After the last match, Reading the riot act - match thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: After the last match, Reading the riot act - match threa

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:53 pm

Given the level of injuries is there mo way we could get the FL to agree to us having mote loanees in the squad as emergency measure?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:00 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote: While we're at it, our Emergency Loans have been
Ben Amos
Chris Herd
Owen Garvan
Who he?
That Villa defender that played about 1 game and was never seen again. One of Dougie's last ones I think..

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:05 pm

presumably we can still sign out-of-contract players?

anyone got a list??

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:06 pm

Zat!!

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:08 pm

thebish wrote:presumably we can still sign out-of-contract players?

anyone got a list??
Didn't BoltonBoris play right back? I could manage left midfield, but not sure I'd last more than 5 minutes these days :oops:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:25 pm

Despite all the valiant defending and good play we've had, the fact remains, these goals against scored in the last minute, or even injury time are a worry. The difference between about nine points could have been ours in games supposedly won and then dealth a death blow in the dying seconds. It's worrying, to say the least. More than once we've deserved better.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruno3
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Bruno3 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:32 pm

Help my ageing memory - when did we last score in injury time to nick a point?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:53 pm

Last time a goal 85+ got us anything that I could find was away at Huddersfield at the back end of last season with a 90th min Mason winner.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruno3
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Bruno3 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:07 pm

Prufrock wrote:Last time a goal 85+ got us anything that I could find was away at Huddersfield at the back end of last season with a 90th min Mason winner.
It does seem to happen a lot more against us than for us

NiceHotCuppaTea
Promising
Promising

Post by NiceHotCuppaTea » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:31 pm

I know the ref and injuries are the main talking points, but I'm not seeing anyone's take on Mackie faking an injury after scoring and jumping about for a minute or so. Stick around on the video after he scores - you'll see what I mean.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:33 pm

Bruno3 wrote:
Prufrock wrote:Last time a goal 85+ got us anything that I could find was away at Huddersfield at the back end of last season with a 90th min Mason winner.
It does seem to happen a lot more against us than for us
In the league: Reading, Watford (though we only drew level in the 85th) and Wolves recently, and Brum at the end of last season have taken points from us after 85 mins since that Huddersfield game.

Plus Huddersfield scored an 85th minute winner this season too (not technically 85+); however, in Dougie's one win this season we went 2-1 up in the 80th minute, pegged back to 2-2 in the 82, before Mason completed his hat-trick in the 84th.

Cups are different, and have been mad. In the FA Cup, Liverpool scored twice 85+ to beat us. However, in the League Cup we equalised in the 97th minute (!) before going on to win in extra time against the Bucket Shakers, and then thought we'd beaten Crewe scoring in the 92nd minute, before they equalised in the 98th (!). We then won in extra time.

It definitely *feels* like it happens to us a lot more. Recent games have had the feel of that first (second?) year in the Prem under Sam where we just couldn't hold a lead. Psychologically knowing we'd have to hold out without fresh legs might've had an effect.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:28 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Jonah wrote:Lennon said the three injuries could be long term and he may have to go back in the loan market
Not as easy as that considering we can only have five in the matchday squad. We need Amos and I doubt he'd drop ALF or Bannan, so even if we got two more bodies in that would mean we couldn't use Janko, Slavchev, Rochinha or McNaughton. Not the most enormous losses, perhaps, but as the world found out in 2009, borrowing isn't a panacea.

Interestingly, according to the Football League rules:
53.2.7 Standard Loans which subsequently become permanent transfers (which can occur any time during the period of the Standard Loan) shall not count against a Club’s quota of such Standard Loans for that Season.
Note, though, that that only applies to Standard Loans (window-to-window) not Emergency Loans (month-to-month up to a maximum of 93 days). So we could strike a deal for ALF, Bannan or Janko, but not Amos.

