Contracts: the summer juggle

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who should we get back next season?

Poll ended at Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:54 am

Adam Le Fondre
10%
Adam Bogdan
6%
Andy Lonergan
6%
Matt Mills
5%
Luke Woodland
2%
Darren Pratley
10%
Chris Lester
1%
Craig Davies
8%
Eidur Gudjohnsen
10%
Emile Heskey
4%
Georg Iliev
2%
Ben Amos
7%
Kevin McNaughton
2%
Paddy McCarthy
3%
Simeon Slavchev
1%
Jordan Lussey
3%
Giles Coke
1%
Barry Bannan
9%
Saidy Janko
6%
Rochinha
6%

Total votes: 519

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Contracts: the summer juggle

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:54 am

According to the Contract Expiry thread, there are 24 players on Bolton's books who we don't have tied down for next season: 10 loanees and 14 Wanderers who are only contracted to summer.

Simply: Which of them would you like to see at the club next season? You can tick as many boxes as you like; the poll won't ask for your financial explanation (and we don't know how much different players will demand), although you should feel free to speak your brains below.

(Note: TW polls only allow for 20 entries, so I've taken the liberty of excising Andy Hughes, Keith Andrews, Jermaine Beckford and Quade Taylor from the list.)

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Contracts: the summer juggle

Post by CrazyHorse » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:08 am

Lonners, Pratters, Daviers, Eiders, Emilers and Barry Bannan.
Businesswoman of the year.

Vertigo
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Vertigo » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:11 am

Realistically, whichever of the 3 keepers listed is cheapest. Glenville if possible, because he is the first genuine goal threat we've had in a while. Pratters based on his form right before his injury. Eidur and Heskey can do jobs if the price isn't too high. Bannan has been just about our best and most consistent since he arrived so I'd like to see him hang around as well.

cophilie
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by cophilie » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:12 am

I went for:

Lonners (doubt we'll keep both keepers and I think he's more likely than Bogdan)
Craig Davies (as demonstrated yesterday, he's clearly a hot-shot striker in the making)
Eidur (because, he's Eidur)
Pratters (ridiculous transformation, and has been dearly missed)

and from the loanees:

Bannan (potential for real quality in the midfield, so long as he can be bothered to play)
ALF (I thought he was just a poacher when he came but has really impressed me)
Janko (young and pacy so potential to grow into an actual footballer, would hate for him to come on loan again, develop into a better player, then leave)
Rochinha (be good to have a flair player for when Mark Davies is injured)
Amos (Essential if Lonners and Bogdan leave, but a good option for a keeper provided his wages aren't ridiculous)

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:26 am

All comes down to money and what players will cost. The OAPs seem to still offer something and both would be worth keeping if they are relatively cheap to do so. Davies is a tough one. I like that he's a trier and can be a nuisance, but his injury record and ability to score are questionable. If he's cheap enough, then he's useful to have around, but I'd like to see who else is achievable before making a decision on him.

Goalkeepers is the big conundrum. If we can get Amos for sensible money then he might be the one to keep. Bogdan I think will be offered better elsewhere. I'd like to see Lonnergan stay as long as his wages are sensible and he's happy to slug it out with Amos. Amos is the long term number 1 for me and Lonnergan is a great number 2 to keep him on his toes.

Pratley deserves a chance. He's taken some stick, but he's always given his all and seems to be transformed under Lennon. We shouldn't chuck silly money at him mind.

ALF is a good striker at this level and we'd do well to keep him. Can't see Cardiff letting us have him for nowt though.

Mills doesn't offer enough for me. Goodbye.

Bannan seems to have plenty to offer, but maybe on a part time basis from the sounds of it. Do we gamble on Mavies getting fit or not? I'm not sure and I suppose it depends on cost.

