Looking forward

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Jonah
Hopeful
Hopeful

Looking forward

Post by Jonah » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:31 am

What sort of squad are we likely to put together for next season ? With so many players at the end of contract and so many loans in and out and the financial restraints it's pretty messy. Would be interesting to know what folk think.
Of the loans in janko and amos are viable and we've already signed a right back , centre half and striker but of those only the right back sounds like a show in. Bannan and alf would be good signings if we can afford them but the better they perform now the more expensive tgey will become . McCarthy could provide affordable cover if wheater goes .
Mills, pratley and cravies have probably done enough to earn new contracts if they accept reasonable terms though cravies injury problems almost make him a pay as you play candidate . Spearing we need to sell and baptiste likewise if he doesn't want to pay for us rather than let them run their contracts down on loan . Wheater Mavis and trotter could be released to cut the wage bill. Heskey and/or gudjohnsen could be kept around if there's an additional role they can take on but it's hard to justify their wages at the expense of signing a player with a future.
If we had 6m to spend I reckon we could be challenging top 6 but we don't . I expect a top priority would be a target man with a decent fitness record. Someone like a jutkievitz. If alf is beyond us we still have Clayton , clough and pratley to come back and young Hughes who may or may not be a natural goalscorer.
Interesting times .

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Looking forward

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:03 am

Jonah wrote:Wheater Mavis and trotter could be released to cut the wage bill.
I really doubt it.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:21 am

I think it will be a busy summer - but I have no idea how much actual cash money Lenny will be given to spend... probably not very much... the question will be whether he can keep to the same financial restrictions as dougie did but not get sucked into a spiral of negativity as i suspect dougie did... has Lenny got an eye for a hungry, run-through-walls bargain? that's what we'll find out...

what I would be very nervous of (though I doubt Lenny will put all his eggs in one basket) - is the idea that we build the whole team and style of play around Clough... very risky strategy, especially given Clough's not-that-great injury record (see Mavis!) since breaking into the first team. FAR better - as someone else has already suggested (sorry - I forgot who you are) - that we build a team capable of playing to Clough's strengths... - actually, more than that - that we build a squad capable of being shuffled to play in more than one way depending on the opposition...

that's a tall order with no budget to speak of - but that's Lenny's job - and it's what he's paid for and it's what he signed up for... Come August I shall be rampantly optimistic!

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:26 am

Can I put an early request in for us to absolutely smash all the teams we play in our pre-season friendlies?

It seems a long time since we did this and means we start the season on a less than positive note.

I want to see 5-0 wins all the way. Oh, and a couple of away games down here wouldn't go amiss either. Barnet, Enfield, Stevenage etc.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:44 am

thebish wrote:that we build a squad capable of being shuffled to play in more than one way depending on the opposition...
I have faith in Lennon's ability to try different systems; he's been flexible so far, with his early 4-2-3-1 changing to a back three and, recently, to a 4-4-2. Liverpool cup game aside, I think this has been less about the opposition than our available players - either a lack of them (full-backs) or a preponderance of options (two up top reflecting the arrival of ALF and emergence of Clough).

Jonah
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Jonah » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:57 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Jonah wrote:Wheater Mavis and trotter could be released to cut the wage bill.
I really doubt it.
If we sign bannan I can't see Mavis being in the same 11. Given Mavis injury record we'd be better off cutting our losses . If we don't sign bannan Mavis is still likely to break down . If we are lucky he may manage to string a few decent games together and if someone is mad enough to offer us money we should take it.
Wheater likewise is injury prone and on a high wage with a year left on his contract ? There's not much between him and mills except mills be be on a slightly lower wage. He can be a decent centre half but his lack of pace and injury record make it questionable whether he really is worth keeping . Trotter, well he won't be on much but I can't see how he would fit . Lennon can't really have much faith in him or he wouldn't have brought in coke and slavchev . He may get opportunities as the season runs down but if he doesn't cut it I wouldn't be surprised to see him go on a free . Of course they are all under contract so even if we wanted to move them on they might not go . They could be loaned out though . In baptiste we possibly have a better centre half than wheater and mills so really we either need to get some money for him or get him back here for preseason .

