Season 2015/16 - What does it hold in store?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Season 2015/16 - What does it hold in store?

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:34 am

I recall a time when this idea of squad numbers was first extended to the 2nd division. The legend that is Bruce Rioch came out with something along the lines of "We'll be doing nothing of the sort. When there are 22 players on the pitch nothing looks more ridiculous than number 28 being tackled by number 36".

He is, and always will be, my hero. :)

:pray:
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:31 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:I recall a time when this idea of squad numbers was first extended to the 2nd division. The legend that is Bruce Rioch came out with something along the lines of "We'll be doing nothing of the sort. When there are 22 players on the pitch nothing looks more ridiculous than number 28 being tackled by number 36".

He is, and always will be, my hero. :)

:pray:
What is worse is that there are huge gaps in the list. Presumably because players want to keep their favourite number. Which is bollocks. My favourite number is 136,754,346,774

Put that on the back of a shirt!

Fixed squad numbers are ok, but they should be sequential without gaps. Not this 1-350 across 22 players nonsense.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:44 pm

Never did quite get this personal number thing. If chosen, you played a position,2-11 (goalie didn't need one) right back, left back, centre forward etc,etc. You got the shirt with the relevant number and away you went. Shirts? One size fitted all, even if the really big lads bust the seams and anybody small just wrapped it round and tucked it in a bit more. Number twelve was a Ribble bus to Manchester. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:45 pm

Ranger can feck off the end of Blackpool pier. He's a less talented Ravel Morrison. Pair of c*nts.

Bruno3
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Bruno3 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:04 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Never did quite get this personal number thing. If chosen, you played a position,2-11 (goalie didn't need one) right back, left back, centre forward etc,etc. You got the shirt with the relevant number and away you went. Shirts? One size fitted all, even if the really big lads bust the seams and anybody small just wrapped it round and tucked it in a bit more. Number twelve was a Ribble bus to Manchester. :wink:
Was this in the days when the goalie was the last one to grab a shirt - usually the fat kid with glasses. I've probably offended the PC brigade so I'll rephrase that as the "weight challenged visually impaired young person"

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:09 pm

as one wag has said elsewhere - the gaps are for incomings
2 for pisano, 9 for hooper and 11 for barker
simple innit

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:13 pm

Bruno3 wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Never did quite get this personal number thing. If chosen, you played a position,2-11 (goalie didn't need one) right back, left back, centre forward etc,etc. You got the shirt with the relevant number and away you went. Shirts? One size fitted all, even if the really big lads bust the seams and anybody small just wrapped it round and tucked it in a bit more. Number twelve was a Ribble bus to Manchester. :wink:
Was this in the days when the goalie was the last one to grab a shirt - usually the fat kid with glasses. I've probably offended the PC brigade so I'll rephrase that as the "weight challenged visually impaired young person"
:lol:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:25 am

Just to inspire you up on a friday morning the Guardian has us amongst the relegation contenders

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blo ... on-preview" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

at least zach is one of 3 to watch

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:54 am

Bolton Wanderers also flirted with disaster last season and Dougie Freedman was sacked in October and replaced by Neil Lennon. The former Celtic manager showed his qualities by inspiring a huge rise in form before Christmas, but they won only five league matches in 2015 and Lennon is working on a limited budget.
Businesswoman of the year.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:17 am

Can't argue with that. For the record, the FourFourTwo prediction has Bolton about 19th or 20th.

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:25 am

Noticed in his press conf, NL said he thought there was too much negativity around - wonder if he's been reading this thread

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:26 am

StaffsTrotter wrote:Noticed in his press conf, NL said he thought there was too much negativity around - wonder if he's been reading this thread
he can fix that easily - win the first 3 or 4 games... job done!

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:17 am

Having no idea about betting odds, is it worth 59 quid on us to stay up then??
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:51 am

Bijou Bob wrote:Having no idea about betting odds, is it worth 59 quid on us to stay up then??

I can't see us dropping. Lennon is a good manager IMO and will find a way to win if the going gets tough.

I also think we have a decent spine in the team with Amos.. Derik.. Pratters and Madine. We have the creativity as well from Davies, Clough and Clayton.

I would go with Rotherham.. MK Dons and Bristol City to go.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:00 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:Having no idea about betting odds, is it worth 59 quid on us to stay up then??
Go to the bookies and put your money on Pellegrini having this morning signed a contract extension with City, before the press get hold of it. ITFK 8)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:01 pm

Bristol City will be comfortable IMO.

Rotherham, MK Dons, Preston and maybe Blackburn if Rhodes goes. Cairney, King and Gestede already gone. Rumours Hanley could go too. That would be funny.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:04 pm

ChrisC wrote:

I can't see us dropping. Lennon is a good manager IMO and will find a way to win if the going gets tough.

I also think we have a decent spine in the team with Amos.. Derik.. Pratters and Madine. We have the creativity as well from Davies, Clough and Clayton.

I'm picturing Bristol City being closer to promotion than relegation to be honest, but then I know absolutely fvck all about teams nowadays
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:10 pm

boltonboris wrote:
ChrisC wrote:

I'm picturing Bristol City being closer to promotion than relegation to be honest, but then I know absolutely fvck all about teams nowadays
They don't seem to have added much this summer. The Championship is a big step up from League one IMO.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:16 pm

Step from L1 to Champo is much bigger than that from L2 to L1. But Brizzle City are a decent-sized club and as usual with promoted teams, if they keep the momentum and get on an early-season roll they might do well.

And as ever in this brilliantly unpredictable division: pretty much anyone can go down and anyone can go up. Many this time last year tipped Wigan for glory and Brentford for relegation.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:35 pm

That would make more sense if you hadn't tipped Preston to stay up?!

And Norwich and Southampton disagree with you. And Brentford aren't happy. Nor Wolves. Etc...
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.