Bedsheets, Pitchforks and colours nailed etc.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Bedsheets, Pitchforks and colours nailed etc.

Post by jonnycooper » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:53 am

William the White wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Hoboh wrote:What I don't understand is why we have the soft, feeble minded players on the pitch we do when surely to God it was the 'norm' for nearly every Scottish team where nearly every game could be classed as a local derby!
Lennon needs a clone of himself on the pitch but I wonder if that worries him?
It isn't soft feeble minded players that seems to be our problem. it's not being able to score goals, is it not? We make chances enough; we did today, but can't finish them off, like Feeney's or Heskey heading a real chance straight at the keeper It all comes back to the same thing every game, we need a striker who can finish. Everybody knows this and admits it. Till we get one, what's going to change?
Crazy not to sign the Juke when he'd pretty much single handedly got us going.

Crazier not to sign ALF, who got better and better in his spell with us.

A failure to make a modest investment is now running down the owner's assets seriously...

And destroying this season - and possibly the following ten... We have form when it comes to dropping into the 3rd tier...

I personally think Dawson was just as influential as Juke,if not more so! Given the choice I,d take Dawson over juke every time..

I know, I know! Different positions,but Dawson was just brilliant for us! :oyea:

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:38 am

It isn't time to sack Lennon.

We've been desperately unlucky at times this season. We hit the bar a few times against Derby, and should have scored against MK Dons. We came close to beating Blackburn, but they got a man on the line to clear Heskey's goalbound shot away. Looking at stats and listening to what people have said, we were as good as Burnley yesterday - if not better. We just can't score and we keep conceding at the other end.

It's not all down to luck, of course, but some of the things that have gone against Lennon - a MASSIVE injury list last season, losing Clough again this season, several horrendous misses from his players (Madine v Burton springs to mind), and absolutely no money to actually buy players with - are not easy to cope with.

People talk about Hughton and how he's transformed Brighton. He's had cash to spend. He bought a Sheff United youngster for £1.75mill. We just don't have that kind of money.

Lennon pointed out that a £7mill striker was the difference yesterday. People have criticised him for saying that, but he's right to say it. When we beat a few teams in the Prem, opposite managers used to say it was Anelka who was the difference. That's what money buys you. Sometimes it really is a quality striker that is the difference in tight games. And, yes, yesterday sounded like a tight game.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:47 am

I think we tried to sign all three didn't we? Or at least made enquiries about the asking price. IIRC Dawson wanted to go back and prove his worth to WBA, we were gazumped on Juke and had nothing like what they were asking for Alf.

As to the modest investment improving the value of the asset, there was talk about selling the Club when we were in the Prem and doing ok. The phrase "form an orderly queue" hasn't featured, yet.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:08 am

Jugs wrote:It isn't time to sack Lennon.

We've been desperately unlucky at times this season. We hit the bar a few times against Derby, and should have scored against MK Dons. We came close to beating Blackburn, but they got a man on the line to clear Heskey's goalbound shot away. Looking at stats and listening to what people have said, we were as good as Burnley yesterday - if not better. We just can't score and we keep conceding at the other end.

It's not all down to luck, of course, but some of the things that have gone against Lennon - a MASSIVE injury list last season, losing Clough again this season, several horrendous misses from his players (Madine v Burton springs to mind), and absolutely no money to actually buy players with - are not easy to cope with.

People talk about Hughton and how he's transformed Brighton. He's had cash to spend. He bought a Sheff United youngster for £1.75mill. We just don't have that kind of money.

Lennon pointed out that a £7mill striker was the difference yesterday. People have criticised him for saying that, but he's right to say it. When we beat a few teams in the Prem, opposite managers used to say it was Anelka who was the difference. That's what money buys you. Sometimes it really is a quality striker that is the difference in tight games. And, yes, yesterday sounded like a tight game.
Nobody to my knowledge is really talking about Hughton. Rowett might be a better comparison.

Few people want Lennon sacked. I think what most want is this horrible run of form that stretches way back into last season to be a) addressed and b) ended.

