Question about a fan takeover

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Question about a fan takeover

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:45 pm

norm the jedi wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:Interesting and thoroughly depressing article here:
http://www.insideworldfootball.com/matt ... hts-go-out" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'Might they have avoided relegation altogether without paying that interest? Actually, perhaps they might. In 2009-10 Bolton had the Premier League's eighth-highest wage bill and eighth-highest transfer investment, a position that declined year on year until they were ranked 14th and 14th in 2011-12, the year of that fateful relegation. With overall football investment of £57.7 million, the extra £5.5 million would have put them head and shoulders above Aston Villa, Everton and West Bromwich Albion that season, perhaps funding the player or two who could have cushioned them relegation. Indeed, paying out £5.5 million in interest to ownership when one-off interest costs of £9.2 million were sustained to other lenders in the same season seems to have bordered on the reckless.'

So far from the altruistic hurling of good money after bad our principle 'benefactor' was in fact taking a sizeable lump out year on year?
The interest was added to the debt. It wasn't like it came back out of the club. That article is largely nonsense. If only Eddie had put another 5.7M in we might have stayed up and given him the chance to have to invest yet more to again stay up...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:27 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:I wonder how ED will be remembered by the fans - the person (fan) who backed us through the best spell in recent times OR the person (fan) who pulled the plug, and sat back as we went down to League 1.

He's put a lot of money into the club and allowed us fans to see players that we could have only dreamt of back in the 80's / 90's - but he's also allowed PG to mismanage the many millions that the club made from the premier league years, and now he's sitting back and allowing the club to slide alarmingly. I'm not saying that he should be putting more money in, and its good that he's willing to accept £15-20M to sell the club and write off the losses - but just wondering if we do down to League 1 (which is likely) in the circumstances that now surround the club - how he will be remembered ?
Fan who backed us through our best spell in recent times for me.

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Post by StaffsTrotter » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:35 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Peter Thompson wrote:I wonder how ED will be remembered by the fans - the person (fan) who backed us through the best spell in recent times OR the person (fan) who pulled the plug, and sat back as we went down to League 1.

He's put a lot of money into the club and allowed us fans to see players that we could have only dreamt of back in the 80's / 90's - but he's also allowed PG to mismanage the many millions that the club made from the premier league years, and now he's sitting back and allowing the club to slide alarmingly. I'm not saying that he should be putting more money in, and its good that he's willing to accept £15-20M to sell the club and write off the losses - but just wondering if we do down to League 1 (which is likely) in the circumstances that now surround the club - how he will be remembered ?
Fan who backed us through our best spell in recent times for me.
+1

Riviman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Riviman » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:20 pm

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/14 ... ef=mr&lp=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seems Stelios fronted a takeover bid in January!
I feel reborn !!!! No more confussion

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:07 pm

I do so hope we don't suffer Little Englandism from a bloke who presumably doesn't live in the Isle of Man for the scenery.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:22 pm

ED is Hoboh and I claim my 5 Internet pounds.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:29 pm

I like the look of the Stelios one.

Canadian/Greek ... so what if it's real and there's money ? It must be cleaner than when Citeh dealt with Shinawatra (sp? )
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:11 pm

I'm old enough to remember Michael Nighton's shambolic attempted take over at Old Trafford. I've got this awful feeling the Deano thing is going to go the same way.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:24 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:I'm old enough to remember Michael Nighton's shambolic attempted take over at Old Trafford. I've got this awful feeling the Deano thing is going to go the same way.
Didn't he try us first and get short shrift?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:53 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Bijou Bob wrote:I'm old enough to remember Michael Nighton's shambolic attempted take over at Old Trafford. I've got this awful feeling the Deano thing is going to go the same way.
He did. Whoever was the main man in those days (Hargreaves?, McBain?) said they wouldn't negotiate with anonymous bidders. For a bloke who later juggled the ball at Old Trafford and had contact with aliens he was strangely shy with us
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:57 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
He did. Whoever was the main man in those days (Hargreaves?, McBain?) said they wouldn't negotiate with anonymous bidders. For a bloke who later juggled the ball at Old Trafford and had contact with aliens he was strangely shy with us
To be fair to him he very nearly got hold of the Red Shite for about £20m.

He could gave really damaged them as well. Same with Maxwell. Aaaah. What might have been.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:49 am

To be honest I think it is about time Eddie Davies came out and did some talking. Publically. He doesn't like doing that, but hasn't got Gartside to use as his voice anymore and whilst Birch is now here, he can't speak about things that happened whilst he wasn't here.

As much as Eddie has done amazing things with his investment here, I think now is the time we need to hear from HIM what the situation is.

I'd like him, for example, to deny the rumour that he will only sell to UK funded consortia or individuals. This has now gone into print in the Bolton news and clearly we must hope that it isn't true. But if it is, I'd like his rationale.

Whilst he has no obligation whatsoever, it would be nice to hear at least an overview of his thoughts. Not expecting gory details or anything revelatory, but the situation is rife with speculation and he could help ease worries or paint the picture as it is.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:05 am

Or he could appear desperate, get tripped up by scheming journos, say something he shouldn't, and drive down his price.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:09 am

One thing's for sure, every last word would be pecked to death and misinterpreted, over and over and over ..........

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:48 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Or he could appear desperate, get tripped up by scheming journos, say something he shouldn't, and drive down his price.
That is the risk. But if this thing drags on a bigger risk is things turning a bit nasty inside the ground or simply (as is more likely) crowds withering away further and further.

Eddie owes Bolton fans nothing, but as owner he is partly responsible for lack of clarity, direction and leadership at the club. And if he isn't prepared to front up he needs someone who is in my view. Birch may well be that man, but it is not really satisfactory given he's only been here a week and presumably has a very specific mandate.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:13 pm

I'm a little unsure about which bit we're missing or what you'd expect him to talk about? The Club is up for sale, we know that. The Board and I assume now Trevor Birch will try and find the best fit buyer. I don't see really what there is to talk about.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:22 pm

Get your people to call my people.

We must chat soon.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:24 pm

Worthy4England wrote:I'm a little unsure about which bit we're missing or what you'd expect him to talk about? The Club is up for sale, we know that. The Board and I assume now Trevor Birch will try and find the best fit buyer. I don't see really what there is to talk about.
...and legally you can't reveal any details of the bid(s).

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:40 pm

Worthy4England wrote:I'm a little unsure about which bit we're missing or what you'd expect him to talk about? The Club is up for sale, we know that. The Board and I assume now Trevor Birch will try and find the best fit buyer. I don't see really what there is to talk about.
Assurance that the club can stay operational in the interim period?

Assurance he is committed to finding best possible owners for the club?

That sort of thing.....

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:04 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Assurance that the club can stay operational in the interim period?

Assurance he is committed to finding best possible owners for the club?

That sort of thing.....
How do you think he could guarantee the latter? The best owners being the best of the one, two or three that might so far have expressed an interest? The best possible anywhere - so he goes and whacks Mansour over the head at City? I think the second on is a bit of a nonsense :-)

As for the first - given we have no notion how long an "interim period" might take - that's going to be a fair old ask too. He could say "I'll fund until a buyer is found" but given that we were listening to offers since about 2008 - that's a fairly chunky ask. He's not going to say "I'll fund until the end of the season or another 4 weeks (or whatever)" - why would he - buyers would them just wait (or I would if it was me - see if they could get a better deal)...