garty back in front of the beak...

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

garty back in front of the beak...

Post by thebish » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:36 pm

http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... are_btn_fb

sounds like it might be a biggie...
Phil Gartside, the Bolton Wanderers chairman, has been summonsed to appear in front of magistrates to answer allegations of perjury and fraud, along with the club’s former manager Sammy Lee, the ex-player Gavin McCann and some of the more influential agents in the business, in what could be, if it proceeds, one of the biggest court cases of its kind in the sport.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Re: garty back in front of the beak...

Post by malcd1 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:44 pm

Oh dear. Doesn't look good for any of them.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

chester white
Promising
Promising

Post by chester white » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:48 pm

Civil prosecution? Does that have to pass any sort of threshold test to get to court?
The Sherpa Van Trophy! We've won it one time!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:50 pm

I wonder what Uncle Eddie's making of this?! :?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:08 am

Without any idea as to where we're at its meaningless. If it reads as I think it does and he's a wacko and they've all only just been served then it will go away quietly. If on the other hand either side have asked the cps to have a look (and the defences all would do if we're at that point) and they've decided to let it carry on, then it will have passed the same test as a cps case does to get to court. So could be bad.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:04 am

Prufrock wrote:Without any idea as to where we're at its meaningless. If it reads as I think it does and he's a wacko and they've all only just been served then it will go away quietly. If on the other hand either side have asked the cps to have a look (and the defences all would do if we're at that point) and they've decided to let it carry on, then it will have passed the same test as a cps case does to get to court. So could be bad.
I was sued by a crazy woman along with many other defendants as part of a civil suit. It went away quietly. Is this a second private prosecution, Pru? If so, the judge may find him vexacious.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:07 am

while Bolton, the club, have also been summonsed to appear in court next month in relation to allegations of making “numerous false and representational contracts” in June and July 2007.
I would say this sentence is the more worrying for us.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:29 am

This is a private criminal prosecution, the previous case which failed was civil where the plaintiff attempted to sue for money missed out on a transfer deal. That has been discussed elsewhere.

As the case has been brought to the magistrates court, the cps could now be contacted by the private prosecutor and be invited to take over the prosecution. If that happens, then an understanding of how strong the case is could be gained as the cps have a threshold test to decide on the likelihood of a prosecution succeeding.

This matter could have already been investigated by the police and refered to the cps it also might not have.

I would imagine that the main aim for the person bringing this action, particularly against Gartside, who is one of a number of defendants, is that if he is found guilty then it could prevent him from being the chairman of the club.

It is obvious that care is needed on discussing this case as it's closer to home and the person bringing the action appears to be quite open to using the courts to resolve perceived problems.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:39 pm

every time a football agent loses money , an angel plays the world's saddest song on the world's smallest violin

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:24 pm

Club statement released this evening. In short, we're innocent and McGill is a sore loser.

Club statement
Posted: Tue 20 Jan 2015
Author: @OfficialBWFC
image: http://www.bwfc.co.uk/cms_images/macron ... 78x359.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Official club statement relating to allegations made by Mr McGill against the club and individuals
The current allegations appear to be another attempt by Mr McGill to abuse the court process to resurrect a matter that has already been judicially determined.

As of yet full details of the current allegations have not been provided by the prosecutor Mr McGill, who appears to be handling the case personally by way of a private prosecution, but the club understands that the current allegations relate to the same set of commercial circumstances back in 2007 which were widely reported last year and which were found to have no legal merit.

The club, its officers and past employees have always strenuously rejected all claims by Mr McGill of any wrongdoing.

The club and its officers/employees were completely vindicated by the prior court proceedings and further to this the claimant was refused permission to appeal by the trial judge. The claimant has renewed his application for permission to appeal against certain of the club’s former co-defendants (related to the football agency SEM) but is not pursuing an appeal against the club or any of its (former) officers/employees.

In 2013 our lawyers made an application to strike out the claimant’s then claims and were substantially successful as a number of the allegations were found to have no reasonable grounds. As a result, a costs award was made in the club’s favour and, following non-payment by the claimant, a statutory demand for those costs was raised.

The remainder of the claimants’ claims (as amended) were heard at trial in Manchester in 2014 where they were dismissed in their entirety and a further costs order was made in favour of the defendants. Again, following non-payment, a further statutory demand was raised.

Last week an application by Mr McGill to set aside the two statutory demands was dismissed and a further costs award was made in favour of the club.

Mr McGill has so far failed to satisfy the statutory demands and further actions to recover the costs will now be taken.

The club believes that these further allegations are malicious and vexatious and will defend accordingly.

Read more at http://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/article/club ... CYVZ3Ac.99" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:28 pm

TonyDomingos wrote: Last week an application by Mr McGill to set aside the two statutory demands was dismissed and a further costs award was made in favour of the club.
His fecking meter's running, the lad! :shock:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:55 pm

as denials and rebuttals go - that one is pretty comprehensive! :-)

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:32 pm

McGill may be on pretty thin ice.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:16 pm

^
Hell hath no fury like an agent deprived of his cut.... :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:26 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:McGill may be on pretty thin ice.
I think he actually forgot to take the temperature

Gravedigger
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Gravedigger » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:41 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:McGill may be on pretty thin ice.
Either on thin ice or thinks he can walk on water. If this is deemed vexatious I would imagine it'll cost him more than an arm and a leg. He'll have to get a proper job. 8)
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make up its own mind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:43 pm

If one of you legal bods would be so good as to help me understand this (for free, you 4uckers ;) )

Shirley, in the event of perjury I'd have thought it would be the crown that would bring charges, not a private individual.

Have I got the wrong end of the stick here? :conf:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ma ... r-31626754" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:01 pm

It's rare, but private individuals can still pursue them.

The CPS have the right to take it over and carry on; take it over and stop it; or leave it as it is and let it be done privately.

In order for the CPS to prosecute a case it has to pass their test. The test is that it is both in the public interest to prosecute, and that there is enough evidence that the prosecutor is satisfied the court would be more likely than not to convict.

Defence or prosecution can ask the CPS to review it and decide which of the above steps to take. If they're asked to review it and it doesn't meet their test they'll stop it. If it does, they'll let it carry on privately unless there's a reason for them to take over.

Is a little concerning it that I wouldn't have thought it would get this far without the CPS reviewing it and deciding that it meets their test. Don't know, though.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:04 pm

Prufrock wrote:It's rare, but private individuals can still pursue them.

The CPS have the right to take it over and carry on; take it over and stop it; or leave it as it is and let it be done privately.

In order for the CPS to prosecute a case it has to pass their test. The test is that it is both in the public interest to prosecute, and that there is enough evidence that the prosecutor is satisfied the court would be more likely than not to convict.

Defence or prosecution can ask the CPS to review it and decide which of the above steps to take. If they're asked to review it and it doesn't meet their test they'll stop it. If it does, they'll let it carry on privately unless there's a reason for them to take over.

Is a little concerning it that I wouldn't have thought it would get this far without the CPS reviewing it and deciding that it meets their test. Don't know, though.

Strikes me certain individuals can't take no for an answer. After Gartside's pretty unequivocal rebuttal I'd say this particular episode is going nowhere too.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:26 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:If one of you legal bods would be so good as to help me understand this (for free, you 4uckers ;) )

Shirley, in the event of perjury I'd have thought it would be the crown that would bring charges, not a private individual.

Have I got the wrong end of the stick here? :conf:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ma ... r-31626754" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As explained to me, Bruce, you can do either or both.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.