Spyin Kop - Liverpool vs. Bolton - FA Cup 4th Rnd - 24/01/15

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Titi Camara
Hopeful
Hopeful

Spyin Kop - Liverpool vs. Bolton - FA Cup 4th Rnd - 24/01/15

Post by Titi Camara » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:08 am

Good morning,

I'm an avid poster on another an site, RAWK, which is a site dedicated to Liverpool FC. Hopefully that won't put you off immediately

Prior to some of our fixtures I like to venture onto our opposition fan boards to gauge the feeling and get another point of view. Sometimes, usually when the questions are met in the spirit they are intended, we get some great content and some great replies. I just hope you'll see me as a genuine supporter and provide some good natured banter. Many thanks for any and all contributions.

1. One of the earliest mementoes I have from my childhood is a tiny LFC wristband in red, white and yellow which was given to me by a much older cousin during my first years on this earth. My family is full of reds (there's one Bluenose but we joke he's not really family), suffice to say I would have been disowned if I'd not made "the choice" to join the LFC family and pledge my support to our great club. So why is it Bolton for you and you to Bolton?

2. The summer was a massively busy period for you in the transfer market, with a multitude of players coming in and going out, both permanently and on loan. At just over the half way mark in their first seasons here, it's probably too early to be making a permanent decision on any of your new players but who's stood out for you and who's been disappointing so far? Conversely is there anyone you lost who you feel the club is now missing?

3. Neil Lennon's only been in for a hand full of games but really seems to have steadied you. Your currently riding high in the form tables so seems to be doing the business but it's easy to see why he's been such a divisive character in his professional career. How have the club and it's supporters taken to him? Is he the long term solution?

4. Coming off the back of a largely unsuccessful season last time out what were your aspirations for this season and are you living up to them?

5. What do you think the aspirations of the owners are short, mid or even long term and do they match your own ambitions for the club? Simply put, are they doing everything they can to take your club forward?

6. Who's you favourite ever player for Bolton and favourite ever non Bolton player?

7. What's your favourite ever memory/match/moment from the FA Cup?

8. What's your favourite ever memory/match/moment from a game involving Liverpool FC?

9. How do you see yourself lining up come match day and who will be the man for LFC to look out for?

10. Predictions for the match?

11. And finally, how far do you think the winner of this tie will go in the competition?

Cheers Titi :pissed:
Last edited by Titi Camara on Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Re: Spyin Kop - Liverpool vs. Bolton - FA Cup 4th Rnd - 24/0

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:11 am

Pretty much covers it :mrgreen:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:15 am

"So why is it Bolton for you and you to Bolton?"
Being born and living most of my life in Bolton might have something to do with it. Only ever been one team for me, only ever will be. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Titi Camara
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Titi Camara » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:21 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote: Pretty much covers it :mrgreen:
TANGODANCER wrote:
"So why is it Bolton for you and you to Bolton?"
Being born and living most of my life in Bolton might have something to do with it. Only ever been one team for me, only ever will be. :wink:
Happy days! Any chance of elaborating a bit? Maybe trying to put together 11 answers? Would be appreciated! :pissed:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:21 am

Question 11 is clearly stupid. Both teams will stop going far in the competition in this round. Only one will progress. ;-)

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:26 am

Woah, waaaay too many questions, we've only just met.

Grab a drink, relax, and watch this....

And then maybe we can talk.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Titi Camara
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Titi Camara » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:28 am

Worthy4England wrote:Question 11 is clearly stupid. Both teams will stop going far in the competition in this round. Only one will progress. ;-)
I didn't want to make any assumptions about who would win the 4th round. I'll ammend the question.

Titi Camara
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Titi Camara » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:30 am

Lord Kangana wrote:Woah, waaaay too many questions, we've only just met.
Grab a drink, relax, and watch this....

And then maybe we can talk.
My work's not a fan of youtube :cry:

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:30 am

Hey titi, are you actually a proper scouser?

Titi Camara
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Titi Camara » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:34 am

jaffka wrote:Hey titi, are you actually a proper scouser?
No I'm born and bred in Chester.

Sponge
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Sponge » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:37 am

3. Neil Lennon's only been in for a hand full of games but really seems to have steadied you. Your currently riding high in the form tables so seems to be doing the business but it's easy to see why he's been such a divisive character in his professional career. How have the club and it's supporters taken to him? Is he the long term solution?
Is it? He seems like a pleasant bloke to me.

The fans love him. In terms of being a "long-term solution": I would like to think so, but he'll probably be off to a Premier League club (or a Championship club with money) in a year or two.

———

As for why I support Bolton: I was a born and grew up in London, but my dad, who died when I was four, was from Bolton and a Wanderers fan. I guess it was to feel some kind of connection to him that I decided, when I was seven or so, to support Bolton instead of Arsenal or Tottenham. On top of that, I've always, even as a kid, felt a connection to the underdog, and I was proud to be able to claim myself as a Bolton Wanderers (who?) fan while all my mates were supporting Man United and Liverpool. So, I guess I'm a kind of inverted glory-hunter (a misery-seeker?)!