It wouldn't surprise me if Lennon takes a route of selecting two different outfits home and away next season . The back five would be constant but he seems to be leaning toward a physical long ball approach away and something more expansive at home . It would make sense given how knackered some of the players playing every game have been and the number of injury prone players we have on our books .

Building a team around a player is a premier league fantasy . Clough is decent but really, build a team around a lightweight 19 year old ? He doesn't direct traffic or dictate play ! He can finish and has good feet and a brain but he's nowhere near the level where he can be played through. The reality is we need to develop systems that make the best of what we have to work with and that may involve a different approach away to the one we take at home.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:44 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
thebish wrote:that we build a squad capable of being shuffled to play in more than one way depending on the opposition...
I have faith in Lennon's ability to try different systems; he's been flexible so far, with his early 4-2-3-1 changing to a back three and, recently, to a 4-4-2. Liverpool cup game aside, I think this has been less about the opposition than our available players - either a lack of them (full-backs) or a preponderance of options (two up top reflecting the arrival of ALF and emergence of Clough).
aye - that's true... but we haven't always had quite as much faith that the players he had at his disposal to deploy in these formations were always ideally suited! So I'd like to see a squad that has that flexibility rather than build the team around one player...

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:23 pm

I suspect next season will see us start with none of our Premiership experienced players. Mills and Wheater will be released as will Bogdan, and Mavies could and probably should depart. We might just keep hold of Tim Ream.

If we look what Bournemouth have achieved with a squad of League 1 players, we know that success can be had on a limited budget. For me, Lennon is the right man at the right time to lead a regeneration of the entire playing staff. Building a team around a solid spine will mean an entirely new back four and keeping hold of Pratley (Who would have predicted that 12 months ago?) Clough and Clayton. If we can steal Le Fondre for £3 million, he'd be a great acquisition, but I don't think we'll have the money to fund that level of deal, which means another striker on loan or a dip on someone like Garner at Preston.

Critically, we need another defensive midfielder to cover for Danns and I can't see Spearing coming back. Whoever starts the summer transfer thread could well see something of a torrid time!
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:26 pm

I think it foolish to build any team on one player, given the vicissitudes of fitness and form. Even if he keeps playing to a high standard, a good man-marker will ruin you.

I also think it foolish to pay people not to play for us, by releasing them. Maybe Wheater or Mavis could be offered on a wage-subsidised long-term loan - the exit strategy used for Keith Andrews, Baptiste, Spearing, etc - but I don't think there's any chance at all that we will simply terminate their contracts: that would require us paying at the very least 50% of their remaining dues, when we'd hope the loaning club would pay more than that (thus further cutting our losses).

While Trotter may be packing a suitcase, I don't even think Wheater or Mavis will be out on loan. Well, Wheater perhaps, but not Davies, the kind of player Lennon tends to love. I know talk is cheap but I think the manager will be careful not to bin the baby with bath-water.

Lennon on Mavis:
Nov 14: "It’s a huge blow for us. He’s been working really hard recently and offers us that something different."
There’s no question you are going to miss someone of Mark’s quality. He brings something different to the team and to the midfield because he’s a different type of player, more dynamic. We missed it a little bit at the weekend against Blackpool. But in terms of looking for a like-for-like replacement, they are incredibly hard to find and would cost a lot of money as well."

Feb 18: "It’ll be a massive boost for us [when he returns]. You definitely miss a player of that quality. It’s been a huge blow because he was looking good, he was working hard on his game and his fitness levels – he was cruising. I’ve only had the chance to work with him for two or three games and I quickly realised what a very good player he really is."

