Season 2015/16 - What does it hold in store?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Season 2015/16 - What does it hold in store?

Post by Enoch » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:00 pm

In the event Eddie finds a buyer with cash to flash then of course all bets are off; should things stay the same however, what are the prospects for season 2015/16?

* Lennon has spoken freely about wanting to bring in players with specific qualities, that's to say better than we have.

* My impression is the wage bill for next term is to be appreciably lower than this.

* Our saleable assets from the playing staff are minimal, so it's unlikely we'll be paying any transfer fees.

* Free agents that are notably better than our current crop are likely to be asking for wages that would challenge our budget.

Do we have enough quality in the academy to underpin our rebirth?

Does the future depend on how good our relations are with Premiership clubs that have surplus quality we can borrow?

Will Lennon still be here come September?

I'm an optimist, I'm confident we'll make a fist of things. I'm not so sure Lennon will have the time, nor the inclination to be our saviour. Whether he has the ability may be moot.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Season 2015/16 - What does it hold in store?

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:32 pm

Same as ever. You just say "Come on you Whites" and hope for the best, Been doing it for a tad more than 65 years now. Hell or high water....and all that. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Gravedigger
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Gravedigger » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:33 pm

Got to be a suck it and see season. Loanees'll be gone, new signings at bargain basement prices perhaps and getting them playing as a team good enough to get promotion. It's a big ask but maybe Lennon can get some decent players on loan initially to give a push from the start. Fingers crossed and appeals to the god of footie I think. 8)
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make up its own mind.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:05 pm

Six pints in O'Neill's at Shepherds Bush? :wink:
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

danardif1
Reliable
Reliable

Post by danardif1 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:33 pm

It'll be another building year I think where a lot of change to the squad has changed things for the better but it hasn't quite gelled yet. Lennon is looking for players with a small budget which always makes things harder but at Celtic he often found undervalued talent and let them prove themselves under him, so I would like to see that. The current squad is a strange one because it seems like for every talent we have there are one or two complete dead weights who undo the bright spark's work. Shift that dead weight and bring in any kind of replacement and that will make such a difference to the side.

I think what is key about what Lennon has done for us this season is that whilst we have continued to be hamstrung by some of the current playing staff, the players Lennon has brought in for the most part have had a positive effect on the team. I don't think anyone can really say anything bad about Emile Heskey, Gudjohnsen has still got one of the best football brains in the game despite his ageing legs, Le Fondre has started to find his shooting boots again and when he has them on is certainly one of the best strikers in the division, Bannan has done well and classed up the midfield in Mavies' absence, and Amos and Janko have both have positive impacts on the team as well. If anything how relatively easy it was for him to bring in positive additions to the team has shown up the shower of shite we already had for what they are.

We'll undoubtedly have to make use of the loan and freebie market again, but with more time behind him to scout and plan for the right acquisitions, I think there's still a lot of quality to be found and I trust in Lennon to find it. Having some time to get our war-wounded back will help as well... can't wait for Clough in particular to be playing again.

It's hard to say where in the table I'd reasonably expect to find us this far ahead, but certainly top half of the table has to be the minimum target.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:51 am

A good manager can get a bunch of average players to do well in this division. If the injuries can be prevented and we supplement the Mavies, Cloughs et al with a someone that can score goals and some full backs then we should do ok. Realistically I think we're building, so promotion is unlikely. If we can get into the top 10 and be thereabouts over the season then that would be progress that can be built on.

Whilst overall the budget will reduce again, hopefully with a few of the more expensive ones out of contract it will mean some wiggle room for ALF or another goalscorer.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:48 am

Would love to sign Alf! Alf,Clough,Clayton (who was really starting to gel) that's a good a forward line as any in this league! plus the added experience of Heskey and Eidur........We'll do alright for goals!

It's the other end that worries me!
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:05 am

Pain. That's what it holds in store. Pain and failure coupled with resentment.

It's the hope that kills you and l, as I have none, I'm sure I'll survive.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:40 am

bobo the clown wrote:Pain. That's what it holds in store. Pain and failure coupled with resentment.

