2015/16 pre-season

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: 2015/16 pre-season

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:49 pm

Still don't understand what we signed that Twardzik for. Meant to be a creative type. And he is being played at full back. Wherever he should play he still looks absolute rubbish.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:51 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote: Pratley a good example of how a player can be brought back to form and how good that can be.
I'm waiting to see if he keeps it up and hoping it wasn't a one off short spell. I have hope he does, Trotter I have no hope for.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:17 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote: Pratley a good example of how a player can be brought back to form and how good that can be.
I'm waiting to see if he keeps it up and hoping it wasn't a one off short spell. I have hope he does, Trotter I have no hope for.
But Trotter has shown he can perform well in this division, we aren't in a position to write that off. We need to find a way because he's not likely going anywhere. Has to be a way of getting best out of him, Spearing and Medo.

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:30 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
But Trotter has shown he can perform well in this division, we aren't in a position to write that off. We need to find a way because he's not likely going anywhere. Has to be a way of getting best out of him, Spearing and Medo.
you are right, but still dont see how all can be accomodated and I expect departures. What would be ideal would be to get our backroom boys to create a new hybrid player using Trotters physique with Spearings energy and attitude

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:42 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
How much game time can we afford to give him if he continues his 'form'?
liability
noun
the state of being legally responsible for something.
"once you contact the card protection scheme your liability for any loss ends"
synonyms: accountability, responsibility, legal responsibility, answerability; More
antonyms: immunity
a thing for which someone is responsible, especially an amount of money owed.
plural noun: liabilities
"valuing the company's liabilities and assets"
synonyms: financial obligation, debt, indebtedness, debit; More
a person or thing whose presence or behaviour is likely to put one at a disadvantage.
"she said the party had become a liability to green politics"
synonyms: hindrance, encumbrance, burden, handicap, nuisance, inconvenience;

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:44 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Has to be a way of getting best out of him, Spearing and Medo.
Surely not all three at once. Two defensive midfielders and a wardrobe.

One way to pick a team is to find your best players and pick a formation that fits as many as possible. This theory has its pros and cons but it seems to be what Lennon did from January. (It's also what Freedman did in one of his less useless spells, using what ISTR Pru termed a "lop-sided rhombus" in midfield.) Now, I'd say our best players at the moment are Clough, Clayton, Davies, Pratley and Vela, with Madine hitting promising notes up top. They almost (but not quite) make up the fun end of a perfect 4-2-3-1: Pratley and Vela holding, Clayton/Mavies/Clough behind Madine. It lacks some width but Clayton can come off either flank so he could rotate, with the full-backs (whoe'er they may be) taking it in turns to support.

I mention that here because there's no Spearing, Medo or Trotter in that team. I still think Spearing could do a (limited) job, but we'd have to drop a better player. To get Medo in as well, we'd have to drop two better players. To get Trotter in, well, we'd better have a bloody good reason.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:50 pm

Wonky diamond, man!

:D

Could work with those same personnel^. Vela (for Spearing) deep and central, Pratz (for Medo) deep-ish and right, Clough (for Lee) forward-ish and left, Mavies front and central (could swap Mavies and Clough). Madine and Clayton (for Juke and Mason) up top. Bring back the Freedman glory days!
Last edited by Prufrock on Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:52 pm

Not all at once, just as part of the squad. I'd like to see Spearing tried at full back for example if we don't have proper options there. If Pratley isn't fit, Trotter is the only physical presence in the squad. I don't mean they are our ideal first choices, just we need to utilise them whilst here.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:04 pm

Trouble with the wonky diamond - or the lop-sided rhombus, which is a MUCH better name :D - is a lack of midfield width. Which is a problem considering we've knack-all full-backage.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:18 pm

I only started calling it that because I was sick of googling how to spell "parallelogram".

'Tis a good point, but nice to know we can shift to a 4-2-3-1 without needing to change the personnel.

#versatility
Last edited by Prufrock on Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:43 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Trouble with the wonky diamond - or the lop-sided rhombus, which is a MUCH better name :D - is a lack of midfield width. Which is a problem considering we've knack-all full-backage.
For this reason, I'm very surprised we've not seen Kellett play for the 1st's over here yet
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:59 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Trouble with the wonky diamond - or the lop-sided rhombus, which is a MUCH better name :D - is a lack of midfield width. Which is a problem considering we've knack-all full-backage.
For this reason, I'm very surprised we've not seen Kellett play for the 1st's over here yet
Well, quite. He's played (a lot) for the shadow XI - maybe there's a fitness thing - but with Ream just about landing at Ringway you feel the chances might be about to get worse.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:05 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Lennon doesn't seem to fancy Kellett, but I'd have thought he'd make an ideal wing back.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:58 pm

Watching the development squad at FC Fylde tonight. A stand out performance in the first half from Medo. Stand out as in utter, utter garbage. Playing against a local semi pro team and he still can't find a team mate with a pass.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:18 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:Watching the development squad at FC Fylde tonight. A stand out performance in the first half from Medo. Stand out as in utter, utter garbage. Playing against a local semi pro team and he still can't find a team mate with a pass.
I would imagine Mohamed was overjoyed with his selection.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:22 pm

It looks like he knows he's not wanted. They bloke is just going through the motions.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:31 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:It looks like he knows he's not wanted. The bloke is just going through the motions.
Oh yuck. :shock:

Is he not well ?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:33 pm

That's what I mean, we can't afford to just have these players cast aside in the reserves, get the best out of them instead and have them keen and involved and motivated.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:36 pm

Its Spearing or Medo, they cannot both play in the same team, they are too alike, don't you remember?

We are trying to get rid of Medo.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:06 pm

Meanwhile, the 27-year-old midfielder completed 90 minutes of action as he partnered in midfield with Filip Twardzik and Ross Fitzsimons in Bolton's 2-2 draw with Stockport County
We're playing keepers in midfield now?