———

My first Bolton match was in fact the Bolton/Liverpool League Cup Final at Wembley in 1995 (I was eight). My dad's friend took me and bought me a scarf outside the ground that I still wear on the rare occasions I make it to games. I've still not forgiven MacManaman (nor forgotten Alan Thompson's beautiful a goal).

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:42 am

Titi Camara wrote:
fanboy

you should be a Chester City fan

Titi Camara
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Titi Camara » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:45 am

Sponge wrote:
Is it? He seems like a pleasant bloke to me.
I'm possibly biased, two of my best mates are a celtic and a rangers fan respectively. He was often the subject of arguments between the pair due to comments he made in the press etc. He definitely caused/was the centre of a lot of controversy north of the border and quite possibly why he's south of it now.

Titi Camara
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Titi Camara » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:50 am

jaffka wrote:
Titi Camara wrote:
Fanboy

You should be a Chester City fan!
That might be true and is a cry heard from a lot of teams but as I said in the OP I had literally no choice who I supported.

My father's side of the family were all born and rasied in Liverpool, my mother's side all live on the Wirral. All of them (besides one that married in) suport Liverpool and I'd have been disowned if I'd have thrown my lot in with a different club.

Whether this makes me a worse/better/more worthy/less worthy fan than from someone from the city is wholly debatable but largely a moot topic, as I ain't gunna change for fecking no one!

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:03 pm

I think we had a long standing ban on doing this after a notable time when the thread on there was just a load of knobbers insulting us for spending our time answering the questions.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Titi Camara
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Titi Camara » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:41 pm

Athers wrote:I think we had a long standing ban on doing this after a notable time when the thread on there was just a load of knobbers insulting us for spending our time answering the questions.
I've been doing these little sojourns onto other boards for about two seasons now and in that time there has only been one that was badly received by RAWK but this was primarily down to the responses/abuse I got on the opposition forum.
In every other case these Spyin' Kops have been extremely well received, the vast majority of comments tend to be "seem like a good bunch", "thanks for your efforts" etc.
I think with these sorts of things, the responses, just like life, tend to reflect the efforts and the quality put in.

I was really hoping due to the lack of distance between the two clubs, the fact that I've not done a Bolton one before but mainly because it's the FA Cup that this was going to end up being a quality read! Would still really appreciate your input :pissed:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:56 pm

Not the best one to answer questions, having now joined the pensioners armchair supporters, but here's a quick summary to help your battle plan:

Our keeper is as good as they come right now. Our right back can't play there because he's needed in midfield and our left back, Ream, isn't really a left back but plays there because the alternative is Moxey, and Ream always wins the egg and spoon races in training . Our other back four choices, Mills, Dervise, and Wheater aren't the fastest wardrobes on castors, but they seem to be managing to keep the opposition reasonably quiet (Championship quality that is, not the mighty Liverpool variety, obviously). Midfield we have two of our quality play-makers , Mark Davies and Chung Yong Lee, on sick-notes along with two of our bright young front men, Max Clayton and Zach Clough (who may yet make the squad if he passes muster). Neil Danns and ex Scouser Spearing ( who's been told not to pack his bags just yet because we haven't totally agreed terms with Lionel Messi ) make up the middle. We have a bit of current form in Darren, Jairzhino Pratley and Liam Greyhound Feeney, and have recruited two of the Expendables back into combat gear in Eidur Gudjonsen and your old mate Emil Heskey, along with Craig Davies. ( Secret weapon is Trotter but he isn't quite primed yet, but watch out there.. and we have a few lads from the Conny Club to fill the bench ) Nothing much for you to worry about then? Time will, no doubt,tell.

Oh, John McGinlay, Andy Walker and Dave Lee send their best regards. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:10 pm

OK - given that everyone else (except Tango) is being a mardy, awkward bugger!!

1. One of the earliest mementoes I have from my childhood is a tiny LFC wristband in red, white and yellow which was given to me by a much older cousin during my first years on this earth. My family is full of reds (there's one Bluenose but we joke he's not really family), suffice to say I would have been disowned if I'd not made "the choice" to join the LFC family and pledge my support to our great club. So why is it Bolton for you and you to Bolton?

grew up in Bolton - Bolton was the first team I went to watch when I was old enough to go on my own. (prior to that - nobody took me - dad/uncles/mum/aunts/older sister not slightest bit interested!)

2. The summer was a massively busy period for you in the transfer market, with a multitude of players coming in and going out, both permanently and on loan. At just over the half way mark in their first seasons here, it's probably too early to be making a permanent decision on any of your new players but who's stood out for you and who's been disappointing so far? Conversely is there anyone you lost who you feel the club is now missing?

Not really sure it was as busy as you are making out!! The biggest "incoming" is Neil Lennon who seems to have got more out of the players we already had - current best example is Darren Pratley. Eidur Gudjohnsen is a big "incoming" in terms of name/history/emotion - but probably still has more to offer as he regains match-fitness... "outgoings" - not many tears shed over any of them, tbh... It has taken the club a good while to offload a load of high-earning dross who weren't wanted elsewhere... Your fellah, Spearing, is rumoured to be off soon - I doubt many will break down in tears...

