Bijou Bob's Bargain Basement Buys - Jan transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Re: Bijou Bob's Bargain Basement Buys - Jan transfer thread

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:40 am

Dr Hotdog wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:From memory, Cahill was exceedingly average at the time we sold him. We got 7m, which considering he was out of contract was a good bit of business. We arguably should have tried to sell him earlier for more, but the main issue for me is how the successive muppets spent the money...
Dunno about him being average when we sold him - i'm pretty certain he earned his first full England cap in a competive game (did he score too, against Bulgaria?) while he was at Bolton. He also scored an excellent winner at Goodison Park in the league to boost our chances of survival. Ngog also scored in that match, so too Tim Howard...
My memory was definitely that he was average by his standards. I remember thinking it ironic that he got his cap when he was in probably his worst form for us. Don't get me wrong, he wasn't rubbish, but it wasn't Cahill in his pomp either.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:46 am

The Serbian winger - Marko Milikovic has not been successful in his trial at the club and been sent packing - source is Burnden Aces
Pfffft.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:12 am

TKIZ! wrote:The Serbian winger - Marko Milikovic has not been successful in his trial at the club and been sent packing - source is Burnden Aces
this thread is going backwards!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:51 am

TKIZ! wrote:I think we got £7-8m for Cahill, which I agree Jonny was still criminally. The Elk at least did us the favour of signing a new contract so that we could get a decent fee, I think Chelsea paid £15m which then Meggo spunked up the wall
Erm...by signing the Cahill you've just said was criminally undersold?

The sale on its own looks good given he was out of contract in 3 months, but given we spunked it up the wall on Tream and Sordell and went down by a point I'm not convinced it was good business.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

midlands exile
Promising
Promising

Post by midlands exile » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:37 pm

Prufrock wrote:The sale on its own looks good given he was out of contract in 3 months, but given we spunked it up the wall on Tream and Sordell and went down by a point I'm not convinced it was good business.
I'd say it was a dead-cert stinker of a decision, no doubt about it. :hang:

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:31 pm

Prufrock wrote:
TKIZ! wrote:I think we got £7-8m for Cahill, which I agree Jonny was still criminally. The Elk at least did us the favour of signing a new contract so that we could get a decent fee, I think Chelsea paid £15m which then Meggo spunked up the wall
Erm...by signing the Cahill you've just said was criminally undersold?

The sale on its own looks good given he was out of contract in 3 months, but given we spunked it up the wall on Tream and Sordell and went down by a point I'm not convinced it was good business.
Aye, but also signing an (over priced) Knight, Elmander and Riga
Pfffft.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:07 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:From memory, Cahill was exceedingly average at the time we sold him. We got 7m, which considering he was out of contract was a good bit of business. We arguably should have tried to sell him earlier for more, but the main issue for me is how the successive muppets spent the money...
Wasn't Sordell £3.5m and Ream £2.5m? That's £6m (plus agent fees, etc) of the £7m we got for Cahill gone in two transfers, suggested by Stan and signed off by Ollie. Then came the summer of madness in which they planned a 2ppg romp to title glory while handing startling contracts to Andrews, Knight, Ricketts and Mills, none of whom anybody else wanted.

Usual caveat: that's not to say Freedman didn't waste money or sign shithouses. But the Cahill cash was gone by the time he got the job.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:54 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wasn't Sordell £3.5m and Ream £2.5m? That's £6m (plus agent fees, etc) of the £7m we got for Cahill gone in two transfers, suggested by Stan and signed off by Ollie. Then came the summer of madness in which they planned a 2ppg romp to title glory while handing startling contracts to Andrews, Knight, Ricketts and Mills, none of whom anybody else wanted.

Usual caveat: that's not to say Freedman didn't waste money or sign shithouses. But the Cahill cash was gone by the time he got the job.
I was meaning money in general rather than the Cahill money, but worded it badly :) Megson signed some decent enough players but over paid (a few bad 'uns as well), but Coyle and Freedman really did waste the cash they had.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:57 am

Didn't know quite where to put this, but I suppose it might point to what we need to do this month: we're in the bottom six for shots taken per game, the "top" four for shots faced per game. Which I suppose should make us glad we're as high in the table as we are.