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:07 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote: Lennon on Mavis:
I’ve only had the chance to work with him for two or three games..

which is about as long as any previous manager has had to work with him, to be fair!! :wink:

Jonah
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Jonah » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:10 pm

You talk a lot of sense as ever dsb but if the opportunity to move wheater on and free up part of his wages comes about I would hope we take it. Lennon has said a lot of nice things about Mavis as he did about cyl. A lot will depend on whether bannan comes in. It's not a case of not rating Mavis or wheater as championship players it's just they are high earners who spend a lot of time injured . You wouldn't want to work out their wages per game played !
They are under contract though and unlikely to be offered as good a contract elsewhere so it does put us over a barrel . As you say a loan out maybe the most likely option with wheater . In the unlikely event Mavis gets a clean run of games and an offer comes in we'd be wise to take it . Not much point loaning him out as he'd be back on our treatment table within a month .

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:24 pm

I think you were both at cross-purposes on what Jonah meant by "release"!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Jonah
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Jonah » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:37 pm

In fairness pru I initially meant as in free transfer but that won't happen due to their contracts. There's always the chance mavies will stay fit but it seems very unlikely . He's averaged 14 league games a season and shoulder and knee problems don't improve with age . Trotter might go on a free if someone wants to match his wages . It does make you wonder why we gave mavies such a long contract given his fitness record. Wheater likewise , doubt we will be so generous in the future . We really were throwing our pennies about .

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:57 pm

Financial prudence is certainly the way forward, but that's nowt new: one man's panacea can be another man's poison. Freedman loaned out Coyle's overpaid underplayed gravy-trainers like Andrews; Lennon's doing the same with Spearing; Freedman even did it with his own bloke, Baptiste. I dare say whoever follows Lennon will stare in disbelief at some or other contract saying "How much?! How long?!!", although AFAIK Lennon has only signed Twardzik beyond this season.

It’s 13 months since I updated the contract expiry thread, and I know thebish has updated those up for grabs this summer, but at that point those contracted beyond this summer were:
Cian Bolger [since released to Southend]
Alex Baptiste
Hayden White
David Wheater
Marc Tierney
Medo Kamara [loaned to Maccabi Haifa but still contracted]
Rob Hall
Tom Eaves [loaned to Bury but still contracted]
Sanmi Odelusi [loaned to Coventry but still contracted]
Conor Wilkinson [loaned to Oldham but still contracted]

Mark Davies
Jay Spearing
AFAIK none of the players who, as of Feb 2014, had contracts ending this summer have yet been offered extensions:
Adam Bogdan
Andy Lonergan
Joe Riley
Matt Mills
Tim Ream
Keith Andrews
Josh Vela
Darren Pratley
Yannick Bastos
Chung-Yong Lee
Chris Lester
Luke Woodland
Tom Youngs
Jermaine Beckford
Marvin Sordell
Craig Davies
Zach Clough

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:01 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Financial prudence is certainly the way forward, but that's nowt new: one man's panacea can be another man's poison. Freedman loaned out Coyle's overpaid underplayed gravy-trainers like Andrews; Lennon's doing the same with Spearing; Freedman even did it with his own bloke, Baptiste. I dare say whoever follows Lennon will stare in disbelief at some or other contract saying "How much?! How long?!!", although AFAIK Lennon has only signed Twardzik beyond this season.

It’s 13 months since I updated the contract expiry thread, and I know thebish has updated those up for grabs this summer, but at that point those contracted beyond this summer were:
Alex Baptiste
Hayden White
David Wheater
Marc Tierney
Rob Hall

Mark Davies
Jay Spearing
AFAIK none of the players who, as of Feb 2014, had contracts ending this summer have yet been offered extensions:
Adam Bogdan
Andy Lonergan
Joe Riley
Matt Mills
Tim Ream
Keith Andrews
Josh Vela
Darren Pratley
Yannick Bastos
Chung-Yong Lee
Chris Lester
Luke Woodland
Tom Youngs
Jermaine Beckford
Marvin Sordell
Craig Davies
Zach Clough
Clough signed an extension a month or two ago.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:11 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Financial prudence is certainly the way forward, but that's nowt new: one man's panacea can be another man's poison. Freedman loaned out Coyle's overpaid underplayed gravy-trainers like Andrews; Lennon's doing the same with Spearing; Freedman even did it with his own bloke, Baptiste. I dare say whoever follows Lennon will stare in disbelief at some or other contract saying "How much?! How long?!!", although AFAIK Lennon has only signed Twardzik beyond this season.

