Lennon is just what Bolton needed

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Alan Gowling
Hopeful
Hopeful

Lennon is just what Bolton needed

Post by Alan Gowling » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:24 am

danardif1
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Lennon is just what Bolton needed

Post by danardif1 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:53 am

'England star' Gavin McCann... one cap, in a friendly.

Good to see him working at the club though, wasn't that bad a player and was a shame to see injury cut his career short.

Whookam
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Whookam » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:03 pm

And we post an article from 2013 because....?

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:07 pm

I assume the date thingy is just wrong, otherwise it would be quite foretelling.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Whookam
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Whookam » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:11 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:I assume the date thingy is just wrong, otherwise it would be quite foretelling.
Most likely. It's hot and dates are no-ones strong point when it's hot.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:37 pm

Whookam wrote:
KeyserSoze wrote:I assume the date thingy is just wrong, otherwise it would be quite foretelling.

Really? I thought they came from North Africa and the Middle East?

freeindeed
Promising
Promising

Post by freeindeed » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:32 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Whookam wrote:

Think you'll find they are from the Mayans then the Romans

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:23 pm

freeindeed wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Whookam wrote:

Think you'll find they are from the Mayans then the Romans

How did the Mayans get them to the Romans? :conf:

Phoenix dactylifera (date[2] or date palm[2]) is a flowering plant species in the palm family Arecaceae, cultivated for its edible sweet fruit. Although its place of origin is unknown because of long cultivation, it probably originated from lands around Iraq.[3] The species is widely cultivated and is reportedly naturalized in Australia, Spain, Italy, North Africa, the Canary Islands, Madeira, Cape Verde, the Sahel region of Africa, Mauritius, Réunion, Afghanistan, Pakistan (Khairpur), Bangladesh, India, Israel, Iran, China, (Fujian, Guangdong, Guangxi, Yunnan), Fiji, New Caledonia, the United States (California, Nevada, Arizona, Florida, Puerto Rico), northern Mexico, El Salvador, the Leeward Islands, the Cayman Islands, Haiti, the UAE, Saudi Arabia and the Dominican Republic.[4][5][6]

So Middle East and out from there it seems. Although this is Wikipedia so they could have originated on the Moon.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:05 pm

I don't think either of us could make this less funny so I'll stop now.

freeindeed
Promising
Promising

Post by freeindeed » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:06 pm

You started it :spank:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:12 pm

Lennon might be just what Leicester need. "Front runner" now, apparently. Thanks Sam.
http://ind.pn/1LVADWD" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:46 pm

Assuming the rumours are true, all this seems surreal. The man is hired, comes here to do a job which he hasn't even started yet and now he's interested in another (and more lucrative, no doubt) job already. If he doesn't get the Leicester job but tries for it, that surely won't make him Mr Popular with the Whites fans. Not very confidence inspiring.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

danardif1
Reliable
Reliable

Post by danardif1 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:13 am

There doesn't seem anything concrete to it, just the papers making fairly obvious guesses (ex-player turned manager may be interested in managing old club)...

As far as we've heard from Lennon in his time here, he's very grateful to Bolton for being the one to give him a chance in England, and he wanted to prove himself in this country by then reviving the club's fortunes on a budget. Achieving that would enhance his reputation no end, and I don't see how jumping ship to a club that whilst it has secured another season in the Premier League is hardly established and may only offer short-term prospects anyway (given the nature of the Premier League) would offer anything truly better.

I do hope that Neil can see just how the club and the fans have taken him in to be one of their own and that he feels he needs to finish what he's just starting with us. I made the shout that we should hire him back when we fired Freedman and I'm glad we did... he kept us up but not only that he seems to have his head screwed on and understands the situation and seems to have a plan for it. It might take a bit longer to get to the top division but it might ultimately show the rest of the football world what he can do. Moving to Leicester and more than likely ending up sacked after 18 months before then having to move down to the Championship again for another job isn't going to help him in the short or long term...

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:53 am

As I've said elsewhere I think he'll go. Bigger fanbase, better league, bigger transfer budget, he has ties to the club. He wont stay here for the 'project' with all that on offer. Cant say I would blame him. Main thing is do Leicesters mad owners want him?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:07 am

officer_dibble wrote:As I've said elsewhere I think he'll go. Bigger fanbase, better league, bigger transfer budget, he has ties to the club. He wont stay here for the 'project' with all that on offer. Cant say I would blame him. Main thing is do Leicesters mad owners want him?
All of this.

I can't believe they waited till now to sack that mad tw@t without already having a replacement planned. ... & though Lenin has links with the club he has no links to the Thai's there.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:08 am

Depends whether he's been told porkies about resources for his rebuilding job. If so then he's every right to walk. If he just goes anyway I'd be disappointed but would understand it. It's hardly doing a Steve Bruce. Sadly they have a lot more to offer than us.
Also I wouldn't be that gutted. I like him and would prefer to keep him but don't think he's the saviour he's made out to be.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:34 am

I'm with LE on this. I like the fella, he's done alright so far and with him on board I think the future is a lot brighter than it has been for years. But, he has a lot to prove. If he goes I'd love Sam back, but his strategy rests on minimising errors and how the feckity feck he can do that with our squad isn't known even to rocket scientists.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:50 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:I'm with LE on this. I like the fella, he's done alright so far and with him on board I think the future is a lot brighter than it has been for years. But, he has a lot to prove. If he goes I'd love Sam back, but his strategy rests on minimising errors and how the feckity feck he can do that with our squad isn't known even to rocket scientists.
.... & Sam has got very used to spending big. On wages &/or fees. We'd be nowhere near his cuppa now.

Unless he headed some consortium looking to buy in ... especially as he & PG have clearly not kissed & made up.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:12 am

I wouldn't blame him for going back to a club he holds very dear, especially as the future hardly looks rosy for us. If he's got any ambition he wouldn't be thinking "Leicester might go down", he'd be looking to build. As for still having a project here: he kept us up, cleared the decks and brought in a new mentality; it's not finished but football projects rarely are.

I'm somewhat ambivalent about Lennon - some of our displays in that three-month period we played 4-2-3-1 were among the most promising we've seen in years, but the last four months were a bucket of jizz. If he stays I'll give him time and the benefit of the doubt, but if he goes it won't necessarily feel like we've lost a guaranteed genius. In some ways he's just as stubborn as his three predecessors.

That said, when the news broke I felt a certain lurch in my stomach, which tells me I don't want him to go. Perhaps that's fear of the future.

In some ways, it might be better for him to go now – with squad pruned and money saved – than for him to spend what little we have then go in a month, leaving someone else working with his players and an empty wallet.