Source: https://twitter.com/experimental361/sta ... 4546795520" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:26 am

I love these creative presentations of data - bravo to the author and to DSB for finding and sharing...
you can see why Norwich and Bournemouth are doing well...

a layman's conclusion - we need to defend better and attack better. simple! :-)

Qn... if we couldn't make it into the bottom right quadrant (which seems ambitious) would we rather head for the top right quadrant or the bottom left quadrant?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:35 am

Top right all the way!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:39 am

Prufrock wrote:Top right all the way!
aye - I'd agree - as long as we have Lonergan performing at his best, it's less of a problem if the defense is busy..

how long before Eidur inspires us to more attempts on goal?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:01 pm

thebish wrote:I love these creative presentations of data - bravo to the author and to DSB for finding and sharing...
you can see why Norwich and Bournemouth are doing well...
a layman's conclusion - we need to defend better and attack better. simple! :-)

Qn... if we couldn't make it into the bottom right quadrant (which seems ambitious) would we rather head for the top right quadrant or the bottom left quadrant?
Call me Mr Picky Bastard, but the top 5 teams are spread across 4 different quadrants.

I think we'd probably find that our "average" isn't helping us here - I can recall us posting at the start of the season how we'd seen 1 shot in 5 games type of thing. But this has clearly improved since Lennon took over. [edit: maybe not quite as clear as my perception suggested]

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:05 pm

^Mr Picky Bastard!

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:19 pm

jonnybwfc wrote:At the time, I thought it was a terrible decision to sell Cahill. Still do, obviously.

We're fighting relegation, and sell our best defender (and possibly - our best player at the time).

That has always irked me to this day. Can't help but think if we hadn't sold Cahill in January, he would have kept the odd goal out, or scored at the other end to keep us up, in those final months.

From memory, we got £5mil. In hindsight, was a terrible decision. But even at the time, it was poor.

Completely unrelated, but the saviour (Andranik Teymourian) is playing for Iran against Bahrain right now, at the Asian Cup.
Yep, we were a decent Centre Half short of getting the required result at Stoke.. Could've been the difference, but that said, Wheater (who filled in) got 2 against Blackburn.

Margins as Coyle used to love saying
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:01 pm

boltonboris wrote:
jonnybwfc wrote:At the time, I thought it was a terrible decision to sell Cahill. Still do, obviously.

We're fighting relegation, and sell our best defender (and possibly - our best player at the time).

That has always irked me to this day. Can't help but think if we hadn't sold Cahill in January, he would have kept the odd goal out, or scored at the other end to keep us up, in those final months.

From memory, we got £5mil. In hindsight, was a terrible decision. But even at the time, it was poor.

Completely unrelated, but the saviour (Andranik Teymourian) is playing for Iran against Bahrain right now, at the Asian Cup.
Yep, we were a decent Centre Half short of getting the required result at Stoke.. Could've been the difference, but that said, Wheater (who filled in) got 2 against Blackburn.

Margins as Coyle used to love saying
Perhaps more to the point, we were a flexible manager and 20 minutes away from beating West Brom the week before (being 2-0 up at the time). Those two points would certainly have kept us up. You live and learn or, in Coyle's case, it seems, you just live.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:14 pm

Bish: It's worth perusing his Twitter page for more of the same: https://twitter.com/experimental361" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

W4E: So our best games for both shots on goal and shots on target came under the last lump, while Lonergan is saving Lennon's ass considering we've been outshot in five of the six games since November... :?

Naw, I distinctly remember being horrified in Freedman's dog days by our lack of accurate shots - but since that very impressive half-hour burst at home to Wigan in the league, there's only been two games in the last eight that we've managed more than one accurate shot per half-hour...

I think the stats might suggest we need some new impetus up front - and that we're already benefitting from a tighter back-end, so to speak, with a 25% reduction in shots allowed on target.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:28 pm

Dunno how reliable the data is - just grabbed it from BBC website...Certainly that run of early games where we managed 6 games with 2 shots or less were probably the worst I can recall seeing (the home ones) for attacking intent for a long time. We do appear even if we're not generally raining shots in, to have more attacking intent, whereas 50% (guess) of our possession under Freedman seemed to be interchanging the ball around the back four, before one of them got bored and punted it to the opposition...it feels like the intent is in the right place even if the execution isn't what it might be, given the current squad constraints.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:30 pm

we have invested in new impetus up front - eidur and heskey... let's hope it's simply game-time that eidur needs...

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:33 pm

thebish wrote:we have invested in new impetus up front - eidur and heskey... let's hope it's simply game-time that eidur needs...
Suspect the signing of them both, to varying degrees, were a necessity in terms of available bodies :wink: rather than seeing them as revolutionising our attack.