Wigan, away.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Wigan, away.

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:09 pm

Jonah wrote:
Prufrock wrote:It happened under Allardyce and he fixed it. Hopefully Lennon can too. Am convinced Lennon is the best we've had since Allardyce and that he will...though I got v excited about Coyle and to a lesser extent Freedman too, so what do I know...
Me too pru ! But I think there's a bit more substance to our latest management set up . Lennon doesn't appear delusion and isn't showing any signs of depressive symptoms yet .
I noticed Mjällby was a permanent fixture in the technical area at the Millwall game, certainly in the second half. This says to me that NL has delegated and given him an amount of responsibility for defending. I have no idea how any of the managers work but this strikes me as a good thing, and might not have happened under some previous managers.

Anything like that happen today? Not that it helped!
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:19 pm

Whilst I get trotters under contract and Lennon is hoping he'll perform. But I do think the man is gash.

Twilight mentioned about him touching the ball only a handful of times. I remember thinking during the game that the commentators iirc did not mention him once and I checked the team sheet to see if he was playing.

Honest
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:36 pm

Enoch wrote:In Lennon's first 15 league games we conceded a dozen goals and the new regime were lauded for the transformation.

The next 13 have yielded 28 and the coaching staff bear no responsibility!

We like Lennon, in some way he pleases the eye, makes us feel good, so it must be the players at fault.

To consider otherwise as a possibility would be ridiculous.

Why so black and white, (what's wrong with a bit of grey?)
ask Barry Bannan not me!

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:48 pm

Lennon mentioned the reason why Vela didn't start was because he's struggled with a slight injury this week.
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:56 pm

Jugs wrote:I have some sympathy for Bish. If this was Freedman in charge, with his team conceding late goal after late goal, he'd have been lynched.
While that's true, if it were Freedman conceding late goal after late goal, he'd currently be doing it on the back of a run of shit away results, plus a run of shit home results whilst rock bottom of the table. And with really, really greasy hair.

Lennon is currently conceding late goal after late goal while at least holding a fair run of home results and we're safe. Ok, he's ginger; but no one's perfect.
Businesswoman of the year.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:57 pm

It's not Lennon's fault that the players he inherited are mentally weak. The late goal thing starts and ends there for me. Unless he scares them into making late mistakes with his aggressive nature, which is unlikely, and would still indicate mental weakness.

However he is certainly responsible for picking a weak midfield that doesn't protect a vulnerable defence, all within a system that repeatedly doesn't work. He had to pick trotter today, but should have had the physical presence of Coke alongside him behind rochina, not a lightweight like Bannan. The late goal wouldn't have mattered if we'd got our just deserts during the match.
He reminds me of the latter days of coyle with some of these midfield selections, although clearly he hasn't the same options. He's not managing flat track bullies on the spl now.
I like him, am glad we got him and want him to do well of course but he's not beyond criticism.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:58 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:
Jugs wrote:I have some sympathy for Bish. If this was Freedman in charge, with his team conceding late goal after late goal, he'd have been lynched.
While that's true, if it were Freedman conceding late goal after late goal, he'd currently be doing it on the back of a run of shit away results, plus a run of shit home results whilst rock bottom of the table. And with really, really greasy hair.

Lennon is currently conceding late goal after late goal while at least holding a fair run of home results and we're safe. Ok, he's ginger; but no one's perfect.
that's the clincher! :lol:

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:23 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:

What about doing it on the back of stubbornly sticking with 3-5-2, though?

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:39 pm

LeverEnd wrote:It's not Lennon's fault that the players he inherited are mentally weak.
He inherited less than half of the team that started today, but you crack on spouting bollocks
Sto ut Serviam

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:45 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:It's not Lennon's fault that the players he inherited are mentally weak.
He inherited less than half of the team that started today, but you crack on spouting bollocks
feck you you miserable c*nt

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:49 pm

Or in other words, 'I was talking shite and the majority of the players have been signed by Lennon'

Crack on
Sto ut Serviam

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:04 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:Or in other words, 'I was talking shite and the majority of the players have been signed by Lennon'

Crack on
The majority of the defence hasn't. And it's an ongoing problem.
But you know what, I may well be wrong, I was just taking part in a civilised discussion about who is to blame for the late goals, my point being that if he's inherited mentally weak players that it's not his fault. If his own players are that way then it obviously is.

