We've got Nat. Don't bring Michael Jackson...Fulham Home

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruno3
Reliable
Reliable

Re: We've got Nat. Don't bring Michael Jackson...Fulham Home

Post by Bruno3 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:23 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Oh, might as well throw this in here - I've got bugger all chance of getting to Saturday's game. I still haven't been forgiven for taking the missus to the Atletico match on Valentines Day - did the Exec Silver Service bit as well.

Bugger all chance of me gaining a foothold to see Watford. :-)
You are not alone my friend :(

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:41 pm

Bruno3 wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:Oh, might as well throw this in here - I've got bugger all chance of getting to Saturday's game. I still haven't been forgiven for taking the missus to the Atletico match on Valentines Day - did the Exec Silver Service bit as well.

Bugger all chance of me gaining a foothold to see Watford. :-)
You are not alone my friend :(
aye... that's why he can't go! :wink:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:07 pm

I do feel the need to point out that I wear the trousers in this house. Oh yes.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:10 pm

They look a lot like slacks from here.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:11 pm

Enoch wrote:They look a lot like slacks from here.
Nice pair of cords actually...certainly not slack. :oops:

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:44 pm

bobo the clown wrote:Edging perilously close to the "I'm a better fan than you" pissing contest here.

It's simple enough to explain Tuesday's low attendance .... 2 previous extra matches which had to be paid for, two very uninspiring away league games preceding it, a fckg cold Tuesday, playing against our bogie team who we all agreed we hadn't beaten in any competition since the early 1930's.

I am thoroughly convinced that in Lenin we have a good manager, potentially a great one but ..... and I've thought of this a lot recently .... the damage done to my enthusiasm for football in general by the club's over-long persistence with the previous gob-shite was longer lasting and deeper than I expected. I'd have anticipated that once he went, especially replaced by this one, I'd have simply shifted gear and slotted straight back into it.

But I haven't. I can't say why and, whilst apparently absolved from PT's wrath as I do live a little over an hour way, I've been able and willing far too easily to say "no ... I won't other today".

I hope that's alright.
WTF its nothing of the sort....I've no grounds to take any morale high ground, I'm as guilty as the next man as I stopped going under Freedman.

It was simply a 'throw it out there' post to try and gauge the reason why we are still struggling to get the stay away fans back, forget the Fulham game the attendances are still a little under what we should be getting given the improvement under NL - and to be fair there have been some decent points made.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:00 pm

Tuesday's attendance was 12,790. Last time we hosted Fulham in this division, 30 Aug 2000, 19,924 turned up - but that was a big start-of-season clash between two of the three teams who ended up promoted that year. Six months earlier, on (Saturday) 11 March, the attendance v Fulham was 12,761. We won 3-1, one of the goals scored by some bloke called Gudjohnsen. Plus ça change.

(If you seek omens, we only lost one more league game that season, winning every remaining home game to sneak into the play-offs, over which we'll draw a discreet veil.)
Last edited by Dave Sutton's barnet on Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:02 pm

Those years in the Prem gained us 29 fans! Boom.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:05 pm

Prufrock wrote:Those years in the Prem gained us 29 fans! Boom.
Factor in the midweek thing, and the fact it's a bit nippy, and that ticket costs have risen above inflation*, and it's more like 29,000

*Probably

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:06 pm

bobo the clown wrote:Edging perilously close to the "I'm a better fan than you" pissing contest here.

It's simple enough to explain Tuesday's low attendance .... 2 previous extra matches which had to be paid for, two very uninspiring away league games preceding it, a fckg cold Tuesday, playing against our bogie team who we all agreed we hadn't beaten in any competition since the early 1930's.

I am thoroughly convinced that in Lenin we have a good manager, potentially a great one but ..... and I've thought of this a lot recently .... the damage done to my enthusiasm for football in general by the club's over-long persistence with the previous gob-shite was longer lasting and deeper than I expected. I'd have anticipated that once he went, especially replaced by this one, I'd have simply shifted gear and slotted straight back into it.

But I haven't. I can't say why and, whilst apparently absolved from PT's wrath as I do live a little over an hour way, I've been able and willing far too easily to say "no ... I won't other today".

I hope that's alright.
It's not for me to tell you what to do with your weekends (after all, there's plenty of legitimate reasons why people might choose not to go) but if that's why you haven't been to a game in a while then I'd certainly encourage you to try and get to one nowadays. It's far from perfect but it's night and day compared to what went on before Lennon arrived.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:55 pm

Having a season ticket in the prem was your guarantee of getting in there for even the biggest of games. When the mrs and I both had em it was a case of gritting our teeth every June whilst we found the required £500+ to pay for em.

Now neither of us has one its that much harder to find £50-£60 to pay for each home game. Not knowing whether you can rock up on the day and pay to get in, or navigate the minefield that is the ticket office doesn't make it any easier either. I'm just in the process of cancelling sky sports cos I never bother watching a full game that doesn't involve us, so it's not just Bolton, it's football in general.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:09 pm

I'm a "go to the match when I can" kind of fella. That's how it's been for years as I'm not able to go all the time there is no point havig a season ticket
Pfffft.

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:26 pm

making me curious this - does some techno wizard want to set up a poll of forum members wrt regularity of match attendance? Don't know the demographics on here, but might be interesting to see how many attend out of a sample of people with enough interest in the club to join a forum.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:54 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:Having a season ticket in the prem was your guarantee of getting in there for even the biggest of games. When the mrs and I both had em it was a case of gritting our teeth every June whilst we found the required £500+ to pay for em.

Now neither of us has one its that much harder to find £50-£60 to pay for each home game. Not knowing whether you can rock up on the day and pay to get in, or navigate the minefield that is the ticket office doesn't make it any easier either. I'm just in the process of cancelling sky sports cos I never bother watching a full game that doesn't involve us, so it's not just Bolton, it's football in general.
^ it's middle age. simple.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:56 am

Feck off! :D
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:59 am

thebish wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:Having a season ticket in the prem was your guarantee of getting in there for even the biggest of games. When the mrs and I both had em it was a case of gritting our teeth every June whilst we found the required £500+ to pay for em.

Ha, thats why I referred to the demographic of posters on my last post. Not sure (but strongly suspect) TW has a strong bias to lets say a more mature fan :D

wigan white
Reliable
Reliable

Post by wigan white » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:25 am

I also think the 8pm kickoff has an adverse effect on the crowds, as this mean the game is only finishing 9.50pm and is too late for some kids to attend. My lad (8yrs old) went to the Liverpool match (as it was a one off) but had to miss the Fulham game as it was a school night and we wouldve only got home about 10.30 so it was too late for him (or so his mother said). Even though it may only be 15minutes difference, i feel a 7.45pm kick off would help the crowd size, even better a 7.30pm kickoff.
Also a game like Fulham on a cold, wintery, tuesday night wouldve been an ideal time to do some sort of promotion, such as free tickets to schools, buy one get one half-price, that sort of thing.

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:34 am

it's football in general.

This stands for me also. I feel this topic could run a thread of its own. Indifference seems to be my default setting at the moment with regard to footy in general. I've perked up a bit with the Wanderers since NL has been in charge, but during the week I was watching channel 5 news ( I think). A story about prem telly rights, when they said Falcao was on £380,000 a week! I know the argument that if someone is prepared to pay etc, but we have families using food banks and people living on the streets in this day & age in the UK ffs, but we can pay a footballer well over a million quid a month. Beggars belief.

Certainly an age thing. Young kids aren't going to footy with their dads or granddads any more. They aren't brought up with going to, or watching football as a main leisure activity. There is much more out there these days for kids than kicking a ball about in the street all week and going to watch your heroes at the weekend.