There aren't any excuses for 1 win in 20 odd. No excuse for the bizarre team selections either.

All I want is for Lennon to stop messing and get a settled side out with a midfield that can compete and a plan and structure that isn't relying on us dominating a game to get a result. And I want him to do that week in week out.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:16 am

Jugs wrote:We just can't score and we keep conceding at the other end.
^^ this.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:37 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:

Nobody to my knowledge is really talking about Hughton. Rowett might be a better comparison.

Few people want Lennon sacked. I think what most want is this horrible run of form that stretches way back into last season to be a) addressed and b) ended.

There aren't any excuses for 1 win in 20 odd. No excuse for the bizarre team selections either.

All I want is for Lennon to stop messing and get a settled side out with a midfield that can compete and a plan and structure that isn't relying on us dominating a game to get a result. And I want him to do that week in week out.
Controlling the game without the ball! It pains me to say it but it appears Freedman had much more idea how to get an away result in this league than Lennon does.
Obviously I massively prefer Lennon though because we actually try to win at home and have a go at teams, which is more important than away form. What a shitty few years though.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:38 am

TonyDomingos wrote:
Jugs wrote:We just can't score and we keep conceding at the other end.
^^ this.
Minor problems, when compared to three at the back and whether Mavies is a deep lying midfielder. :-)

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:57 am

We have to assume that they practice these models in training .... & that they appear to work.

Then again we have to presume that we practice dead balls but it appears we don't.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:21 am

No offence mate, but how many what if's and excuses does it take before we go down?
I'm backing Lennon for now but I do worry he's looking for good performances rather than results.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:06 pm

This club needs to stop feeling sorry for itself and to stop thinking the League owes us something.

Get up, dust yourself down, keep that fecking head up and get on with the job at hand.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:25 pm

DJBlu wrote:This club needs to stop feeling sorry for itself and to stop thinking the League owes us something.

Get up, dust yourself down, keep that fecking head up and get on with the job at hand.
When you say, club, what do you mean? Because it isn't one entity. Do you mean, fans? Players? Manager? Board?

Because I think that one of the big issues we have is that successive managers have focussed on what we don't have and can't afford rather than what we do have and can afford. I guess as fans we all do that too.

But I think that is a natural consequence of managers not being able to fix problems they think are solvable when they join. Lennon came in saying how good a squad this was and how he'd tried to sign half the players elsewhere. He's not saying that now, just pointing at other teams and what they can spend.

There was a similar pattern with Freedman though different players at the time.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:47 pm

What I need to know is whether or not Bobo considers him to be 'half decent'? :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:27 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:What I need to know is whether or not Bobo considers him to be 'half decent'? :)
More than. Better than the last 3 put together.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:36 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:No. No point sacking managers. People didn't get when I said last time that sacking Freedman wasn't the answer. It wasn't. Neither is sacking Lennon now. We have no money and can't obviously attract what we need which is someone with actual experience of managing underperforming clubs in this league with meagre funds.

We need to improve and Lennon needs to stop dicking around and start picking a consistent side with battlers.

And he needs to use the money Nixon and Iles say he has to strengthen up front and possibly find another all action physical midfield player. But a striker first.
Sacking Freedman most definitely was the answer. I defended him for ages but it would have been madness to stick with him. He was making us worse with every passing week and quite obviously didn't have a clue how to arrest the slide. His post match comments after games when we'd been gubbed were frequently "we dominated, we played well" etc when it was quite clear to everyone that we hadn't. He also blew what little money we had left giving contracts to Beckford, Trotter et al.

Lennon is struggling with the situation undoubtedly, but I'm satisfied he's a better manager than Freedman and we should stick with him.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:46 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:No. No point sacking managers. People didn't get when I said last time that sacking Freedman wasn't the answer. It wasn't. Neither is sacking Lennon now. We have no money and can't obviously attract what we need which is someone with actual experience of managing underperforming clubs in this league with meagre funds.

We need to improve and Lennon needs to stop dicking around and start picking a consistent side with battlers.

