If carlsberg did transfer threads.....This would be it!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: If carlsberg did transfer threads.....This would be it!

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:09 am

Hard to call this window decent, or otherwise, because we need to see if we have built a team capable of surviving and more in this division. Early days, Wilson and Prince look really good considering little money spent. The rest it is simply too early to say either way.

In my view the defence is far better balanced. But I feel the weaknesses we had up front and in midfield (not numbers wise, type of player) are not addressed. We lack a really dominant central midfield player and obviously a striker.

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:53 am

Wolves in for Joe Mason for 4 mil.

Rumours of us swapping Conner Wilkinson with Barnsley for Conner Hourihane. Anyone know anything about him?

Barnsley also offering 6 figures for Kellett.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:17 pm

Joe Mason -4M
Afobe - 6M
Jakob Butterfield -5M

Reported fees or offers for three players all roundly deemed not good enough here, either by fans or managers or both.

Essentially that is about £20M of talent we had on loan and sent back as soon as we could. Perhaps an indicator of where we've been going wrong as a club over the years?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:32 pm

Mason was all right but no more, the other two were shite when they were here. Where did we go wrong, signing them in the present?

"Past performance is not an indicator of future returns. The value of your investment can go down as well as up".
Last edited by Prufrock on Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:32 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Joe Mason -4M
Afobe - 6M
Jakob Butterfield -5M

Reported fees or offers for three players all roundly deemed not good enough here, either by fans or managers or both.

Essentially that is about £20M of talent we had on loan and sent back as soon as we could. Perhaps an indicator of where we've been going wrong as a club over the years?
We signed Butterfield when he was about 6 months into a 4-year contract with a Premier League club and was Freedman's first signing. Initially on a one-month loan it was extended to two months.

We signed Afobe three long years ago (August 2012). He started coming to the fore at League 1 MK Dons in 2014 and has continued his hot streak with Wolves in the Championship.

Joe Mason I have no argument for or against. Is he going to Forest? Freedman absolutely loved him.

Maybe we need to drop into League 1 and start winning some matches and breeding some confidence and finding some identity instead of scratching around the bargain bin in an attempt to cling onto Championship status. Looks like it worked for Wolves and Southampton fairly well. And Norwich.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:35 pm

Afobe - 6M
Jakob Butterfield -5M

or... maybe they ARE all overpriced shoite?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:49 pm

Afobe - 6M
Jakob Butterfield -5M

I thought that Joe Mason was effective in a two, but a waste of a shirt in a one (Douglas's fault).
Yeah, Afobe, fair play to him - I thought he stank the place out.
Now, Butterfield. Didn't we have two? One from Norwich who was pretty good whilst one from Southampton was worse that Owen Garvan? Or am I mistaken?
May the bridges I burn light your way

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:59 pm

Dr Hotdog wrote:Maybe we need to drop into League 1 and start winning some matches and breeding some confidence and finding some identity instead of scratching around the bargain bin in an attempt to cling onto Championship status. Looks like it worked for Wolves and Southampton fairly well. And Norwich.
Aye & did a power of good for Sheffield United, Oldham, Bradford, Coventry, Blackpool, Portsmouth, Wimbledon, Luton amongst others.

I shudder at the thought of "let's go down to come back up". Wasn't that some people's theory when St Owen worked his magic on us ?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:59 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Afobe - 6M
Jakob Butterfield -5M

I thought that Joe Mason was effective in a two, but a waste of a shirt in a one (Douglas's fault).
Now, Butterfield. Didn't we have two? One from Norwich who was pretty good whilst one from Southampton was worse that Owen Garvan? Or am I mistaken?
This is the better one from Norwich not the shite one.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

paleka12
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by paleka12 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:00 pm

Dr Hotdog wrote:
Maybe we need to drop into League 1 and start winning some matches and breeding some confidence and finding some identity instead of scratching around the bargain bin in an attempt to cling onto Championship status. Looks like it worked for Wolves and Southampton fairly well. And Norwich.
Or we could continue to be relegation favourites and prove others wrong, it worked well for Burnley ;)

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:06 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Now, Butterfield. Didn't we have two? One from Norwich who was pretty good whilst one from Southampton was worse that Owen Garvan? Or am I mistaken?
Yep ... this one Jacob. We had him for 2 months he did nowt. Plodded around a bit since but seems now to be rated ... over-rated more likely.

... and Danny, The full-back and mate of Freedman, who redefined slow.

Afobi, seems to have come good, but there was fck all sign of that whilst here. Good luck to him.

Mason, as Bruce says, utterly pointless in a one. Did well enough in his second spell alongside Juke ... though his stats were inflated by a hat-trick v Rotherham. But £4m ? Really ?
Last edited by bobo the clown on Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:06 pm

malcd1 wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Afobe - 6M
Jakob Butterfield -5M

This is the better one from Norwich not the shite one.
He was still pretty shite. Decent feet but never did owt.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:07 pm

thebish wrote:
Afobe - 6M
Jakob Butterfield -5M

They may well be. My point is other clubs have managed to get them playing well enough to a point where they can command a huge fee for them. I'd love any of our players to be courted for these kinds of fees, imagine what we could do with the money?

They were generally deemed not good enough here. Possibly it shows we haven't managed to get the best out of what we have.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:10 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:
Afobe - 6M
Jakob Butterfield -5M

They may well be. My point is other clubs have managed to get them playing well enough to a point where they can command a huge fee for them. I'd love any of our players to be courted for these kinds of fees, imagine what we could do with the money?

They were generally deemed not good enough here. Possibly it shows we haven't managed to get the best out of what we have.
I'm going for 'over-rated shite', personally.

I do wonder why you support Bolton. Really I do.

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:22 pm

My prediction for today:

Medo back out to FK Partizan Belgrade
Kermorgant in.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:23 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:
Afobe - 6M
Jakob Butterfield -5M

It doesn't matter. Their value is what a team will pay for them now. Other clubs have maximised their value. Whereas here we couldn't get any of them (bar Mason for a short while) making a significant contribution to the team. It is indicative of a problem here, surely?

As for your second point, I don't get it. We're second bottom in the championship without any money and impending financial doom. I'm hardly suicidal but certainly can see issues both in the past, the here, the now and the future. I still go to the home games week in, week out and still support them. Do I get as much enjoyment out of it as I did? Honestly no. But I'm not sure what I'm supposed to say here? Am I happy with the current situation? Should I lie and pretend it is great?

We still have a decent group of players here. I don't think we've had a top championship side at any point since coming down. We paid ridiculous money for some players and have suffered from it. But we've still got some good players here. The trick is getting the best out of them. Something I think we've failed to do since Allardyce or arguably "that semi final defeat". Ultimately as I've said before, I think we will be ok this season but after that looks precarious to say the least.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:25 pm

HMX wrote:My prediction for today:

Medo back out to FK Partizan Belgrade
Kermorgant in.
Under the circumstances that would be an excellent day. Perhaps even better than excellent.....

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:26 pm

It would. Think I'm just having an early afternoon dream. Kermorgant is linked with plenty of other championship teams. Not sure why we'd be top of the list.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:30 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:
Afobe - 6M
Jakob Butterfield -5M

It doesn't matter. Their value is what a team will pay for them now. Other clubs have maximised their value. Whereas here we couldn't get any of them (bar Mason for a short while) making a significant contribution to the team. It is indicative of a problem here, surely?
You could argue that their parent clubs weren't getting anything out of them either, hence us having them on loan - Which suggests a problem with the player, above us
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:34 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:
Afobe - 6M
Jakob Butterfield -5M

c'mon. Its not like buying a can of beans. Players change. Some players 'fit' at a place, other don't. Paying money doesn't guarantee anything. Out of the 3 you mention, only Butterfield looked like he had a bit of skill about him - but how much ! I know the price is what somebodys willing to pay, but I'd be wincing if it was us.
Don't know anymore about the how much.