The Winter Hill Tale-Brighton home.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Re: The Winter Hill Tale-Brighton home.

Post by TKIZ! » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:47 am

TANGODANCER wrote:Grinding out results is all part of the pantomime. Sounds like today was one of those. All that counts,even after a dazzling display, is the points. We got them. Another three on Tuesday and things will look a whole lot better.
Here, here, TD 8)
Pfffft.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:53 am

Said it since the final days of Allardyce, and will always believe it - I couldn't care less if I've just witnessed the most boring, slow, route-1-filled game since football began. If we've scored more goals than they have, I'm going home happy. That was the case yesterday.

Looked far better second half, with Vela moved into a three man midfield and Feeney at right back. Good to see McNaughton come back, even if it is tempered by seeing Feeney limp off - hopefully just precautionary. Neither Heskey nor Le Fondre offered much.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:04 am

truewhite15 wrote:Said it since the final days of Allardyce, and will always believe it - I couldn't care less if I've just witnessed the most boring, slow, route-1-filled game since football began. If we've scored more goals than they have, I'm going home happy. That was the case yesterday.

Looked far better second half, with Vela moved into a three man midfield and Feeney at right back. Good to see McNaughton come back, even if it is tempered by seeing Feeney limp off - hopefully just precautionary. Neither Heskey nor Le Fondre offered much.
You'd really enjoy paying £26 to watch a repeat of yesterdays performance ad nauseam for 23 home games in a season?

Yesterday was horrible, and, honestly, if I had to pay all that money to watch that performance all season, I just wouldn't pay the money.

Moreover, I suspect Lennon doesn't expect us to either. He wouldn't have been happy with that performance, but I'm absolutely sure things will get better once we're safe and once we've got players back. Make no mistake, there's no way Lennon is going to turn us into a dire 1-0 factory.

So yeah, yesterday was dreadful, but it will hopefully not be a regular occurrence. And that's what I'm happy with. (as well as Clough's moment of magic).

Also, the final days of Allardyce were horrendous. I had a season ticket, it was mostly awful, awful football.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:24 am

^^

Have to agree with Jugs, not for my sake, my days are gone, but for the fans. Unless we get back to playing good and winning football we'll never return to the Bolton of times past. (if today's money-orientated industry ever allows that anyway) I've seen a few slow deaths and then resurrections over the years, but it's the moments of magic that remain, not the boring grind-outs. Add to that, most fans will just drift away unless some of that enjoyment comes back. Nothing succeeds like success.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:34 am

TANGODANCER wrote:^^

Have to agree with Jugs, not for my sake, my days are gone, but for the fans. Unless we get back to playing good and winning football we'll never return to the Bolton of times past. (if today's money-orientated industry ever allows that anyway) I've seen a few slow deaths and then resurrections over the years, but it's the moments of magic that remain, not the boring grind-outs. Add to that, most fans will just drift away unless some of that enjoyment comes back. Nothing succeeds like success.
Yep.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:45 am

Apparently, they played this at the Macron yesterday. Some of those good times shared with club legend Dave Higson?

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... _years_on/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jonah
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Jonah » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:15 pm

Even people with no connection with the wanderers appreciate the passion and humour of tge old roadrunner vids. A real shame he wasn't allowed to continue when we hit the big time . The man will always be a legend .
Too expensive to watch a game that's grim week in week out so there has to be a degree of entertainment . It's also where the memories come from . The result was all important yesterday and the clean sheet invaluable as a foundation but its games like the Watford one that everyone will still remember next season .

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:10 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Apparently, they played this at the Macron yesterday. Some of those good times shared with club legend Dave Higson?

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... _years_on/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What a fantastic tribute. You can't help but smile listening to his brilliant commentaries. Still have some of the old Roadrunner videos knocking about.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:19 pm

For anybody who hasn't seen them, the short highlights:

http://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/article/matc ... 04928.aspx

NiceHotCuppaTea
Promising
Promising

Post by NiceHotCuppaTea » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:43 pm

Few videos off the offish page today:

(Since he got mentioned)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:00 pm

Hadn't realised just how good that turn was by Clough...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:19 pm

Always hopeful wrote:For someone playing at this level not to be able to put the ball into the right place from a corner every time is absolutely inexcusable.
Gary Speed couldn't! His corners were amongst the worst I've ever seen. Though overall, yes, I agree with your point.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:22 pm

Not only were Gary Speed's corners shite, he was fecking brilliant in the air. They were a double waste!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:24 pm

Prufrock wrote:Not only were Gary Speed's corners shite, he was fecking brilliant in the air. They were a double waste!
Absolutely. One of the best headers of a ball that there's ever been, IMO.
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:55 pm

Looks like Alf had a couple of real decent chances in there and Danns was a tad unlucky after reacting well to a loose ball. Some of the antics in our box wouldn't have gone amiss at a school pantomime. Some nice bits of play mixed in with some not-so-nice.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:12 am

Goal music sounds so awful wheb there's about 11000 people just clapping. One of the worst things in football
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Bruno3
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Bruno3 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:53 am

Impressed with Amos - some good saves and not afraid to b*llock those in front of him when needed. Hope he keeps the shirt tomorrow. Wheater excellent. Danns too liable to get caught in possession p*ssing around. Think Lennon got a bit lucky when Feeney had to come off as McNaughton is a "proper" right back and allowed Vela to have, for me, his best 45 minutes. Heskey didn't contribute much.
Tedious game lit up by Clough's magic touch and finish.

Sponge
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Sponge » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:35 am

boltonboris wrote:Goal music sounds so awful wheb there's about 11000 people just clapping. One of the worst things in football

Agreed. I can't bear it. So naff. It actually spoils my enthusiasm when we score.

Seriously, is there anyone out there who likes it?

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:49 am

Bruno3 wrote:Impressed with Amos - some good saves and not afraid to b*llock those in front of him when needed. Hope he keeps the shirt tomorrow. Wheater excellent. Danns too liable to get caught in possession p*ssing around. Think Lennon got a bit lucky when Feeney had to come off as McNaughton is a "proper" right back and allowed Vela to have, for me, his best 45 minutes. Heskey didn't contribute much.
Said before the game that we needed Vela in the middle with Danns he's combative and likes to get stuck in. Danns is missing Pratters! Pratters and Danns were immense in the middle. good to hear Bannan had a decent game, hopefully he'll kick on now

Personally I can wait till next season! Clayton, Clough, Sparky, Pratters all to come back. Plus another transfer window for Lennon
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:06 pm

Bruno3 wrote:Impressed with Amos - some good saves and not afraid to b*llock those in front of him when needed. Hope he keeps the shirt tomorrow. Wheater excellent. Danns too liable to get caught in possession p*ssing around. Think Lennon got a bit lucky when Feeney had to come off as McNaughton is a "proper" right back and allowed Vela to have, for me, his best 45 minutes. Heskey didn't contribute much.
He provided me with the best entertainment of the match in the first half!!