The Winter Hill Tale-Brighton home.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Winter Hill Tale-Brighton home.

Post by thebish » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:55 am

wigan white wrote:I have a feeling in my bones that we'll trounce these most southern of southerners - 4-1 to the NLSWA :oyea:
Let it be so!! :pray:

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:38 pm

thebish wrote:
Il Pirate wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:More of a mustn't-lose than a must-win?

Agree with this. Where I live, we get to see quite a bit of Brighton on the local news reports playing on that telly box thingy. Chris Houghton has 'em playing some good stuff with purpose. But worryingly, also with pace. I'm a tad scared if we try to play with 3 at the back, we could ship another 4 or more. :cry:
they may have chris houghton (sp?) - but we have Lennony FFS!!!

We also have a frail backline who do not like to be turned to chase people running toward our nets. Heading balls away..........Check. Chasing very quick opposition bearing down on goal...............................Oh feck

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:03 pm

Striker nips between two defenders to score......nah.....?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xsGGboPnq4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:14 pm

A narrow and nail biting 2-1 win will occur. To us.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:59 pm

We'll 5hit em. 3 nowt t' Whites :pissed:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:12 pm

^ dang! that's gone and done it!

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:06 am

going to this one so I WANT a win pretty please

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:11 am

The lucky pants are on for this one.

God knows what the score will be. As long as we score one more than them then that'll do for me.

Jonah
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Jonah » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:16 am

Ream may be back today . Given we don't have a right back and dervite is out of form I wonder if Lennon will go 3 5 2 . Mills and wheater look likely to play but Brighton have pace through the middle . You could almost see an old Italian style sweeper approach with ream behind the lunkers and no attempt to play offside working but no one does that anymore .
I suspect clough may be on the bench .
Mind you predicting our line up at present is nigh on impossible .

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:40 am

Jonah wrote: You could almost see an old Italian style sweeper approach with ream behind the lunkers and no attempt to play offside working but no one does that anymore .
Playing for offside or not shouldn't be a rigid rule. If teams do it all the time it becomes predictable. If people watched the play (and let's face it, how may times have we been guilty of ball watching) and somebody took charge at the back (Mills) it should be a flexible thing. Play too high and we don't get it right, pacey strikers will murder us, stay too deep and ball-players will run at us. It's an unpredictable thing and far from totally reliable, a fine art that also depends on the liners being up with the play. .

Jonah
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Jonah » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:59 am

Absolutely . It will be interesting to see what he sets up today . The problems with three at the back are many with our defence . Leaves holes down the wing and as ream isn't string enough to be in the centre mills an wheaters lack of pace leaves us very exposed unless they stay deep which doesn't fit the pressing pattern .
Worked against Liverpool because the three was really an 8 and spent both games on the edge of the 18 yard box leaving no space in behind . The wide lads were in the FB positions and midfield not far ahead of the defence . Ie we parked the bus . There's not enough pace in our back three for them to push up and keep a line especially if wheater and mills play .
It kind of worked against Liverpool because there was no expectation for us to have a right go at them and we spent most of the game without the ball .
Pushed up both wheater and mills are a red card waiting to happen if there isn't someone dropping deeper to cover them when they attack the ball .
A working three only makes sense when the wider two have a bit of pace . It would be more workable with dervite and ream either side of wheater or mills but that still doesn't instill much confidence .

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:48 pm

^^

Getting penalties are, unfortunately, a big part of today's game. There are more divers in the leagues than in all the treasure-hunter ships and pearl fishers put together. Since the last world cup the rules have changed beyond recognition. Body and shirt grabbing seems to be part of it now and the physical aspect is probably one of the reasons for players getting crocked. Blackstock of Forest absolutely flung Ream into the post and didn't even get spoken to. Corners and free kicks are a joke for grabbing, blocking and holding players down. I've never been an advocate of namby-pamby football, but it's going a bit over the top right now.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:56 pm

twilight wrote:going to this one so I WANT a win pretty please
seems like a fair enough request! :D

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:58 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:^^

Getting penalties are, unfortunately, a big part of today's game. There are more divers in the leagues than in all the treasure-hunter ships and pearl fishers put together. Since the last world cup the rules have changed beyond recognition. Body and shirt grabbing seems to be part of it now and the physical aspect is probably one of the reasons for players getting crocked. Blackstock of Forest absolutely flung Ream into the post and didn't even get spoken to. Corners and free kicks are a joke for grabbing, blocking and holding players down. I've never been an advocate of namby-pamby football, but it's going a bit over the top right now.
Nat would be right at home!! goalie, defenders in the way?? bugger it - bundle the lot of them into the net with the ball! :wink:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:02 pm

thebish wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:^^

Nat would be right at home!! goalie, defenders in the way?? bugger it - bundle the lot of them into the net with the ball! :wink:
Aye, not learned much in fifty-five years, have we? :wink:

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:28 pm

I do hope he starts with Clough or Alf!!
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:41 pm

plymouth wanderer wrote:I do hope he starts with Clough or Alf!!
Got a feeling, based on Eidur not having a very good game, Heskey will start with one of them and the other with Eidur on the bench. Seems logical, at least till we see how the game pans out.. Being at home I'd expect an all out assault for twenty minutes or so to start.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:07 pm

Teamsheet, in the order it's written:

Amos, Mills (c), Ream, Feeney, Le Fondre, Danns, Heskey, Vela, Bannan, Wheater, Clough.
Subs: Fitzsimons, McNaughton, Moxey, Dervite, Gudjohnsen, Janko, Walker

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:10 pm

It's written in ascending numerical order bar Amos, so if it's a back four it could mean a variation on this theme:

Vela-Wheater-Mills-Ream
Feeney-Danns-Bannan-Clough
Le Fondre-Heskey

Surely too lightweight in midfield? Sounds more like 3-4-1-2:

......Wheater-Mills-Ream......
Vela-Danns-Bannan-Feeney
.................Clough................
..........Heskey-Le Fondre......

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:11 pm

Vela needs to be in midfield with danns! looks like 4 at the back. Looking awfully light weight in midfield again
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience