One year on...

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Re: One year on...

Post by TonyDomingos » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:27 pm

On the back of an envelop - literally, so happy to be corrected - I reckon NL's "first season" has produced 54pts. W13, D15, L18. A ppg average of 1.17 (around 0.5 ppg short of play off form).

I couldn't be bothered to calculate the goals for and against, but I'm willing to bet that the difference between the two is a negative number.

I was pleasantly surprised this time last year, but now I'm under no illusion that Lennon is our saviour. Maybe he'll keep us up, but as Bish noted in the QPR thread, if he's got a game plan, then he's keeping it well hidden!
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:19 am

You do him a disservice Domingos, that first loss was whilst Andy Hughes was at the helm. His points/game tally to date is exactly 1.2, which over the last three seasons would have finished, 16th, 16th & 21st.

Unfortunately, his last 30 games at the helm, since about the time his first transfer window 'slammed shut', we are running at 0.867 points/game. That figure extrapolated over a 46 game season would amass a shade under 40 points, over the last three seasons we would have finished, 22nd, 22nd, & 24th.

I understand that folk like Lennon's media persona, he comes across ok in front of the cameras. I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone lets that overshadow his abysmal performance as our manager. With his record, I can't think of any previous Bolton manager that wouldn't be hanging from a gallows somewhere by now.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:39 am

^^ Because, unlike Megson & Freedman he's not a tit.
Unlike Lee, Megson & Coyle he hasn't had riches to spend. Even Freedman relatively.
Unlike those four he took over a sinking (sunk ?) ship ... sunk by them in fact.
The fans realise what a difficult job he has and can appreciate that he's working in difficult circumstances.

Plus, we can't simply sack managers on a twice yearly basis.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:53 am

How often do those two watch us at home?

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:58 am

Enoch wrote:You do him a disservice Domingos, that first loss was whilst Andy Hughes was at the helm. His points/game tally to date is exactly 1.2, which over the last three seasons would have finished, 16th, 16th & 21st.

Unfortunately, his last 30 games at the helm, since about the time his first transfer window 'slammed shut', we are running at 0.867 points/game. That figure extrapolated over a 46 game season would amass a shade under 40 points, over the last three seasons we would have finished, 22nd, 22nd, & 24th.

I understand that folk like Lennon's media persona, he comes across ok in front of the cameras. I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone lets that overshadow his abysmal performance as our manager. With his record, I can't think of any previous Bolton manager that wouldn't be hanging from a gallows somewhere by now.
so are you calling for him to be sacked then ?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:14 pm

StaffsTrotter wrote:
Enoch wrote:You do him a disservice Domingos, that first loss was whilst Andy Hughes was at the helm. His points/game tally to date is exactly 1.2, which over the last three seasons would have finished, 16th, 16th & 21st.

so are you calling for him to be sacked then ?
Some people cannot get over being so wrong about Freedman I think you will find!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:31 pm

bobo the clown wrote:^^ Because, unlike Megson & Freedman he's not a tit.
Unlike Lee, Megson & Coyle he hasn't had riches to spend. Even Freedman relatively.
Unlike those four he took over a sinking (sunk ?) ship ... sunk by them in fact.
The fans realise what a difficult job he has and can appreciate that he's working in difficult circumstances.

indeed he isn't a tit! but I'd rather have a tit who wins games than a great media bloke who doesn't...

not that that's on offer at the moment... so I guess you could argue that it's better to have an unsuccesful decent bloke than an unsuccesful tit - but - small margins!! :D

I don't think anyone has called for his sacking, have they??? certainly not on this forum. did I miss summat?

also - I think the ship started sinking when BigSam left - it's been sinking for a long time!!

still - as I have said several times, Lenny is the best we could have hoped for at the time - and I'm fairly sure he's the best we can hope for just now - let's hope summat clicks and the results start to come...

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:57 pm

I was one of the dissidents when Lennon's name was first touted, but I grew to the idea because people (on here) and the media convinced me. I'm prepared to give him time. A year isn't all that much. All fans will have their own opinions, of course, and there are probably things he's doing wrong that is causing some frustration with others. Coyle began to rile me pretty quickly, but Lennon is getting some more time from me. We aren't getting results, but I can't say there is too much he is doing that's pissing me off. Probably the weirdest thing he's done is sign Twardzick, but I'd be more pissed off if he insisted on playing him week in week out because he was one of his signings.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:41 pm

Jugs wrote:Probably the weirdest thing he's done is sign Twardzick, but I'd be more pissed off if he insisted on playing him week in week out because he was one of his signings.
Twardzick at least seems versatile, certainly for the reserves. Maybe he was trying to find a budget Mulgrew.

This season we were possibly unlucky/didn't help ourselves to begin with, then picked up a bit, then the swede left so I'm assuming there was a level of disruption when the new guy came in.

After this international break Burnley we should hopefully start to pick up again.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:58 pm

Armchair Wanderer wrote:
Jugs wrote:Probably the weirdest thing he's done is sign Twardzick, but I'd be more pissed off if he insisted on playing him week in week out because he was one of his signings.
Twardzick at least seems versatile, certainly for the reserves. Maybe he was trying to find a budget Mulgrew.

This season we were possibly unlucky/didn't help ourselves to begin with, then picked up a bit, then the swede left so I'm assuming there was a level of disruption when the new guy came in.

After this international break Burnley Christmas The January Window a full pre-season we should hopefully start to pick up again.
fixed :wink:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:25 pm

bobo the clown wrote:^^ Because, unlike Megson & Freedman he's not a tit.

We've been a sunk ship since Coyle relegated us.

That's the truth. We had half a chance at a rescue but didn't change captain early enough. From then on the spiral has been incredibly difficult to turn round.

The whole 'he's not a tit' thing is absolute bollocks though.

The only thing that matters is results. And results simply aren't good enough. We can't sack Lennon so he simply has to improve results. If he can't I suspect he will simply leave as can't see him hanging around for the fall out.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:15 pm

Armchair Wanderer wrote:

After this international break Burnley we should hopefully start to pick up again.
He seems quite lightweight to me. Maybe if he bulked up, we could be talking about first team action but at the same time he's looked pretty clueless in the snippets I've seen.

jetsetwilly
Reliable
Reliable

Post by jetsetwilly » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:58 pm

Given that we have a very realistic chance of being relegated this year, at what point will the fans turn on him. Before we go down. If we go down. If we struggle in league 1?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:30 pm

jetsetwilly wrote:Given that we have a very realistic chance of being relegated this year, at what point will the fans turn on him. Before we go down. If we go down. If we struggle in league 1?
I don't see many turning on him this season. Coyle got a fairly easy ride up to relegation, until we struggled in the Chanpionship.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:53 pm

Enoch wrote:You do him a disservice Domingos, that first loss was whilst Andy Hughes was at the helm.
I didn't include that game, but I did count today's. :wink:
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:58 pm

Careful with that crystal ball!