Time will tell - but he's certainly made a cracking start...

4. Coming off the back of a largely unsuccessful season last time out what were your aspirations for this season and are you living up to them?

mid-table stability will do just fine! - and that's well within our grasp. (a bit like you!)

5. What do you think the aspirations of the owners are short, mid or even long term and do they match your own ambitions for the club? Simply put, are they doing everything they can to take your club forward?

nobody has the faintest idea what our owner wants or hopes for!

6. Who's you favourite ever player for Bolton and favourite ever non Bolton player?

Bolton Player - Tadeusz Novak (obviously)
Other Clubs - I really don't give a squirrel's knackers about any other club's players.

already pictured above!

8. What's your favourite ever memory/match/moment from a game involving Liverpool FC?

recently - that'd be Gerard's slip and them stuffing up the title race last season! :laugh: still makes me smile! Proper heartwarming!

9. How do you see yourself lining up come match day and who will be the man for LFC to look out for?

last week we went 3-5-2, we have been 4-4-2 and 4-5-1... truth is - none of us knows! I would expect early caution though, and a 5-man midfield... look out for Pratley.

you'll scab a win - 2-0

11. And finally, how far do you think the winner of this tie will go in the competition?

no further

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:18 pm

You seem like a nice chap & I've always liked Liverpool, so my responses;

1.) Lived in between Bolton & Manchester. Dad was a Wanderers fan

2.) Darren Pratley has hit a rich vein of form. Jay Spearing hasn't progressed in the way I hoped. We're missing a goal scorer. Lack of funds meant we couldn't afford last years favourite Lukas Jutkiewiecz

3.) Lennon seems like a smashing chap to me and so far is doing a great job. I think it would be hard for anyone with his background, working for either Rangers or Celtic not to be seen as divisive in some quarters.

4.) Under Freedman, all I hoped was that we could somehow stop up. Mid table/just outside the play offs is a realistic aim now.

5.) It's all about chipping away at the debt whilst playing at the highest level we can manage. I'd take a decade in the Championship right now.

6.) Youri Djorkaeff & Johann Cruyff

7.) & 8.) Would be the same answer for most Bolton fans. The 2-0 win at Anfield. It was a turning point for both clubs.

9.) I think we'll field our strongest XI, not something we often do in the cup these days. We have a young lad called Heskey up front who you may have heard of :wink:

10.) 2-1 to you men

11.) You'll get knocked out in the Semis
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:29 pm

Answers in colourful red for you...
Titi Camara wrote:

Wrist bands? Are we talking proper John McEnroe jobbies here, or are we discussing these new fangled plastic things supporting that cyclist dude that fibbed a bit?

Anyway, I digress. I come from a fcuked up family of Utd, City, Everton, Liverpool and Aberdeen folk. My first match as a youngster was Bury v Chesterfield - who knows what my City supporting Dad was thinking. Anyway, being something of a rebel I decided I was going to be a Bolton fan, much to the disgust of my Utd supporting brothers who wasted many an hour taking me to Old Trafford. Bolton were suitably dire at the time, but only a bus ride away and so became my life of pain and misery, interspersed with the joy of the Rioch and Allardyce years.

They've all been disappointing, but Lennon seems to be getting something out of them. Pratley has gone from useless to the next best thing to Messi. Lonnergan seems to produce world class saves every game and has been the standout over the season. Chungy has also been revived. Great player - 3m and you can have him. His leg is ok really...honest guv :)

Trotter remains shit and don't get me started on Moxey. Freedman somehow managed to sign even more shite than that chancer Coyle.

Lennon hasn't shown himself to be divisive at all. Living with the vile stupidity that goes on between Rangers and Celtic deserves a medal. He's worked some minor miracles so far. Early days and all that, but I'd say he's going to be a great manager. Our problem is that someone higher up will be after him within the next 18 months.

Aspirations were limited to getting rid of Freedman, avoiding relegation and to stop hating football. First 2 are looking good, but on the 3rd the jury is out.

Staying within FFP and staying in the division. Coyle and Freedman seriously fcuked the club up and it is going to take time to recover. There's been talk of playoffs among some fans. La-la land if you ask me.

Difficult one and I'm not sure I could stick to just one. John McGinlay is a legend, as is Ivan Campo. Hard to look beyond Nat Lofthouse, even though I never saw him play. I'm stuck on this one, so will pass.

I posted the photo earlier in the thread. Beating your lot in the FA Cup after drawing 2-2 at our place. The cup games over a couple of seasons back then were everything that was good about football and the FA Cup, and missing from football today. Watch that video someone kindly posted above. even as a Liverpool fan you'll appreciate it.

Hard to pick just one. David Lee making your full back look like he'd never played football before. Thommos goal in the League Cup Final.

No idea. Lennon has been quite creative with line-ups so far. Hoping our youngster will be fit again to see if he can recreate his form from the previous round. Sadly, I think he'll still be out injured. Watch out for Pratley - he's a beast!

Tough one to predict. I think there wont be a lot in it, but I've probably jinxed it now and we'll lose 3-0!

Next round only. You guys are average at best this season and we're still a bit shit but improving.