The rest I'm either not bothered about, or not seen/heard enough of to have a view. We need a clear out and for me the peripheral players like Trotter and Moxey should be sent on their way by any means possible. I'd rather invest in a strong 11/12 and plug gaps with the youngsters than have a large squad of never been or will be type players.

Going to be an interesting summer and much will depend on who can be ushered out and who should be given another chance. What happens to Spearing, Baptiste et al will have a strong bearing on things due to their wages.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:39 pm

We have these kind of discussions most years, but as a general rule and with the money we've got, I'd be amazed to see even a small number of those players still here next year. We'll have to make choices....

I'd like to keep hold of Le Fondre and Craig Davies. Probably Pratters.

Is BazBan just a cheaper, Championship way of having a Mavies in your squad?

Heart says Bogdan, but wallet and pragmatism probably says Lonners. I'd be amazed if we kept both. Unless huge wage cuts are accepted. I've never seen it before.

Again heart says Eidurgur, but not sure he'll be worth the wages of another full season. Even Lennon admitted his and Heskey's legs are going, though then contradicted it by saying Eidur had plenty left! I think from those comments we'll probably see him in some capacity next year. I doubt we'll see both.

And, just to play devils avocado, are any of them irreplaceable? (When I look at that list, I only really get nervous about losing keepers, a couple of midfielders and all those forwards). I can't remember a summer that might see so many changes. Could be a good thing.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:57 pm

Looking at it with pure pragmatism, I went for 10 of the 20. I didn't mean to, it's just how it happened.

Of the three goalkeepers, I went for Amos, as having potentially the best future (and, not unconnectedly, resale value). I like Lonners and I've nothing against Boggers but I reckon we're more likely to get a Paddy Kenny type as back-up.

Pratley presumably won't wont the earth, seems to have been well-liked by each of the last three managers (until Freedman saw his arse about that red at Forest) and can play in a couple of different positions. Much of the same goes for Cravies, who will work like a dog for you and hopefully open spaces for the creatives behind him (our best spell was with him up top in a 4-2-3-1).

I'd also keep Luke Woodland, Chris Lester and Georg Iliev around the place for another year, see if they kick on to be good enough for our team or a sell-on clause.

(So farewell, then: Boggers, Lonners, Mills, Eidur & Emile. Unless you want a wage which is less of a golden handshake than a state pension.)

Of the loanees, I'd love to get ALF back (but I doubt it). Barry Bannan's quite likely, considering Palace are consolidating in the top flight. Jordan Lussey's worth a look, and Saidy Janko provides both pace and positional flexibility (currently winger and wing-back, hopefully in future full-back too). Goodbye and good luck to McNaughton, McCarthy, Slavchev, Coke and Rochinha.

(As an aside, it's interesting to see who the popular votes are going for...)

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:32 pm

ALF, Boggers, Mills, Pratz, Cravies, Eidur, Bannan and Janko are what I went for.

Wage bill looks like it's almost there, hopefully will be once hopefully Spearing and the out-of-contracts go. So keep the good 'uns and go for a small, good, consistent squad. I'd try to keep Boggers as I think he's the best of the three (though I've slagged him off plenty, he's not THAT good). If not, try to get Lonners and Amos and go for competition.

Possibly Baptiste back if as a CB, or gone for wages, Clayton, Clough and Mavies back. Plus the odd free and a proper manager and we're laughing. Some full backs would be nice, too.

#Promotion
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:06 pm

Is next season the last of the parachute payments? If so, we've another 8m to shed in the next 12 months.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:16 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:Is next season the last of the parachute payments? If so, we've another 8m to shed in the next 12 months.
aye, it is...

Sponge
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Sponge » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:59 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Looking at it with pure pragmatism, I went for 10 of the 20. I didn't mean to, it's just how it happened.

Of the three goalkeepers, I went for Amos, as having potentially the best future (and, not unconnectedly, resale value). I like Lonners and I've nothing against Boggers but I reckon we're more likely to get a Paddy Kenny type as back-up.

Pratley presumably won't wont the earth, seems to have been well-liked by each of the last three managers (until Freedman saw his arse about that red at Forest) and can play in a couple of different positions. Much of the same goes for Cravies, who will work like a dog for you and hopefully open spaces for the creatives behind him (our best spell was with him up top in a 4-2-3-1).

I'd also keep Luke Woodland, Chris Lester and Georg Iliev around the place for another year, see if they kick on to be good enough for our team or a sell-on clause.

(So farewell, then: Boggers, Lonners, Mills, Eidur & Emile. Unless you want a wage which is less of a golden handshake than a state pension.)

Of the loanees, I'd love to get ALF back (but I doubt it). Barry Bannan's quite likely, considering Palace are consolidating in the top flight. Jordan Lussey's worth a look, and Saidy Janko provides both pace and positional flexibility (currently winger and wing-back, hopefully in future full-back too). Goodbye and good luck to McNaughton, McCarthy, Slavchev, Coke and Rochinha.

(As an aside, it's interesting to see who the popular votes are going for...)

Lennon's already said that he wants Eidur to stay, no?

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:36 pm

I'm stunned that 13 people want to keep Mills. He's frankly awful and not much better than Knight IMO.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:13 pm

Sponge wrote:Lennon's already said that he wants Eidur to stay, no?
He might like marmite or watersports; doesn't mean I have to. It's a poll not a prediction.

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:57 pm

Not hijacking your thread DSB but I've considered together with the info on the contract thread and in the back of my mind had a limited 1st team squad (Mourinho like). As ever its shifting sands - you might want to keep until you get an offer you can't refuse and you might want buy, unless something better appears as an option. Anyway I've chucked in some views. Thing what struck me, is how unbothered I am about a lot of the players. I'm not sure if thats because of the turnover we've been experiencing, so no-one seems integral or whether its they are generally much of a muchness. Anyway vive la revolution

GKs Contract/Loan End
1 Adam Bogdan 2015 Attempt to extend - No 1 if he’ll stay
2 Andy Lonergan 2015 Would he go understudy again &can we afford – doubt it, so leave
3 Ben Amos 2015 Impressed between him/ Boggers if available/cheap
4 Ross Fitzsimmons 2016 No idea – obvious cheap No 2

Defenders
5 Kevin McNaughton 2015 No
6 Paddy McCarthy 2015 No
7 Quade Taylor 2015 No idea
8 Matt Mills 2015 Don’t mind Mills. Problem comes when no-one shows for ball and he lumps it. Keep if poss
9 Alex Baptiste 2016 Not impressed first time around but seems rated at other clubs – big wages.
10 Hayden White 2016 Not seen enough but probably sell if poss
11 David Wheater 2016 Like him, but injury prone. Last year of contract, sell if poss
12 Marc Tierney 2016 Liked him. Will he recover ?
13 Tim Ream 2017 Still not convinced as a defender but NL seems to rate. Keep
14 Dorian Dervite 2017 Keep
15 Dean Moxey 2017 Dreadful start but thought he was ok more recently in combo with Ream. Ambivalent - keep

Midfielders
16 Rochinha 2015 Attempt to buy/extend
17 Saidy Janko 2015 Attempt to buy/extend
18 Barry Bannan 2015 Attempt to buy/ extend
19 Giles Coke 2015 Not seen enough but probably not
20 Jordan Lussey 2015 No idea – but sounds if NL will attempt to buy/extend
21 Simeon Slavchev 2015 No idea / probably not
22 Chris Lester 2015 No idea / probably not
23 Luke Woodland 2015 No idea / probably not
24 Andy Hughes 2015 No idea / probably not
25 Keith Andrews 2015 No
26 Darren Pratley 2015 Average but how can I swim against the tide – keep if poss.
27 Liam Feeney 2016 Know everyone likes that his work rate but little end product – sell if poss
28 Medo Kamara 2016 Sell if possible
29 Neil Danns 2016
30 Rob Hall 2016 Sell if possible
31 Josh Vela 2017
32 Filip Twardzik 2017 New – inauspicious debut but will be retained
33 Jay Spearing 2017 NL doesn’t seem to rate him – sell if possible
34 Liam Trotter 2017 Has the physique to be our Faye type but somehow isn’t. Sell if poss
35 Mark Davies 2017 Injury prone but saleable asset. Probably needs to play to prove his worth. Keep for 1 yr

Forwards
36 Adam Le Fondre 2015 I’m probably the only one irritated by his constant looking for fouls but he can score goals. Attempt to buy/ extend
37 Jermaine Beckford 2015 Another one who suffered from DF, but fans didn’t take to him - No
38 Craig Davies 2015 Injury prone. Not prolific, but good target man. Probably keep
39 Eidur Gudjohnsen 2015 No doubt he still has the touch but he doesn’t have the legs. Attempt to keep
40 Emile Heskey 2015 No – unless v cheap deal
41 Georg Iliev 2015 No idea
42 Tom Eaves 2016 Not seen much but from glimpses /reports sell if poss
43 Sanmi Odelusi 2016 Not seen much but from glimpses /reports sell if poss
44 Max Clayton 2017 Future regular - keep
45 Zach Clough 2017 Future regular - keep
46 Conor Wilkinson 2018 Not seen much but from glimpses /reports sell if poss

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:11 pm

See Amos has returned to O.T. Did well for us the lad. Thanks.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

SmokinFrazier
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by SmokinFrazier » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:46 am

That's a good post, Staffs, and I agree with a lot of what you said. For me, the players I want most in our squad next year are Bogdan or Lonergan, Ream, Mills, Dervite, Baptiste, Vela, Danns, Pratley, Mark Davies, Spearing, Feeney, Bannan, Rochinha, Craig Davies, Eidur, Clough, Le Fondre and Clayton. If we have most of them next season, I'll be happy with the core group of players in our squad.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:03 am

I wouldn't be so quick in binning off England U-16 and U-17 regular Luke Woodland. A lad who was voted MOTM for on loan Oldham a couple of weeks ago in his first ever spell of first-team pro football. He sounds like a keeper to me (even if he is a midfielder!).

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:09 am

SmokinFrazier wrote:That's a good post, Staffs, and I agree with a lot of what you said. For me, the players I want most in our squad next year are Bogdan or Lonergan, Ream, Mills, Dervite, Baptiste, Vela, Danns, Pratley, Mark Davies, Spearing, Feeney, Bannan, Rochinha, Craig Davies, Eidur, Clough, Le Fondre and Clayton. If we have most of them next season, I'll be happy with the core group of players in our squad.
If Danns & Feeney are anywhere near the starting XI next season we will struggle to improve - both dropped for Cardiff and we get a result, enough said.

Mills can also go for me....replace him with Baptiste at Centre Half

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:52 am

Don't mind at all, Staffs, it's a good idea. I'll have a go meself later, perhaps with colour-coding for keeps and chucks.

On the poll results, whodathunk more folk would want Pratley than any other player?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:00 am

Peter Thompson wrote:
SmokinFrazier wrote:That's a good post, Staffs, and I agree with a lot of what you said. For me, the players I want most in our squad next year are Bogdan or Lonergan, Ream, Mills, Dervite, Baptiste, Vela, Danns, Pratley, Mark Davies, Spearing, Feeney, Bannan, Rochinha, Craig Davies, Eidur, Clough, Le Fondre and Clayton. If we have most of them next season, I'll be happy with the core group of players in our squad.
If Danns & Feeney are anywhere near the starting XI next season we will struggle to improve - both dropped for Cardiff and we get a result, enough said.

Mills can also go for me....replace him with Baptiste at Centre Half
Didn't he play in Cardiff, and we got a result? Err, enough said??
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.