Alex Baptiste
Hayden White
David Wheater
Marc Tierney
Rob Hall

Mark Davies
Jay Spearing
Adam Bogdan
Andy Lonergan
Joe Riley
Matt Mills
Tim Ream
Keith Andrews
Josh Vela
Darren Pratley
Yannick Bastos
Chung-Yong Lee
Chris Lester
Luke Woodland
Tom Youngs
Jermaine Beckford
Marvin Sordell
Craig Davies
Zach Clough

I know in many ways its an overpaid, pampered profession, but looking at that list brings home what an unstable, transient one it is. One managers Pele is anothers pratley an all that.

Jonah
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Jonah » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:25 pm

StaffsTrotter wrote:

Alex Baptiste
Hayden White
David Wheater
Marc Tierney
Rob Hall

Mark Davies
Jay Spearing
Adam Bogdan
Andy Lonergan
Joe Riley
Matt Mills
Tim Ream
Keith Andrews
Josh Vela
Darren Pratley
Yannick Bastos
Chung-Yong Lee
Chris Lester
Luke Woodland
Tom Youngs
Jermaine Beckford
Marvin Sordell
Craig Davies
Zach Clough

I know in many ways its an overpaid, pampered profession, but looking at that list brings home what an unstable, transient one it is. One managers Pele is anothers pratley an all that.
Very true and you can't blame anyone for taking a secure contract when things are going well for them. Not many professions are that secure now. Temporary contracts are very popular in all walks of life.
I thought Vela had signed a new contract too. Hall doesn't appear to have a future here.I hadn't realised Ream's contract was up. Surely he's one we should look to keep.Odelusi has been scoring a few from the bench at coventry and Wilkinson had his contract extended by Lennon I thought.I like the fact we are getting youngsters first team football now either by getting them out on loan or if they are near championship level getting them involved with the first team.

Jonah
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Jonah » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:55 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:I suspect next season will see us start with none of our Premiership experienced players. Mills and Wheater will be released as will Bogdan, and Mavies could and probably should depart. We might just keep hold of Tim Ream.

If we look what Bournemouth have achieved with a squad of League 1 players, we know that success can be had on a limited budget. For me, Lennon is the right man at the right time to lead a regeneration of the entire playing staff. Building a team around a solid spine will mean an entirely new back four and keeping hold of Pratley (Who would have predicted that 12 months ago?) Clough and Clayton. If we can steal Le Fondre for £3 million, he'd be a great acquisition, but I don't think we'll have the money to fund that level of deal, which means another striker on loan or a dip on someone like Garner at Preston.
Critically, we need another defensive midfielder to cover for Danns and I can't see Spearing coming back. Whoever starts the summer transfer thread could well see something of a torrid time!
Not sure he'd be any less expensive than Le Fondre. He looks a very complete striker in terms of being able to create a goal from all manner of situation though he's not a target man or a poacher. We will have Clayton and Clough who potentially can play a similar role. Lennon likes to have a physical presence up top, especially away from home, and neither Heskey nor Cravies are likely to remain fit to play regularly. Someone in the mould of Hanson(Bradford) or Jutkiewitz might be more likely targets. I'd hope Cravies stays on but given his fitness problems he's more likely to end up being used as an impact sub. If he plays 90 mins regularly he knackers his hamstring and takes an age to recover.He's not the sort who would be any use trying to play within himself.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:05 pm

No chance we'll be able to afford Garner! Especially if they come up. Took £8m to persuade Huddersfield to part with Rhodes.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:25 pm

Timmy is with us to 2017...

http://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/article/tim- ... 19544.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;