But anyway you're not interested in all that. You just pop up every now and then to snipe at people. Evidently not to contribute anything pleasant or constructive.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:05 pm

Two of today's starting eleven were Freedman signings.

Mind you they're probably bad enough to drag the rest down.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:10 pm

Enoch wrote:Two of today's starting eleven were Freedman signings.

Well yes, the point I'm making is that Lennon is not beyond criticism.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:15 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Enoch wrote:Two of today's starting eleven were Freedman signings.

Well yes, the point I'm making is that Lennon is not beyond criticism.
Me too, not that I particularly want to critcise the fella.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:26 pm

LeverEnd wrote:You just pop up every now and then to snipe at people. Evidently not to contribute anything pleasant or constructive.
Its not me telling folk to fcuk off for simply pointing out what was being posted was shite
Sto ut Serviam

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:04 am

twilight wrote:Lennon was going absolutely mad on the touchline telling everybody to push forward but the players weren't listening, it seems as if they just freeze.
remember when megson sold nolan for ignoring that ?

and its six years or whatever later.

jesus

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:20 am

megson out!

Jonah
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Jonah » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:31 am

Lennon's approach yesterday made sense mostly when you look at it . Rochinha had a good game midweek and he set out with a team he felt could win against opponents struggling at home . To use rochinha ( and next season clough) in their most effective position does mean 3 5 2 and its a formation we could do with learning to use effectively . Someone mentioned playing one up top with rochinha in the hole but without someone with pratleys mobility getting up to join them that would put too much weight on a lone striker holding the ball .
We needed a big fella to make it stick and an alf to play off him ( alf may not have been 100% but was worth a gamble )
Soon as we go 3 5 2 we need wingbacks who can track back . Vela wasn't fully fit and janko can't be relied on to do the defensive side yet so feeney ( also not 100%) and walker ( could have been moxey) made sense . Walker nicked a goal and did ok.
At the back he understandably stuck with amos although he could have put bogdan in and given himself the option janko on the bench or playing coke ahead of trotter and he kept ream in although dervite may be a better option in a three .
It wasn't a surprise to see bannan start, a midfield of coke and trotter is more suited to long ball . Had vela been fit and coke free to play it may have given us a better balance but once amos was picked that wasn't an option and trotter being on contract needs to be given games. Yes we don't think he's goin to do a pratley but Lennon has to see for himself. Trotter is contracted and a problem over which a decision needs to be made in the summer. Better to make it having given him an opportunity .
We set out to win and didn't take a few early chances after which Wigan took control . Taking off rochinha on the hour and switching to 442 made sense though it didn't change our lightweight central midfield , putting cravies on when he did also made sense . Alf wasn't in the game and we were under pressure . Likewise moxey for a tiring walker a sane defensive switch to try and hold out .
It's worth remembering that alf, feeney and vela may not have been fully fit. In theory lennon's decisions all make sense except possibly the decision to continue with amos which unnecessarily limited our loan options and persisting with ream in a back three but again ream is under contract and if we are going to use a three regularly next year he could do with being able to play in that system .
The late goal thing is what it is . Maybe it's a mental issue but realistically these games where we concede late have also been games where we could easily have conceded earlier as opponents have been in top and missing chances throughout the game .
There's all sorts of things behind the relatively poor performance but we stole a draw in a game we deserved to lose which has to be a plus .
We will have more players fully fit after the break , Mavis may be back and danns will be . The half fit( feeney, alf, vela, janko) should be back at 100%. We are pretty much safe and planning for next season. It's an ideal opportunity for the manager to try things out and make decisions so yes we will see 352 not because he's stubborn and inflexible but because its a system we could do with being able to use as we have talented players who suit playing in the hole and we will probably see players given games to see if they can be useful next season as trotter has been in the last two . It's fair and sensible management .
It was a good result yesterday. We didn't lose away against a much improved Wigan team and lennon continues to learn more about what he has to work with and what he may choose not to work with .

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:11 am

Trotter is fecking rubbish....he is absolutely utter dog shite, get rid.

If he is in the side next season we will be in the same position as we are now, its like playing with 10 men he adds nothing, slow, lethargic, disinterested.

Ream, Mills & Feeney can also go for me along with Danns

There is a total lack of character throughout this side