Harold Hassall

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Post Reply
Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1011
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 7:32 pm

Harold Hassall

Post by Nicko58 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:32 pm

A veteran of 1953 cup final, the club have announced that he has died at the age of 85.

Bolton born, he made over a hundred appearances for the Wanderers and also played for England five times, scoring four goals. His career was sadly cut short at the age of 26 as a result of a serious knee injury sustained on New Year's Day in 1955.

R.I.P.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38829
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Harold Hassall

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:50 pm

Another one gone. Quiet sort of bloke, played inside left to Bob Langton's wing in the 1953 F.A.Cup Final. Sad to hear. R.I.P.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

User avatar
Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12756
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 12:45 am
Location: Montreal, Canada

Re: Harold Hassall

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:20 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Another one gone. Quiet sort of bloke, played inside left to Bob Langton's wing in the 1953 F.A.Cup Final. Sad to hear. R.I.P.
I can't remember seeing him play though I saw the '53 Cup final on tv. Thinking back I can only remember Nat, Willie Moir, Eric Bell, Ralph Banks and Doug Holden from that game. :oops: Anyway, RIP.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38829
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Harold Hassall

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:58 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Another one gone. Quiet sort of bloke, played inside left to Bob Langton's wing in the 1953 F.A.Cup Final. Sad to hear. R.I.P.
I can't remember seeing him play though I saw the '53 Cup final on tv. Thinking back I can only remember Nat, Willie Moir, Eric Bell, Ralph Banks and Doug Holden from that game. :oops: Anyway, RIP.
The line up was: Hanson, Ball, Banks, Wheeler, Barrass, Bell, Holden, Moir, Lofthouse, Hassall and Langton. I can quote it in my sleep. Can't remember Saturday's team mind.. :lol:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19682
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Harold Hassall

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:53 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:The line up was: Hanson, Ball, Banks, Wheeler, Barrass, Bell, Holden, Moir, Lofthouse, Hassall and Langton. I can quote it in my sleep. Can't remember Saturday's team mind.. :lol:
And I doubt anyone will remember it in 62 years' time.

RIP HH.

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon
Posts: 5043
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:58 am
Location: 200 miles darn sarf

Re: Harold Hassall

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:33 am

RIP.
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

bw@bw
Promising
Promising
Posts: 436
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:43 pm
Location: midlands

Re: Harold Hassall

Post by bw@bw » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:27 pm

Somewhat belatedly


http://www.independent.co.uk/news/peopl ... 11032.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting life after retiring from football
What goes around may still come around

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 41 guests