Chungy will damage our chances completely, but it won't help of course.

As, most likely, will we.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:06 pm

Chins up. It can be done.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:19 pm

Enoch wrote:Got my fingers crossed Pardew stumps up the cash.

Somewhere around here I've got half a tin of paint stripper.
:lol:

Someone might pay it if they think there are other clubs interested and they can snap him up quick I suppose.
If no one does I think he's a good pro who will make a big difference for the rest of the season.
As for the playoffs, of course it's possible. 68 got you in when we just missed out. I'm not putting any money on it mind you.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:58 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:I'll paint my cock and bollocks in Nitromors if we get anything like £1.5m for him. Take the tinters off and think about it. £1.5m for a player that a side will get, at the most, three months out of before he's available on a free?

1.5 mill well spent if he helps keep them up. They ain't gonna get a player like him for that money!
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:06 am

Jugs wrote:Back in 2013 we only just missed out despite having a c*nt for a manager.
Greavsie wrote:It's a funny old game Saint.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:35 am

LeverEnd wrote:As for the playoffs, of course it's possible. 68 got you in when we just missed out. I'm not putting any money on it mind you.
That was an exceptionally low tally - it's almost always 75ish - and this year's race is slightly above the normal pace. Sorry.

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:00 am

It's only an 11 point gap with 22 games to play, so it's not big deal, I don't think. A win against Leeds and that gap could be a mere 8 points so there's still lots to play for and our deeper squad should play a part late on in the season too.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:03 am

I knew we should have sold the little f*cker before he went south, value down to next to f*ck all at this rate!

Vertigo
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Vertigo » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:13 am

Don't know how bad it is, but Chungy limped off in tonight's game against Oman.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:13 am

Chungy stretchered off in South Korea's first game against Oman. It is currently unclear how bad his injury is but they are hopeful it is not as serious as first thought.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wanderers/11715762._/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.