HR talk belongs in the General Banter forum Image

tomshaw1988
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by tomshaw1988 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:14 pm

All depends on whether we can keep our best players fit or not, we have been plagued with bad injuries for years now. We have a star in the making in Zack Clough theirs no doubt in my mind he will get at least double figures next season and if we manage to sign ALF that would be momentous signing but i don't see how were going to finance it if im honest. I would love to see Craig Davies get a new deal i know hes injury prone but i think if we could keep him fit he would make a great partnership with ALF the mans an absolute beast. Our shambolic defense needs an over haul two new full backs especially, Reams not quick enough at full back and Moxey is shite.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:52 am

bobo the clown wrote:Pain. That's what it holds in store. Pain and failure coupled with resentment.

^ is the right answer...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:40 pm

We keep mentioning wage bill - the Dingles (MKii) went up with a wage bill of £15m, give or take, we're currently on £28m, so ahead of Burnley's increased Premiership bill of £23m...

Only so long we can keep saying it's "the" problem...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:15 pm

here's an interesting stat...

(statutory disclaimer: working out these stats in no way implies a desire for any previous manager to return)

in the games BEFORE Lennon's first signing (I am taking that to be Eidur - from memory) here's how he did (entirely and completely with an inherited squad and none of his own player-input):

points-per-game: 2
goals scored per game: 1.75
goals conceded per game: 0.875

in the games AFTER his first signing - with a squad increasingly MORE (but, of course, not totally) of his design and choosing:

points-per-game: 1.15
goals scored per game: 1.18
goals conceded per game: 1.4

of course there is never only one variable, but it is difficult to argue that the situation gets much better when Lennon starts bringing players in... the goals scored decrease alarmingly, the goals conceded increase even more alarmingly and the points per game drop to a much less than promotion-push level...

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:41 pm

thebish wrote:here's an interesting stat...

(statutory disclaimer: working out these stats in no way implies a desire for any previous manager to return)

in the games BEFORE Lennon's first signing (I am taking that to be Eidur - from memory) here's how he did (entirely and completely with an inherited squad and none of his own player-input):

points-per-game: 2
goals scored per game: 1.75
goals conceded per game: 0.875

in the games AFTER his first signing - with a squad increasingly MORE (but, of course, not totally) of his design and choosing:

points-per-game: 1.15
goals scored per game: 1.18
goals conceded per game: 1.4

of course there is never only one variable, but it is difficult to argue that the situation gets much better when Lennon starts bringing players in... the goals scored decrease alarmingly, the goals conceded increase even more alarmingly and the points per game drop to a much less than promotion-push level...
And taking into account injuries, sales, and the fact that from Lennon's first game to Eidur's is only a month and a half, or 8 games?

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:11 pm

Don't feed the troll.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:34 pm

truewhite15 wrote:And taking into account injuries, sales, and the fact that from Lennon's first game to Eidur's is only a month and a half, or 8 games?
I think we sold one player and gave a few away we didn't want. I think we recruited eleven replacements.

Injuries are not a Bolton phenomenon, they happen at all clubs.

That just leaves the other twenty six games then.

I don't see that pointing out our shortcomings is trolling, folk seemed to enjoy the pastime up until last October. It appears to me that in our last seventeen league games, since the beginning of February, we have amassed seventeen points.

Just saying like.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:59 pm

Agreed. As much as I prefer Lennon to freedman and I'm glad we've got him, I'm not yet convinced he's got the right idea for this division. I hope to be convinced next season, but expressing doubts is hardly trolling.
Anyway bring on 5pm Saturday and the end of another sorry season! I'll try to dredge up a but if enthusiasm over the summer.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:10 pm

LeverEnd wrote:Agreed. As much as I prefer Lennon to freedman and I'm glad we've got him, I'm not yet convinced he's got the right idea for this division. I hope to be convinced next season, but expressing doubts is hardly trolling.
Anyway bring on 5pm Saturday and the end of another sorry season! I'll try to dredge up a but if enthusiasm over the summer.
That'll be 2.15pm.

Bruce will tell you.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:47 pm

buy a nutcase (or bring stig back) to guard zachary and the 68 goals he'll get before xmas will coast us to the title.

lennon'll get manager of the month every month except that month where russell slade gets a point at bristol.

jetsetwilly
Reliable
Reliable

Post by jetsetwilly » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:40 am

Relegation battle for me. The news that Heskey has resigned sets the ambition. Bristol City will have backing and I see the league being stronger next year.

If we stay up we have done well with a budget of zero