And he needs to use the money Nixon and Iles say he has to strengthen up front and possibly find another all action physical midfield player. But a striker first.
Sacking Freedman most definitely was the answer. I defended him for ages but it would have been madness to stick with him. He was making us worse with every passing week and quite obviously didn't have a clue how to arrest the slide. His post match comments after games when we'd been gubbed were frequently "we dominated, we played well" etc when it was quite clear to everyone that we hadn't. He also blew what little money we had left giving contracts to Beckford, Trotter et al.

Lennon is struggling with the situation undoubtedly, but I'm satisfied he's a better manager than Freedman and we should stick with him.
The point was it hasn't fixed us. Exactly a year later we are simply a place lower in the league.

Freedman was struggling as is Lennon. Freedman said some pretty desperate things towards the end. I wasn't arguing he shouldn't have been sacked. Merely that at the time I said the reality was a change of manager wasn't the be all and end all.

And the end result is nowt is better. The same pattern as when Freedman replaced Coyle has been repeated again.

Sacking managers has not changed our situation or got us upwardly mobile.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:48 pm

The only reason Eddie's not sold the club is because he's asking too much. Market forces dominate what you can sell stuff for. In a village near me one house has been on the market for nearly three years, only because the sellers refuse to bring the price down. Now, if they decided to paint all the rooms purple and store piles of horseshit in the front garden then they'll never sell. Horseshit in the garden is Lennon (and previously Freedman, and a smaller pile, Coyle). The purple paint is the team and its startling combinations. The estate agent is Gartside and the seller is big Eddie - bring the price down and piss off, or paint the fxckin walls a better colour and clear out the pile of horseshit.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:57 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:The only reason Eddie's not sold the club is because he's asking too much. Market forces dominate what you can sell stuff for. In a village near me one house has been on the market for nearly three years, only because the sellers refuse to bring the price down. Now, if they decided to paint all the rooms purple and store piles of horseshit in the front garden then they'll never sell. Horseshit in the garden is Lennon (and previously Freedman, and a smaller pile, Coyle). The purple paint is the team and its startling combinations. The estate agent is Gartside and the seller is big Eddie - bring the price down and piss off, or paint the fxckin walls a better colour and clear out the pile of horseshit.
If you believe what Nixon says and Iles the problem is that to continue on our current budget assuming income stays unchanged will cost any new buyer £10M a year. So without significant improving the squad it is a £10M a year bill. To improve on that obviously will cost more.

And that is if revenue stays the same which. Seems unlikely.

Even if Eddie sells for a very low price it is likely to cost any investor a considerable amount to get us into contention for the top flight.

What exactly is attractive to an investor, beyond the premiership? Even then it is more a marketing tool for whatever businesses they run. That is a very expensive marketing tool and one with no guarantees.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:38 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

The point was it hasn't fixed us. Exactly a year later we are simply a place lower in the league.

Freedman was struggling as is Lennon. Freedman said some pretty desperate things towards the end. I wasn't arguing he shouldn't have been sacked. Merely that at the time I said the reality was a change of manager wasn't the be all and end all.

And the end result is nowt is better. The same pattern as when Freedman replaced Coyle has been repeated again.

Sacking managers has not changed our situation or got us upwardly mobile.
Agree with Harry. I'm convinced that if we hadn't sacked Freedman we'd be a division lower not a place. He'd lost it. Lennon hasn't, he's struggling, but you would hope also learning. If we're still bottom at Christmas with no sign of improvement then it might need looking at.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:06 pm

Freedman had lost it - I suspect Lennon would be in the same doctors queue if hed had to put with the abuse that Freedman got from cretins

This job has been all but impossible since Coyle fcuked us over with spunking massive wages on utter shite

Ever since its been an increasingly more difficult papering over the cracks job

But hey, he was a nice bloke

And the insane one is reet

Lennon isn't doing well

Hes making strange selections

Should we sack him, should we balls
Sto ut Serviam

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:35 pm

Lennon inherited a team of over paid, poorly performing professionals in a fast declining club. He was given a tough brief and a project which will take at least 3 years. Now isn't the time to lose faith. Even if we're relegated.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.