On This Day In History

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

On This Day In History

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:30 am

1985. I was one of the sodden 2,902 assembled on Burnden watching us getting dicked 3-0 by Darlington in what went on to be Allardyce's last ever game as a Wanderers' player. The crowd that night would've been 2.898 (at best) only our bommie was pissed wet through and we couldn't get it lit. Darlington's next game is against Buxton, famous for nothing other (in my house, anyway) than being the birthplace of Lloyd Cole.

So stop fecking moaning! :)

The team that night, by the way, was;

1/ Farnworth
2/ Joyce
3/ Phillips
4/ Thompson (Steve)
5/ Scott
6/ Allardyce
7/ Walker
8/ Cross
9/ Entwistle
10/ Hartford
11/ Bell

12/ Caldwell (For Thompson)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: On This Day In History

Post by Jugs » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:39 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:1985. I was one of the sodden 2,902 assembled on Burnden watching us getting dicked 3-0 by Darlington in what went on to be Allardyce's last ever game as a Wanderers' player. The crowd that night would've been 2.898 (at best) only our bommie was pissed wet through and we couldn't get it lit. Darlington's next game is against Buxton, famous for nothing other (in my house, anyway) than being the birthplace of Lloyd Cole.

1/ Farnworth
2/ Joyce
3/ Phillips
4/ Thompson (Steve)
5/ Scott
6/ Allardyce
7/ Walker
8/ Cross
9/ Entwistle
10/ Hartford
11/ Bell

Aye, you might be speaking in a bit of jest, but we've seen much darker days.

Chins up!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:03 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:1985. I was one of the sodden 2,902 assembled on Burnden watching us getting dicked 3-0 by Darlington in what went on to be Allardyce's last ever game as a Wanderers' player. The crowd that night would've been 2.898 (at best) only our bommie was pissed wet through and we couldn't get it lit. Darlington's next game is against Buxton, famous for nothing other (in my house, anyway) than being the birthplace of Lloyd Cole.

1/ Farnworth
2/ Joyce
3/ Phillips
4/ Thompson (Steve)
5/ Scott
6/ Allardyce
7/ Walker
8/ Cross
9/ Entwistle
10/ Hartford
11/ Bell

Water.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:09 pm

On Sunday, it'll be nine years to the day since we drew at Bayern Munich.

1985 Darlington, 2007 Bayern. Wonder which of those extremes we'll be nearer in 2029?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:33 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:On Sunday, it'll be nine years to the day since we drew at Bayern Munich.

1985 Darlington, 2007 Bayern. Wonder which of those extremes we'll be nearer in 2029?
I went to the Darlington game but missed the Bayern match. Wtf was I thinking?! :conf: :D

Some scary similarities with the 85 side. A team of ageing journey men who've long seen better days along with a collection of never-will-bes
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:59 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:Some scary similarities with the 85 side. A team of ageing journey men who've long seen better days along with a collection of never-will-bes
True, but the team the fireman chucked out at Bayern (wilfully shorn of Anelka, Diouf and Campo) wasn't exactly brilliant. For instance, a centre-back at right-back...

Al Habsi
Andrew O'Brien
Cid
Michalik
Gardner
Alonso (Giannakopoulos 56)
Nolan
Guthrie
McCann
Braaten (Teymourian 77)
Davies
Subs not used: Walker, Speed, Harsanyi, Sinclair, Sissons

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:10 pm

The fireman engineered team spirit then! :D

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:20 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:Some scary similarities with the 85 side. A team of ageing journey men who've long seen better days along with a collection of never-will-bes
True, but the team the fireman chucked out at Bayern (wilfully shorn of Anelka, Diouf and Campo) wasn't exactly brilliant. For instance, a centre-back at right-back...

Al Habsi
Andrew O'Brien
Cid
Michalik
Gardner
Alonso (Giannakopoulos 56)
Nolan
Guthrie
McCann
Braaten (Teymourian 77)
Davies
Subs not used: Walker, Speed, Harsanyi, Sinclair, Sissons
Wowsers. Cid played. Forgot that. Seeing this team sheet really does make a mockery of subsequent criticism for team selections in the competition.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:25 pm

Oh, I'm not sure. Just because we lucked through once - twice, with Atletico - doesn't make it forgivable.

Bayern: Kahn; Jansen, Lucio, Van Buyten, Lell; Ribéry (Kroos, 60), Ottl, Van Bommel, Schweinsteiger (Altintop, 73); Podolski (Toni, 57), Klose. Substitutes not used: Rensing, Ze Roberto, Schlaudraff, Sosa.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:27 pm

Bayern allowed us back into the game by taking Ribery off. Otherwise, I'm fairly sure we'd have lost comfortably.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:29 pm

On paper that Bayern team should have battered us, and were it not for some inspired goal-keeping we would have been looking at a heavy defeat. It was a proper opportunistic equaliser from Davies too - long throw from Andranik, Nolan makes a mug out of Big Lucio and Davo slams it past Germany's No.1. Good times!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:30 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Oh, I'm not sure. Just because we lucked through once - twice, with Atletico - doesn't make it forgivable.

Bayern: Kahn; Jansen, Lucio, Van Buyten, Lell; Ribéry (Kroos, 60), Ottl, Van Bommel, Schweinsteiger (Altintop, 73); Podolski (Toni, 57), Klose. Substitutes not used: Rensing, Ze Roberto, Schlaudraff, Sosa.
I just mean we were playing weakened teams all the way through. Not just in the quarters.

Getting a draw at Bayern with that team is probably the most remarkable result we've ever had.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:38 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Oh, I'm not sure. Just because we lucked through once - twice, with Atletico - doesn't make it forgivable.

I just mean we were playing weakened teams all the way through. Not just in the quarters.

Getting a draw at Bayern with that team is probably the most remarkable result we've ever had.

I saw us draw 1-1 v. Guimaraes, 2-2 in Munich and 0-0 vs. Atletico Madrid

GtE - Unbeaten in Europe. :)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:06 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:On Sunday, it'll be nine years to the day since we drew at Bayern Munich.
Well, that's not on this day in history until Sunday then, is it?! You fecking journo's! :D

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:36 pm

Arsenal fans swooning with jealousy on reading that...

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Well, that's not on this day in history until Sunday then, is it?! You fecking journo's! :D
For 'this day in history' to really resonate both the date and the day should coincide, so you're both unsynchronised :fingers:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:04 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
For 'this day in history' to really resonate both the date and the day should coincide, so you're both unsynchronised :fingers:
No we're not. You c*nt.Go feck yourself!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:23 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

Only team ever to beat Red Star Belgrade on their own turf?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:38 pm

Jugs wrote:Bayern allowed us back into the game by taking Ribery off. Otherwise, I'm fairly sure we'd have lost comfortably.
Yer a right bl**dy pessimist. 8) :D

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:38 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
No we're not. You c*nt.Go feck yourself!
Won't :P
Not only was 5th November 1985 a Tuesday, and 8th November 2007 a Thursday, but, and this is much more important, the latter was exactly 8 years ago on Sunday. Nyerrr.
Also, Tuesday 5th November 1985 saw the 998th episode of Emmerdale when Sandie was faced by a dilemma when the police came round to Emmerdale Farm. Double nyeeeerr.
(just to add, I was at neither game. I was probably watching Emmerdale in 85, and 07 I was out in Canada desperately trying to find a channel that might be broadcasting the match in my hotel room - 8 billion channels and I couldn't find one with football on it.)
Last edited by Lost Leopard Spot on Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください