Lennon is just what Bolton needed

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Re: Lennon is just what Bolton needed

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:16 am

My biggest worry is that any compo received for Lennon will be spent on extending the contracts of Trotter and Moxey :shock:

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:22 am

my feelings are summed up by DSB. the worst part would be when he comes back to raid us of our promising youngsters with hideous bids he knows we cant afford to turn down!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:05 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I wouldn't blame him for going back to a club he holds very dear, especially as the future hardly looks rosy for us. If he's got any ambition he wouldn't be thinking "Leicester might go down", he'd be looking to build. As for still having a project here: he kept us up, cleared the decks and brought in a new mentality; it's not finished but football projects rarely are.

I'm somewhat ambivalent about Lennon - some of our displays in that three-month period we played 4-2-3-1 were among the most promising we've seen in years, but the last four months were a bucket of jizz. If he stays I'll give him time and the benefit of the doubt, but if he goes it won't necessarily feel like we've lost a guaranteed genius. In some ways he's just as stubborn as his three predecessors.

That said, when the news broke I felt a certain lurch in my stomach, which tells me I don't want him to go. Perhaps that's fear of the future.

In some ways, it might be better for him to go now – with squad pruned and money saved – than for him to spend what little we have then go in a month, leaving someone else working with his players and an empty wallet.

I think your "lurch" might be stronger because of the timing. Had it been back at the end of May your lurch might have been softened by the idea that anyone new coming in would have time to assess the situation and the squad and search for players... If Lenny goes in 2 weeks time - add on the time it will take to read the applications of all Worthy's usual suspects - and the season will already be underway before we have a manager...

the last few months of the season were - indeed - a bucket of the aforementioned. I don't think it's news for me to say I don't think Lenny has proved he's our saviour - BUT - I did (and still do) think he was probably as good as we could have hoped for at the time we took him on... he's not a total disaster (yet) - and so the idea of losing him would worry me for 3 reasons:

1. it would totally feck up our pre-season planning and signing targets which is tough enough already.
2. there are a lot shoiter options out there than Lenny.
3. it would piss me off that he didn't have the balls or self confidence to back himself to do summat great at Bolton and properly prove himself.

however - BigSam is in the wind! and he can get the old crewe back together - just like that start of one of those old films where a crack team is brought out of retirement to pull off an unlikely and heroic mission... Nolly, Supakev, errrr..... :wink:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:18 pm

Almost everything about N.L, his own song, has been based around him building his own team. I doubt I'm the only one thinking that that hinged around a clear out and a new-ish team for the coming season. The future (starting this season) was the reveille, the rallying cry. If he were to go now,( and I'm not saying he will, but it's disturbing if he's even thinking about it) how much pxss and wind has all that been, and where does it leave us?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:27 pm

Managers leave. Allardyce did, saying he wanted to spend time with his family, but he must have had a hectic fortnight with them before pitching up at a bigger club. Rioch did, and one of the reasons he gave was that his son was out of contract, although I'm not sure how many lifts he could give Gregor to the JobClub considering he immediately took over at a bigger club.

And Leicester are a bigger club than us, with enormous financial backing and, let us not forget, a Premier League badge on the bicep. I'd be surprised if Lennon weren't interested even if he hadn't spent the prime of his career there, helping lead them to their greatest successes. He's plainly not going to walk into a top-eight club; Leicester would seem an ideal next step, the previous ties merely an emotional boon (not least in fan PR: look at how much we welcomed Coyle, whose playing career here was more of a happy bit-parter than an iconic legend).

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:34 pm

oh aye - I know why Lennon would be tempted - who wouldn't? It wouldn't stop me being a bit pissed off about it, though! :D

plus - his family might be at risk! who knows? 8)

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:18 pm

I'd be really disappointed to see him go. He's a good manager imo but with our basket case of a club I don't think he'll ever be able to properly prove it. Just so long as we don't replace him with another Arrigo Sacchi wannabee
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:45 pm

Whatever Freedman might have been (or said) his sides didn't play like Sacchi's, who were all about a shallow, narrow formation (what was it, 40 yards maximum between defence and attack?) and constant pressure on the ball - not massively dissimilar to Simeone's Atletico. Under Freedman you could often stage a parade through our lines and the oppo ran about willy-nilly.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:58 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:I'd be really disappointed to see him go. He's a good manager imo but with our basket case of a club I don't think he'll ever be able to properly prove it. Just so long as we don't replace him with another Arrigo Sacchi wannabee
That furniture store in Macclesfield? :?
May the bridges I burn light your way

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:48 pm

Without their Thai financial backing,I wouldn't rate Leicester a bigger club than us!! Roundabout the same as us I would have thought...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:55 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:I'd be really disappointed to see him go. He's a good manager imo but with our basket case of a club I don't think he'll ever be able to properly prove it. Just so long as we don't replace him with another Arrigo Sacchi wannabee
THAT'S where he got Trotter from...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:01 pm

jonnycooper wrote:Without their Thai financial backing,I wouldn't rate Leicester a bigger club than us!! Roundabout the same as us I would have thought...
Unfortunately financial backing is the criteria for being a "big" club now, J.C. Main difference is having something to spend against the bring and buy sale swap-shop outfit we've become
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:28 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
THAT'S where he got Trotter from...
The Human Wardrobe is explained.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:37 pm

You can't disentangle finance from club size/potential. But even if you did ignore their enormous financial backing and our sizeable debt, they're in the Premier League with a bigger stadium which they filled to 98% capacity last season.

In the end, discussions about a club's "size" or attractiveness are nebulous and each protagonist will draw his or her own criteria. But I'd say finance and current division would usually be in there, and that's a disheartening comprehensive 2-0 loss.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:38 pm

Leicester Mercury sports writer man saying Leicester have approached Guus Hiddink.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:48 pm

Guus Hiddink, Louis van Gaal and Dick Advocaat in the Prem? Is it the 90s?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:49 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Whatever Freedman might have been (or said) his sides didn't play like Sacchi's, who were all about a shallow, narrow formation (what was it, 40 yards maximum between defence and attack?) and constant pressure on the ball - not massively dissimilar to Simeone's Atletico. Under Freedman you could often stage a parade through our lines and the oppo ran about willy-nilly.
And the defence push up together 10 yards every time the oppo pass backwards. I didn't get the feeling our lot were quite so well-marshalled.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:31 pm

Hiddink would be perfect for them.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:40 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
jonnycooper wrote:Without their Thai financial backing,I wouldn't rate Leicester a bigger club than us!! Roundabout the same as us I would have thought...
Unfortunately financial backing is the criteria for being a "big" club now, J.C. Main difference is having something to spend against the bring and buy sale swap-shop outfit we've become
Fulham's owner is worth three times more than Liverpool's, who's worth the same as Leicester's. Fulham must be like........... Barcefuckinglona then. :shock:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:33 pm

Prufrock wrote:Guus Hiddink, Louis van Gaal and Dick Advocaat in the Prem?
And Schteve.