For the record, clubs are allowed eight Standard Loans a season - four who were under 23 (on the 30 Jun before the season) and four who were 23 or above – and we've had seven:
McNaughton
Le Fondre
Bannan
Mason (U23)
Rochinha (U23)
Slavchev (U23)
Janko (U23)

While we're at it, our Emergency Loans have been
Ben Amos
Chris Herd
Owen Garvan
Does the loan system still apply yo international deals or is that we can loan more players from just one club like Watford?
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:42 pm

malcd1 wrote:Does the loan system still apply to international deals or is that we can loan more players from just one club like Watford?
Yes it does:
53.4.3 the defined term of Standard Loan in Regulations 53.2.5 to 53.2.7 inclusive shall be deemed to include International Loans such that International Loans shall count towards the quotas set out therein
thebish wrote:presumably we can still sign out-of-contract players?
Yes we can:
56.2 A Club may only register a Non-Contract Player (subject to the provisions of Regulation 41.5) during a Closed Period if he is an Unemployed Player.
officer_dibble wrote:Given the level of injuries is there no way we could get the FL to agree to us having mote loanees in the squad as emergency measure?
Apparently not. You can apply under "extenuating circumstances" (rule 53.3.12) to extend a loan beyond 93 days, but not to extend the number of loanees in the matchday squad. We do have an Academy...

Tails07
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Tails07 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:12 pm

Time to try some of the kids I would say. We are more or less safe now as the bottom 3 are dire and we aren't getting playoffs this season.

Threlkeld can play right-back, Hayden White is another full back (left I think). Lets see what the kids are made of now we're playing Championship football next season, it's not really worth bring any more loans in with the 5 in the squad rule.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:27 pm

I avoided posting last night for two reasons, 1. I was feckin furious and 2. The m6 was shut so I didn't get home till midnight.......making me even madder.

As a some time amateur refreferee, I often think refs get an unfair press. Last night however, was the worst refereeing performance I have ever seen in forty years of watching football. He basically lost control after ten minutes and never got it back. He rarely kept up with play, appeared to have briefed hus assistants not to assist, even in their quarter of the field and at,least 3 times, gave a decision then changed his mind.

Gutted we conceded so late on and we should have done the simple thing and kept possession, BUT , we created 6 good chances and only conceded once. That's progress if sorts.

And now for the best bit. We could, if luck is with us, end up relegating Millwall, then Wigan and Blackpool. Now that my friends, would be a great end to a season.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:34 pm

did the 'them taking our throwin' occur?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:25 pm

jaffka wrote:did the 'them taking our throwin' occur?
He couldn't decide whether to give danns a free kick when he was fouled. The ball cane off danns so it was either our free kick or their throw in. I think he just got mixed up and indicated our throw, so when reading took it just froze and let it go. Utter incompetence.

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:26 pm

jaffka wrote:did the 'them taking our throwin' occur?
if you are referring to what I think you are.

It was their throw in. True to form the ref gave it to us. Then looked at his liner who'd given it to them. He wasn't particularly clear at the time (to the fans anyway but may have shouted to the players) but they then took it and from the looks of it he started to try and indicate by kind of pointing in the direction of his liner (coz he was getting abuse from players and fans) that he was following his liners decision.

Its weird really. I usually get pissed off by the pathetic non fouls and infringements that players buy off each other and refs give. Last nights ref made a cardinal sin of letting a couple of bad challenges go unpunished early on, which riled the crowd. He then just seemed to lose it and allow the Reading players to do all the narky little things, stand over the ball, bully him into decisions etc, which of course just riled the crowd even more.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:29 pm

I also think he knew he was messing up, so let mills get away with haring across the field and screaming in his face more than once. He looked completely out of his depth.

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:31 pm

Tails07 wrote:Time to try some of the kids I would say. We are more or less safe now as the bottom 3 are dire and we aren't getting playoffs this season.

Threlkeld can play right-back, Hayden White is another full back (left I think). Lets see what the kids are made of now we're playing Championship football next season, it's not really worth bring any more loans in with the 5 in the squad rule.
might have agreed with you if we'd have won last night.
see wigan are winning at mo