Stadium names

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

DrDom
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: Stadium names

Post by DrDom » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:05 pm

Hi Everyone.

Us again. Hope you don't mind us asking a couple more questions.

We're interested in the "echoes" of Burnden Park that are around the Macron:

1. Does anyone know who's decision it was to name the road in front of the stadium "Burnden Way"? Was it the club, the council, fan community, others?
2. Does anyone know when they started playing the "Burnden Aces" song over the PA system just before a match? It sounds like an official recording - is it a recorded version of the song? Who by? Does anyone know why the club decided to start playing this?

Thanks.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:23 pm

The song is by a local 'indie' band called The Jade Assembly

The club named the street, which is also known as De Havilland Way, by the council (I think)
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:35 pm

1) Ultimately Council are responsible for Road naming, but request input from the site Developers and interested parties for proposed names - I guess as long as they're not too outlandish, they'll say yes. Not sure who specifically suggested it - the development was a "three-way partnership" between Orbit Developments, Bolton Council and BWFC.

2) Burnden Aces song...think fairly recently (last season/2015)

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/137 ... g_out_now/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not a clue who or why Club started playing it.

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:47 pm

Worthy4England wrote:1) Ultimately Council are responsible for Road naming, but request input from the site Developers and interested parties for proposed names - I guess as long as they're not too outlandish, they'll say yes. Not sure who specifically suggested it - the development was a "three-way partnership" between Orbit Developments, Bolton Council and BWFC.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/137 ... g_out_now/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Me neither. I find it to be a bit embarrassing that we play a recording of another team's chant before the start of every game to be honest.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:10 pm

Nicko58 wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:1) Ultimately Council are responsible for Road naming, but request input from the site Developers and interested parties for proposed names - I guess as long as they're not too outlandish, they'll say yes. Not sure who specifically suggested it - the development was a "three-way partnership" between Orbit Developments, Bolton Council and BWFC.

Me neither. I find it to be a bit embarrassing that we play a recording of another team's chant before the start of every game to be honest.
That part doesn't worry me much (over and above it being "a bit shit"). It's in fairly common use across a number of Clubs...

Allegedly Redshite were singing You'll Never Walk Alone before Liverpool - well they would say that, wouldn't they...

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:35 pm

Worthy4England wrote:That part doesn't worry me much (over and above it being "a bit shit"). It's in fairly common use across a number of Clubs...
I know it's common to hear it at other grounds, but it makes me cringe that we've actually gone to the trouble of recording it and playing over the PA system at the start of each home game. It seems as though someone at the club has heard the chant without understanding it's origin and decided to record it to try and improve the atmosphere. If it was a generic chant or one that was specific to us then I wouldn't have a problem with it, but we've adopted a rip-off version of Blaydon Races and it just makes us appear a bit small time to me.
Worthy4England wrote:Allegedly Redshite were singing You'll Never Walk Alone before Liverpool - well they would say that, wouldn't they...
:lol:

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:36 pm

I should add after ranting that it's not a major problem, it's just something that irritates me and I've been waiting to get it off my chest for a while. :D

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:01 pm

Nicko58 wrote:I should add after ranting that it's not a major problem, it's just something that irritates me and I've been waiting to get it off my chest for a while. :D

We shouldn't fear history.

Bolton Wanderers - formed 1874
Newcastle United - formed 1892

Whippersnappers - with only half a history. ;-)

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:23 pm

I Like it
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:09 pm

Nicko58 wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:That part doesn't worry me much (over and above it being "a bit shit"). It's in fairly common use across a number of Clubs...
I know it's common to hear it at other grounds, but it makes me cringe that we've actually gone to the trouble of recording it and playing over the PA system at the start of each home game. It seems as though someone at the club has heard the chant without understanding it's origin and decided to record it to try and improve the atmosphere. If it was a generic chant or one that was specific to us then I wouldn't have a problem with it, but we've adopted a rip-off version of Blaydon Races and it just makes us appear a bit small time to me.
Worthy4England wrote:Allegedly Redshite were singing You'll Never Walk Alone before Liverpool - well they would say that, wouldn't they...

And it's by some awful Oasis wannabes that nobody's heard of.

Bring back 633 Squadron.
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...