Meppen Walter

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Meppen Walter

Post by Spartan2 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:26 pm

Absolutely seething after reading this article http://lionofviennasuite.sbnation.com/2 ... pen-walter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and other defences of this c*nt. Obviously there are much worse people and problems in the world but some things just get under your skin. The justification from lack of intent is infuriating, it's often a defence when drunk driving deaths occur or when a dog kills a baby, or so-called single punch deaths. I hate it. They're not accidents.

The point isn't whether c*nt should be able to get on with his life, it's whether we as fans want to cheer on a team with a murderer in it. I don't.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Meppen Walter

Post by irie Cee Bee » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:40 pm

Spartan2 wrote:Absolutely seething after reading this article http://lionofviennasuite.sbnation.com/2 ... pen-walter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and other defences of this c*nt. Obviously there are much worse people and problems in the world but some things just get under your skin. The justification from lack of intent is infuriating, it's often a defence when drunk driving deaths occur or when a dog kills a baby, or so-called single punch deaths. I hate it. They're not accidents.

The point isn't whether c*nt should be able to get on with his life, it's whether we as fans want to cheer on a team with a murderer in it. I don't.
The man is not a murderer and I hope you don't cause an accident on the road that results in death due to your negligence. We all make mistakes when we were young and excitable. Some mistakes can be brushed aside while others will haunt us for the rest of our lives. He has to live with one that will haunt him forever. That's punishment enough. If he becomes a BWFC player and puts on the BWFC shirt, I will cheer on my team.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:45 pm

That Lion of Vienna is shite.

I have some sympathy with where the article is coming from in a general sense, but the main point seems to be it was a one-off mistake:

"This isn't a recurring pattern, he had no history of reckless driving and it was just a stupid mistake".

Yes he did.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:50 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Spartan2 wrote:Absolutely seething after reading this article http://lionofviennasuite.sbnation.com/2 ... pen-walter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and other defences of this c*nt. Obviously there are much worse people and problems in the world but some things just get under your skin. The justification from lack of intent is infuriating, it's often a defence when drunk driving deaths occur or when a dog kills a baby, or so-called single punch deaths. I hate it. They're not accidents.

The man is not a murderer and I hope you don't cause an accident on the road that results in death due to your negligence. We all make mistakes when we were young and excitable. Some mistakes can be brushed aside while others will haunt us for the rest of our lives. He has to live with one that will haunt him forever. That's punishment enough. If he becomes a BWFC player and puts on the BWFC shirt, I will cheer on my team.
Let's pack up the prisons and not bother then! No, it's not. He'd already been caught doing 50-odd in 30 zone once (50-odd, not a little bit over, and not on an empty motorway but in a 30-zone) and he did it again, whilst racing, and killed two people. That's not negligence; that's not a youthful mistake we all make, he killed two people. It's an absolute travesty that he was out of prison in 8 months.

I appreciate that the justice system being f*cked in that sense is not his fault, but it's pretty easy for that anger to become displaced. He should still be in jail.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:58 pm

Can't help think this is on the wrong board. Could make for an interesting discussion in General Banter.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:12 pm

There are lots of issues here. Should he be allowed to play football again? Do we want him at our club being the main ones.

Personally I don't see why he shouldn't resume his chosen profession after his punishment has been served.

As for the second one that is a more personal thing. But without knowing the lad or the facts really it is pretty hard to say. In my view people deserve second chances and if we aren't prepared to give them out why should anyone else?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:41 pm

Are you happy to cheer on Gary Madine, Spartan?
May the bridges I burn light your way

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:56 pm

^^ I'm more concerned that we're looking at Carlisle rejects to be quite honest !
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:17 pm

Sounds like Marcos Alonso mk2. Better still Luke Mcormick! Can't stand either of them. If they wanna carry on with there chosen profession that's fine. Prefer it not to be at my club though!
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:20 pm

Why do folk link to that load of shite?
Sto ut Serviam

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:53 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:I hope you don't cause an accident on the road that results in death due to your negligence.
I hope so to. But if that were to occur it wouldn't be because of me speeding, or drinking or using my mobile phone etc.

While we're wishing each other pleasant futures, I hope you don't have to answer the door to a policeman who tells you that two of your family members are dead because a 19 year old decided it would be fun to go racing.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:40 pm

Spartan2 wrote:
irie Cee Bee wrote:I hope you don't cause an accident on the road that results in death due to your negligence.
I hope so to. But if that were to occur it wouldn't be because of me speeding, or drinking or using my mobile phone etc.

While we're wishing each other pleasant futures, I hope you don't have to answer the door to a policeman who tells you that two of your family members are dead because a 19 year old decided it would be fun to go racing.
I wouldn't wish that on anyone my friend, but I believe the law has to take its course, and I also know that carrying that revengeful feeling around will only make me an angry, unhappy and unforgiving person. Hopefully with time I would be able to get pass it and move on.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:02 pm

We're not a good prospect for players so scraping around for so called bad players to come good I would suppose is the way to go.

First Madine. Now Meppen-Walter. Heck lets go ahead and sign Ched Evans.

We don't have to like the players. We don't have to advocate their actions but what the club should be doing is looking to give these players a platform to be better people as well as better footballers. We didn't make Jardel into a better person and his off the field drug abuse and food problems impacted him so much so that he didn't become a better footballer while at our club.

As long as the players coming into the club have regretted their mistakes and are genuinely trying to make a good go of it then I don't mind them being at the club. If they're not remorseful however then I don't want to see them at the club.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:14 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:

How many people did Madine kill?
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:15 am

plymouth wanderer wrote:Sounds like Marcos Alonso mk2. Better still Luke Mcormick! Can't stand either of them. If they wanna carry on with there chosen profession that's fine. Prefer it not to be at my club though!
This. there are more important things in football than the actual football

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:54 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

How many people did Madine kill?
Ahh, so now we sit as imperial arbiters when it comes to applauding our malefactors, do we? Right oh!

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:15 am

No we just don't compare people who have killed children in a car crash than someone who punched a bloke in the jaw for giving him shit

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:35 am

boltonboris wrote:No we just don't compare people who have killed children in a car crash than someone who punched a bloke in the jaw for giving him shit
Isn't GBH one down from attempted murder? I'm guessing that what Mappen-Walter did wasn't done on purpose.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:02 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
boltonboris wrote:No we just don't compare people who have killed children in a car crash than someone who punched a bloke in the jaw for giving him shit
Isn't GBH one down from attempted murder? I'm guessing that what Mappen-Walter did wasn't done on purpose.
CMW may not have displayed malice aforethought but the UK doesn't have an offence of "vehicular homicide", which in other countries might have been levelled at the accused. That's as close as I get to an opinion on this; here are some reported facts, delivered as far as possible without spin.

Meppen-Walter admitted causing death by careless driving. The court heard that he was driving his Mercedes C220 saloon at 55.89mph and accelerating, at 22:15 BST on 1 September 2012. He crashed into a Nissan Micra emerging from a side street when the crash happened on Bury New Road, at the junction of Great Ducie Street and Sherborne Street. He had one previous conviction for speeding - again doing 56mph in a 30mph zone – but during the trial, police said they had concluded that he was not racing. He was convicted, banned from driving for three years and sentenced to 16 months' imprisonment* (of which he served the expected eight months, having been mistakenly freed after four months and returned to jail). He was released in November 2013. Within a month Carlisle gave him a trial, then a one-month contract, then a contract until summer 2016.

In Dec 2013 he told BBC Radio Cumbria:
I'll never forget what I did, but need to try and get on with my life. Kav (Carlisle manager Graham Kavanagh) put faith in me and I owe him. There are no amount of words to take it back and I'm sorry with all my heart for what I've inflicted on the families involved. I'd do anything to take it back, I mean that with all my heart.
People need to look at what I did and make sure they don't make the same mistakes," he told BBC Radio Cumbria. Prison has had a really positive impact on me. There was a lot of time to think and I realised how lucky I am and how much I love football. Anyone who knew me before the crash will know how different I am now.
I didn't even consider getting fit and leaving straight away. Along with Kav's support, one of the most humbling things I've experienced is the fans' support - I couldn't have stayed without that.
*Because he was given a custodial sentence between six months and 30 months, legally it can be mentioned in publications for 10 years before being classed as a "lapsed conviction" which requires good reason for mentioning it, rather than malice. Lapsed conviction lengths, for the record:

Conviction resulting in a fine: five years
Conviction resulting in a jail term of up to six months: seven years
Conviction resulting in a jail term of more than six months but less than 30 months: 10 years
For a jail term of more than 30 months, the conviction never lapses
Last edited by Dave Sutton's barnet on Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:27 am

Interesting on the racing as it was widely reported at the time, and I thought I'd seen since, as being true. Bad tabloids, who knew.

Do you have a source for saying he admitted causing death by dangerous driving? Every report I've read said he was convicted of causing death by careless driving, which is where most of my anger at this comes from. The maximum sentence for causing death by careless driving is 5 years; for causing death by dangerous driving it's 14.

There is no way, by any interpretation of the words, that doing 56 in a 30 zone is careless rather than dangerous. He should still be in prison.