Stadium names

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

DrDom
Hopeful
Hopeful
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:24 pm

Re: Stadium names

Post by DrDom » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:10 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
DrDom wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:I still called our place 'The Reebok' or 'The Bok' and will probably continue so to do.
Enjoying hearing your name suggestions - thanks!

Anyone else call it The Bok? How did this name come about?

What do you think about when you hear it called "The Bok"? The stadium? Reebok the company?
You know, & I've not studied this much, but I suspect "the 'Bok" comes from a foreshortening of the word "Reebok". Now I could be wrong and I'm not a sophisticated academic, but I just feel that's the case.

&, you know, I've only just clicked that there was a Company called 'Reebok' as well as that being the stadium's (previous/original) name. Wow. Coincidence or what !?!?!?

How do I feel when I here that ? Personally all warm and cuddly but tinged with a slight sense of psychotic paranoia. Though, to be fair, I do about most things. It also makes me feel unreasonably pessimistic .... but ditto, and a little nostalgic too. Plus orange. I do feel rather orange when I hear it called that.
Hands up, my bad! Figured it was probably a shortened for of The Reebok. Was wondering if it is a fairly general thing among wanderers fans to call it The Bok? Did you call it that from the start?

norm the jedi
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1058
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:11 pm
Location: Near a Shandy
Contact:

Re: Stadium names

Post by norm the jedi » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:34 am

Personally my opinion about the naming of the stadium is largely tied to the performance of the team..
When we moved there it was all optimism and new chapters. Reebok was a massive brand and there was some pride in the association. So whilst not Burnden it was a pretty impressive 'state of the art' stadium.. I grew to quite like it..
Then it started to go to ratshit but I was happy enough, assuming because I know nowt, that once named the stadium would 'The Reebok' in perpetuity..
Then it properly fell apart on the pitch and Macron who I'd never heard of rocked up and seemingly bought the rights for a song which just seemed symptomatic of the general malais..
Just a bit shit but probably to be expected, another low light on the road back to northern obscurity and Walsall away.
I suppose we can look forward to the 'Aldi' stadium or Costcutter Arena when the next renewal is due...

That said - nothing to the horrendous whoring of shirt sponsorship to bookmakers and shylocks and anyone just above ISIS, Drug Barons and Imperial Tobacco on the morally questionable index.
Are we in League 2 yet - Three seasons and we'll be away to Chesham

User avatar
Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8591
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:27 pm
Location: Skye high

Re: Stadium names

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:39 am

Should rename it as the Normid Superdome next time. At least it has some history ;)

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38676
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Stadium names

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:37 am

Couldn't possibly be, but The Town Hall Steps Stadium, might work. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19597
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:49 am
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England
Contact:

Re: Stadium names

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:44 am

Yes. But how did that make you FEEL ???
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38676
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Stadium names

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:51 am

bobo the clown wrote:Yes. But how did that make you FEEL ???
I had to realise I may get arrested if I gave in to feelings.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8272
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Enfield

Re: Stadium names

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:38 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:Yes. But how did that make you FEEL ???
I had to realise I may get arrested if I gave in to feelings.

Go on Tango, give in to your feelings. You could then profess freely your love for 'The Bok' in a similar way that this woman has for the Golden Gate Bridge.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=wom ... 7069144077" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38676
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Stadium names

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:48 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:Yes. But how did that make you FEEL ???
I had to realise I may get arrested if I gave in to feelings.

Go on Tango, give in to your feelings. You could then profess freely your love for 'The Bok' in a similar way that this woman has for the Golden Gate Bridge.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=wom ... 7069144077" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oh dear, I really must stop putting flowers outside Burnden Asda.... :oops:

:lol:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

DrDom
Hopeful
Hopeful
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:24 pm

Re: Stadium names

Post by DrDom » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:30 am

Fair point about the obviousness of names and where they come from, but I guess the real question is: If a stadium is a called the Reebok, the Macron, the Pirelli, The Etihad etc., does it really register with fans? Do they actually give a monkeys? More to the point, is it more likely to make them go an buy any of those brands (assuming they want new running shoes, sports kit, tyres, flights to Abu Dhabi etc.)? If not, then it can only be a corporate reputation raising exercise, but if nobody cares or takes any notice, then even that's not working.

Just to put another take on it, the now so called Manchester Arena has been called a number of other other things through sponsorship deals: Nynex Arena, Phones 4 U Arena, MEN Arena - but the only one that really stuck seemed to be the MEN - and that deal clearly didn't do Phones 4 U much good!

Another thought is it's only the away fans who notice and really register these names when they visit a stadium. Perhaps it washes over home fans as an everyday irrelevance.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 24480
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Stadium names

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:35 am

Everyday irrelevance.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38676
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Stadium names

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:05 am

Worthy4England wrote:Everyday irrelevance.
I think that the everyday irrelevance goes along with the unpredictable impermenance of never knowing if your team's shirts are going to be advertising a loan shark, betting shop or Uncle Joe's Mint Balls. Our local bread manfacturers pay Silvester Stallone to advertise them. It's deeply wounding to our sensitive souls.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19597
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:49 am
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England
Contact:

Re: Stadium names

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:18 am

DrDom wrote:Fair point about the obviousness of names and where they come from, but I guess the real question is: If a stadium is a called the Reebok, the Macron, the Pirelli, The Etihad etc., does it really register with fans? Do they actually give a monkeys? More to the point, is it more likely to make them go an buy any of those brands (assuming they want new running shoes, sports kit, tyres, flights to Abu Dhabi etc.)? If not, then it can only be a corporate reputation raising exercise, but if nobody cares or takes any notice, then even that's not working.

Just to put another take on it, the now so called Manchester Arena has been called a number of other other things through sponsorship deals: Nynex Arena, Phones 4 U Arena, MEN Arena - but the only one that really stuck seemed to be the MEN - and that deal clearly didn't do Phones 4 U much good!

Another thought is it's only the away fans who notice and really register these names when they visit a stadium. Perhaps it washes over home fans as an everyday irrelevance.
... & there you go, answering your own question. You knew the answer all along you little scamp.

I would now want to know how that makes you feel.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 20642
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: Stadium names

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:16 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:Everyday irrelevance.
I think that the everyday irrelevance goes along with the unpredictable impermenance of never knowing if your team's shirts are going to be advertising a loan shark, betting shop or Uncle Joe's Mint Balls. Our local bread manfacturers pay Silvester Stallone to advertise them. It's deeply wounding to our sensitive souls.
That bread advert was mint!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8272
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Enfield

Re: Stadium names

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:45 pm

Prufrock wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:Everyday irrelevance.
I think that the everyday irrelevance goes along with the unpredictable impermenance of never knowing if your team's shirts are going to be advertising a loan shark, betting shop or Uncle Joe's Mint Balls. Our local bread manfacturers pay Silvester Stallone to advertise them. It's deeply wounding to our sensitive souls.
That bread advert was mint!

Nope. definitely bread.

a1
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 3427
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:11 pm

Re: Stadium names

Post by a1 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:14 pm

i call it the 'QuickQuid Stadium' for the lolz

DrDom
Hopeful
Hopeful
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:24 pm

Re: Stadium names

Post by DrDom » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:23 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
DrDom wrote:Fair point about the obviousness of names and where they come from, but I guess the real question is: If a stadium is a called the Reebok, the Macron, the Pirelli, The Etihad etc., does it really register with fans? Do they actually give a monkeys? More to the point, is it more likely to make them go an buy any of those brands (assuming they want new running shoes, sports kit, tyres, flights to Abu Dhabi etc.)? If not, then it can only be a corporate reputation raising exercise, but if nobody cares or takes any notice, then even that's not working.

Just to put another take on it, the now so called Manchester Arena has been called a number of other other things through sponsorship deals: Nynex Arena, Phones 4 U Arena, MEN Arena - but the only one that really stuck seemed to be the MEN - and that deal clearly didn't do Phones 4 U much good!

Another thought is it's only the away fans who notice and really register these names when they visit a stadium. Perhaps it washes over home fans as an everyday irrelevance.
... & there you go, answering your own question. You knew the answer all along you little scamp.

I would now want to know how that makes you feel.

Ha - rumbled :wink: Actually, it makes me feel not surprised that people think the name is irrelevant, because that was a hunch, but maybe that's only when it's corporate name. I mean they tried to change the name of St James' Park to the Sports Direct Arena and the fans lost it a bit! Perhaps you can only get away with a name change when it's just from one corporate to another, where nobody really cares anymore (Bolton? Leicester?), or when you move to a new Stadium and therefore have a licence to bin the nostalgic/historic name and replace it with something else (Derby, Man City).

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 24480
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Stadium names

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:01 pm

DrDom wrote:I mean they tried to change the name of St James' Park to the Sports Direct Arena and the fans lost it a bit!
That bit there. You're talking about an entire Geordie nation of deluded feck*. They never had "it" to lose.

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon
Posts: 5043
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:58 am
Location: 200 miles darn sarf

Re: Stadium names

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:47 am

DrDom wrote:
Ha - rumbled :wink: Actually, it makes me feel not surprised that people think the name is irrelevant, because that was a hunch, but maybe that's only when it's corporate name. I mean they tried to change the name of St James' Park to the Sports Direct Arena and the fans lost it a bit! Perhaps you can only get away with a name change when it's just from one corporate to another, where nobody really cares anymore (Bolton? Leicester?), or when you move to a new Stadium and therefore have a licence to bin the nostalgic/historic name and replace it with something else (Derby, Man City).
I think Bolton Wanderers tick all the boxes in both scenarios. Burnden Park to The Reebok was the important change as far as most Bolton supporters are concerned, I suspect. Subsequent name changes will probably have little impact - unless we call it the Kit Kat Stadium or The Durex Bowl, for example.

I still find myself inadvertently referring to the ground as 'The Reebok' or 'The Bok'. Mind you, I'm an old fart who doesn't handle change well. :D
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8272
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Enfield

Re: Stadium names

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:58 am

Zulus Thousand of em wrote:
DrDom wrote:
Ha - rumbled :wink: Actually, it makes me feel not surprised that people think the name is irrelevant, because that was a hunch, but maybe that's only when it's corporate name. I mean they tried to change the name of St James' Park to the Sports Direct Arena and the fans lost it a bit! Perhaps you can only get away with a name change when it's just from one corporate to another, where nobody really cares anymore (Bolton? Leicester?), or when you move to a new Stadium and therefore have a licence to bin the nostalgic/historic name and replace it with something else (Derby, Man City).
I think Bolton Wanderers tick all the boxes in both scenarios. Burnden Park to The Reebok was the important change as far as most Bolton supporters are concerned, I suspect. Subsequent name changes will probably have little impact - unless we call it the Kit Kat Stadium or The Durex Bowl, for example.

I still find myself inadvertently referring to the ground as 'The Reebok' or 'The Bok'. Mind you, I'm an old fart who doesn't handle change well. :D

Take your hand out of your pocket you dirty boy!

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19203
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Stadium names

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:50 am

DrDom wrote:St James' Park
Excellent apostrophisation, doc. Full marks if you can do the one in Exeter and the one in central London (without checking).

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Prufrock and 42 guests