The Winter Hill Tale-Brighton home.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

The Winter Hill Tale-Brighton home.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:50 am

"Through the rude wind's wild lament, and the bitter weather", a flock of Seagulls approach, No. not from Raikes Lane tip, but Brighton by the sea.....on with it...
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Winter Hill Tale-Brighton home.

Post by Hoboh » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:55 am

Don't post captions like that Tango!
For one happy moment I thought our weak minded shithouses were spotted marching 'up the hill' to put some spine into them!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:40 pm

Hoboh wrote:Don't post captions like that Tango!
For one happy moment I thought our weak minded shithouses were spotted marching 'up the hill' to put some spine into them!
Not weak-minded shxthouses, Hoboh, just a team finding its feet under a new manager. We need to close a few gaps and go forward, we'll do that. In Neil we trust... :wink:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:06 pm

Get Lennon up Winter Hill and it'll look like they're burning straw on the Pike again. :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:45 pm

I'm going, though I expect it to be a poor game. I think it will finish a dour draw. Still, a few ales in The Ale House should liven things up pre-match.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:48 pm

More of a mustn't-lose than a must-win?

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:36 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Get Lennon up Winter Hill and it'll look like they're burning straw on the Pike again. :)
I find this offensive!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:22 pm

MAKE HIM APOLOGISE! THEN BURN HIM!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:33 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:More of a mustn't-lose than a must-win?

Agree with this. Where I live, we get to see quite a bit of Brighton on the local news reports playing on that telly box thingy. Chris Houghton has 'em playing some good stuff with purpose. But worryingly, also with pace. I'm a tad scared if we try to play with 3 at the back, we could ship another 4 or more. :cry:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:33 pm

Beefheart wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Get Lennon up Winter Hill and it'll look like they're burning straw on the Pike again. :)
I find this offensive!
Good. :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:31 pm

Seagulls, huh, bring em on..... :oyea:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:40 pm

Il Pirate wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:More of a mustn't-lose than a must-win?

Agree with this. Where I live, we get to see quite a bit of Brighton on the local news reports playing on that telly box thingy. Chris Houghton has 'em playing some good stuff with purpose. But worryingly, also with pace. I'm a tad scared if we try to play with 3 at the back, we could ship another 4 or more. :cry:
they may have chris houghton (sp?) - but we have Lennony FFS!!!

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:15 pm

Must win for me! Get the good vibes back.

Having said that its not a gung ho game, 1-0 is a decent result!!

Jonah
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Jonah » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:20 pm

They've had a far better February than us and generally keep things tight so it's unlikely to be a goalfest. I'd imagine a draw will be relatively short odds . More of a could win than should win . As dibble says 1 0 would be a great result . I don't think the bottom three are good enough to make points up on us so even if they nick it there's no need to panic . Milwall , Wigan and Blackpool are the outstandingly poor sides in the league and we're part of a morass of pretty average sides at present .

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:21 am

Jonah wrote:They've had a far better February than us and generally keep things tight so it's unlikely to be a goalfest. I'd imagine a draw will be relatively short odds . More of a could win than should win . As dibble says 1 0 would be a great result . I don't think the bottom three are good enough to make points up on us so even if they nick it there's no need to panic . Milwall , Wigan and Blackpool are the outstandingly poor sides in the league and we're part of a morass of pretty average sides at present .
No, but it's never too soon to start winning. Can't rely on results we "should" get and we need to be able to get something from better than bottom of the barrel sides, or we'll find ourselves back down there with them. Ball in their net and out of ours is the only answer.
Grind the wins out one way or another and if that means riding our luck, get the saddle out.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:16 am

we're 6pts above the drop zone and 22pts off the playoffs... it wasn't THAT long ago that we were pretty much equidistant and some talked quietly about troubling the top 10...

not time to panic - spot on - we've been in worse scrapes - but, neither is it grounds for excessive confidence about a promotion-push next season. There is no magic pot of gold - next season we will have a very similar motley collection of loans and freebies and existing players to the one we have now... if Lenny can't make this lot hard to beat - then I don't see why we'd be sure he can make a very similar bunch hard to beat... 9 of these players are players he has brought in himself...

for the record - no I don't want to sack Lenny - it's far too early.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:37 am

thebish wrote:we're 6pts above the drop zone and 22pts off the playoffs... it wasn't THAT long ago that we were pretty much equidistant and some talked quietly about troubling the top 10...

not time to panic - spot on - we've been in worse scrapes - but, neither is it grounds for excessive confidence about a promotion-push next season. There is no magic pot of gold - next season we will have a very similar motley collection of loans and freebies and existing players to the one we have now... if Lenny can't make this lot hard to beat - then I don't see why we'd be sure he can make a very similar bunch hard to beat... 9 of these players are players he has brought in himself...

for the record - no I don't want to sack Lenny - it's far too early.
Because, believe it or not, players are different.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:18 am

indeed - but I don't think we'll have an entirely new squad - do you? many of the players will be the same ones... it will be a very similar squad...

Don't get me wrong - come the start of next season I will BELIEVE that we will get promoted, I believe that at the start of every season (bar the ones in the Premiership - but you know what I mean!) but - looking at it in the cold light of "now" - I can't find many actual reasons to back that up other than my usual blind optimism - without that, we wouldn't be fans!

also - I don't think the job for this season is over yet - a 6pt cushion may SEEM safe - but stranger things have happened...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:09 am

Perhaps worth noting bar Amos, all January's incomings were midfielders/strikers* rather than defenders, so Lennon has thus far not overhauled the defence in terms of personnel. Which is understandable, as he (and Mjallby) had impressively moulded the incumbents - it was only Jan 27's trip to Rotherham when the arse fell out of the defence.

*Although allegedly a right-back, Janko is a winger really - and besides, was seemingly offered as bait for Kellett rather than as someone we chased.

wigan white
Reliable
Reliable

Post by wigan white » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:42 am

I have a feeling in my bones that we'll trounce these most southern of southerners - 4-1 to the NLSWA :oyea: