Life Is A Bowl Of Cherries

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Life Is A Bowl Of Cherries

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:49 am

Ive not started a match thread in many year, if ever!?

Monday night, on TV, 300 miles away, They're flying, we are shite and ive just bought a ticket! :shock:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Life Is A Bowl Of Cherries

Post by Prufrock » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:01 am

Mad bastard. Pub viewing for me.

Not going to be pretty, this.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:17 am

These fancy match thread titles lead to no good. I warn thee :|

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:40 am

Did I mention that Marc Pugh's Dad and Brother both work at our place? They're incredibly proud of him. He'll score one and set two up. 3-1 to them.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:14 am

If they score first, we could get totally battered, promotion party etc. However, they are nervous. The big prize is so close they can taste it, yet lose, and it will seem a million miles away. They don't want to be making mistakes and that leads to nervy, stiff, desperate football. If they don't win, the door is open for smoggys and/or Watford to walk through it into the prem. It could be a very interesting night. 1-2 to the Wanderers. I would like to see Bournemouth in the prem though, so no great shakes for me if we do lose.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:35 am

I have to say that Bournemouth are by far and away the best side that I've seen us play this season. Fair feck* to 'em. I'd love to see them go up.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:21 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Did I mention that Marc Pugh's Dad and Brother both work at our place? They're incredibly proud of him. He'll score one and set two up. 3-1 to them.
I can't be arsed checking, but is he any relation to Danny Pugh?
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:12 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Did I mention that Marc Pugh's Dad and Brother both work at our place? They're incredibly proud of him. He'll score one and set two up. 3-1 to them.
I can't be arsed checking, but is he any relation to Danny Pugh?
I've just asked. No, none!

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:24 pm

This will be a good indication of exactly how far away we are. We've played everyone else in the top six and very rarely looked completely outclassed. I think we're closer to having a top six side than people think, but I can't see a win here.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:53 pm

truewhite15 wrote:This will be a good indication of exactly how far away we are. We've played everyone else in the top six and very rarely looked completely outclassed. I think we're closer to having a top six side than people think, but I can't see a win here.
An interesting point, that, but on the other hand there can't be many teams Blackpool have done so well against... And I'll be much more convinced when we finally start putting in 90-minute shifts.

Good luck to Bournemouth, hope they go up - good football and Prem newcomers, although it's not quite the fairytale some might have you believe (murky foreign money, etc). Hey ho.

Didn't we win a school-night game at Bournemouth late in the first Rioch season? Phil Brown goal, perhaps?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:23 pm

Just been speaking with young Pugh who reckons that the nerves have set in down at Dean Court, and as we've nowt to play for he can only see a win for us.

Yes, I remember that game, Barnetto. I was driving home from an LFA meeting when the goal was scored. See, I can remember that but I can't tell you what I had for dinner last Thursday. :?

danardif1
Reliable
Reliable

Post by danardif1 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:32 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
truewhite15 wrote:This will be a good indication of exactly how far away we are. We've played everyone else in the top six and very rarely looked completely outclassed. I think we're closer to having a top six side than people think, but I can't see a win here.
An interesting point, that, but on the other hand there can't be many teams Blackpool have done so well against... And I'll be much more convinced when we finally start putting in 90-minute shifts.

Good luck to Bournemouth, hope they go up - good football and Prem newcomers, although it's not quite the fairytale some might have you believe (murky foreign money, etc). Hey ho.

Didn't we win a school-night game at Bournemouth late in the first Rioch season? Phil Brown goal, perhaps?
On the Blackpool point though it could be argued that like most teams in the relegation zone that was one of their last real pushes to keep themselves afloat... like Wigan now getting a few results or Leicester in the Prem... it's just that Blackpool are that bad they couldn't even beat us in 'cup final' mode.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:33 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Yes, I remember that game, Barnetto. I was driving home from an LFA meeting when the goal was scored. See, I can remember that but I can't tell you what I had for dinner last Thursday. :?
Yeah, I can remember listening to the updates on the wireless at the then-girlfriend's. At the time I lived in Hull, which proved handy a week or two later...
danardif1 wrote:On the Blackpool point though it could be argued that like most teams in the relegation zone that was one of their last real pushes to keep themselves afloat... like Wigan now getting a few results or Leicester in the Prem... it's just that Blackpool are that bad they couldn't even beat us in 'cup final' mode.
Indeed, we twice manfully avoided defeat against a team who were all season quite obviously third-tier. But, to refer back to the original point, we have also proven ourselves capable of going toe-to-toe with most, so I have more optimism than pessimism, but I'm not yet inflating the balloons and ordering the cupcakes for the 2016 promotion party.

danardif1
Reliable
Reliable

Post by danardif1 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:05 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Yes, I remember that game, Barnetto. I was driving home from an LFA meeting when the goal was scored. See, I can remember that but I can't tell you what I had for dinner last Thursday. :?
Yeah, I can remember listening to the updates on the wireless at the then-girlfriend's. At the time I lived in Hull, which proved handy a week or two later...
danardif1 wrote:On the Blackpool point though it could be argued that like most teams in the relegation zone that was one of their last real pushes to keep themselves afloat... like Wigan now getting a few results or Leicester in the Prem... it's just that Blackpool are that bad they couldn't even beat us in 'cup final' mode.
Indeed, we twice manfully avoided defeat against a team who were all season quite obviously third-tier. But, to refer back to the original point, we have also proven ourselves capable of going toe-to-toe with most, so I have more optimism than pessimism, but I'm not yet inflating the balloons and ordering the cupcakes for the 2016 promotion party.
Oh I completely agree... just wanted to mention that the Blackpool results weren't necessarily more indicative of anything that the results we've had against the playoff chasing teams.

Devon White
Promising
Promising

Post by Devon White » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:46 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:Ive not started a match thread in many year, if ever!?

Monday night, on TV, 300 miles away, They're flying, we are shite and ive just bought a ticket! :shock:
Less miles for me, using work as an excuse to stay over, only some plonker has booked a training course in Coventry for 09.30 on Tuesday morning and I don't think I have seen us win this season !! Sorry,
Ah well, bowl, cherries etc, anybody fancy a pint before ?

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:41 pm

truewhite15 wrote:This will be a good indication of exactly how far away we are.
Personally I wouldn't think anything we've seen this season will have much bearing on the next. Except maybe that we are finally seeing some acadamy graduates breaking through.

Next season will almost be a clean sheet.

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:20 pm

We are still some way away as far as I can tell.

We might not have been outclassed in terms of performances perhaps, but our record versus the current top six reads as follows:

PL11 W0 D1 L10 - F10 A26

The draw came at home to Ipswich in December.
Last edited by Nicko58 on Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

danardif1
Reliable
Reliable

Post by danardif1 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:22 pm

Enoch wrote:
truewhite15 wrote:This will be a good indication of exactly how far away we are.
Personally I wouldn't think anything we've seen this season will have much bearing on the next. Except maybe that we are finally seeing some acadamy graduates breaking through.

Next season will almost be a clean sheet.
I think that's the main positive I'll take from this season, as well as hiring Lennon which I called for at the time of Freedman's sacking and I still think is quite a coup.

He now has a summer to completely reshape the squad, which without much money may have it's frustrations but ultimately is needed and it will be possible to find good players for low prices or loans/freebies/whatever...

Clough, Vela and now Walker have done great for us and that is the best thing I can say about our season as fans who haven't seen much in the way of local homegrown talent coming through (Kevin Nolan and Nicky Hunt being the last ones really to break through to first team action with us).

Bournemouth are a great example of what you can do with relatively little money, and whilst I obviously want a Bolton win I would like to see Bournemouth get promoted and Eddie Howe get a shot at the Premier League with them before he inevitably gets poached by a bigger team.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:28 pm

We played Bournemouth on the Tuesday and then Hull on the Friday of the same week. Went to both. 8)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:09 pm

The finest night of my Wanderers supporting life. One down, down to ten men, all that hope ripped away from in front of our eyes and an 11th? consecutive season in the bottom two divisions staring us in the face. :pissed: