Royals, my arse! - Reading (A) 21/11/15

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Royals, my arse! - Reading (A) 21/11/15

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:26 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Really tempted to say just stick Jimmy Phillips (is he still here?) in the hotseat and see what happens....
Because Jimmy Phillips is nailed-on to deliver what, exactly? :conf:
Nothing. But something has to change. Our form over an extended period isn't just terrible, it is worse than that.

Something has to galvanise the players. The Lennon I see week in week out looks as beaten as they do.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:37 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:The Lennon I see week in week out looks as beaten as they do.
Not at all surprising from what I hear....

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:38 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Really tempted to say just stick Jimmy Phillips (is he still here?) in the hotseat and see what happens....
Because Jimmy Phillips is nailed-on to deliver what, exactly? :conf:
Nothing. But something has to change. Our form over an extended period isn't just terrible, it is worse than that.

Something has to galvanise the players. The Lennon I see week in week out looks as beaten as they do.
Yeah. You're in Charlie Wright territory there, mate! Brilliant!
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:44 pm

Changing the manager is rather fatuously small beans compared to changing the entire ownership model.

We've no idea what we are heading into. With the right ownership Lennon may be fine. With the wrong ownership we'd struggle with Guardiola.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:04 pm

What I find odd .... and not easily forgiven ... is that we lack fight, team spirit. All sorts can be explained away but not a lack of spirit. Backs to the wall & you find out who's who. We appear to be finding not a great deal.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:27 pm

bobo the clown wrote:What I find odd .... and not easily forgiven ... is that we lack fight, team spirit. All sorts can be explained away but not a lack of spirit. Backs to the wall & you find out who's who. We appear to be finding not a great deal.
I really thought Lennon would be a good manager but I've been saying for months now - the team is made up of mard arse, soft as shit, bottle less shit bags, mentally weak as piss - but individually as players they neither have pride in either themselves or the club who pay their wages.

I'll say for the umpteenth time - Lennon has been allowed to sign plenty of players but he has failed to address the glaring issue - which is leadership on the pitch - he has spunked / wasted what little money we had on players just to add numbers to the squad, players who 'add nothing' instead of getting in a couple of tough tackling, hard nasty bastard players who will run through a brick wall and who hate losing, players the other players would respect - instead we have a bone idle, ambling captain 'Pratley' who is so 'laid back', 'can't be arsed' and lacking in leadership qualities its criminal - he should be a vicar not captain of a football team.

Lennon's signings have been absolutely appalling - he's assembled a squad of tarts who are more suited to 'strictly come dancing' than professional football - I think his tactics and overall approach to games are piss poor, but for me his waste of what limited funds we had on numerous instantly forgettable 'no better than we had' players is why he should go for me.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:37 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Changing the manager is rather fatuously small beans compared to changing the entire ownership model.

We've no idea what we are heading into. With the right ownership Lennon may be fine. With the wrong ownership we'd struggle with Guardiola.
It is fine to hang on if ownership is imminently about to change.

Frankly I believe Nixon over the Bolton News. And his take is that nobody in talks has the money to back up their intentions and nothing is close.

We have to deal with whatever reality we are in, if a takeover is close then hang fire. But if we're talking months and beyond we have to try and stay in this division if at all possible.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:48 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:We have to deal with whatever reality we are in, if a takeover is close then hang fire. But if we're talking months and beyond we have to try and stay in this division if at all possible.
If a takeover isn't close, then we can't afford to pay up Lennon's three-year contract.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:20 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:We have to deal with whatever reality we are in, if a takeover is close then hang fire. But if we're talking months and beyond we have to try and stay in this division if at all possible.
If a takeover isn't close, then we can't afford to pay up Lennon's three-year contract.
We are paying him either way....

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:36 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
You appear to be suggesting that the new guy'll be working for free. So everything's ok then.
Businesswoman of the year.

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:46 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:What I find odd .... and not easily forgiven ... is that we lack fight, team spirit. All sorts can be explained away but not a lack of spirit. Backs to the wall & you find out who's who. We appear to be finding not a great deal.
I really thought Lennon would be a good manager but I've been saying for months now - the team is made up of mard arse, soft as shit, bottle less shit bags, mentally weak as piss - but individually as players they neither have pride in either themselves or the club who pay their wages.

I'll say for the umpteenth time - Lennon has been allowed to sign plenty of players but he has failed to address the glaring issue - which is leadership on the pitch - he has spunked / wasted what little money we had on players just to add numbers to the squad, players who 'add nothing' instead of getting in a couple of tough tackling, hard nasty bastard players who will run through a brick wall and who hate losing, players the other players would respect - instead we have a bone idle, ambling captain 'Pratley' who is so 'laid back', 'can't be arsed' and lacking in leadership qualities its criminal - he should be a vicar not captain of a football team.

Lennon's signings have been absolutely appalling - he's assembled a squad of tarts who are more suited to 'strictly come dancing' than professional football - I think his tactics and overall approach to games are piss poor, but for me his waste of what limited funds we had on numerous instantly forgettable 'no better than we had' players is why he should go for me.
+1 nail on head! :hang:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:50 pm

Where we're at, we can't afford someone who can't work with what they have...I can't be doing with Emporer's New Clothes..fecking useless.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:29 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
You appear to be suggesting that the new guy'll be working for free. So everything's ok then.
I was assuming Jimmy was on the payroll already.

I just think things are so desperate we need to try something, anything, but I admit what we can do is severely limited,

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:56 pm

Any views from those who were there today?

Eddie & Phil might want to dine out on 'what they achieved' but they've left a hell of a legacy. The whole club appears to be resigned to relegation :hang:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:02 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
I was assuming Jimmy was on the payroll already.

I just think things are so desperate we need to try something, anything, but I admit what we can do is severely limited,
So you're playing the anyone but Coyle card again then.

Brilliant.
Businesswoman of the year.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:11 am

We were the better team for the first 20 and the last 20 minutes.

In between we were too compact in the park. No passes beyond 10 metres apart from the odd long punt up to Ameobi who wasn't interested/ hasn't the pace.

Me and Little Miss GtE did meet up with the Bish though at half time which was nice.

And BY FECK was it cold!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:16 am

^^

Well firstly if we'd sacked Coyle when we should have we might not be in this mess.

But secondly it isn't the same. We have 1 win in 20 odd and relegation or close to form stretching right back to probably end of January last season.

It is hard to see it changing. There is little we can do to change it. I was just considering an option of just changing manager in the interim and seeing if they could have a positive effect. Phillips is probably all we could afford if that.

Lennon said today he may not have a job if a takeover is completed. So I couldn't exactly blame him for being down right now. But boy do we need lifting as a club from somewhere. And I don't see it happening as things are. Do you?

Martin_Cruise
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Martin_Cruise » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:29 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:^^

Well firstly if we'd sacked Coyle when we should have we might not be in this mess.

But secondly it isn't the same. We have 1 win in 20 odd and relegation or close to form stretching right back to probably end of January last season.

It is hard to see it changing. There is little we can do to change it. I was just considering an option of just changing manager in the interim and seeing if they could have a positive effect. Phillips is probably all we could afford if that.

Lennon said today he may not have a job if a takeover is completed. So I couldn't exactly blame him for being down right now. But boy do we need lifting as a club from somewhere. And I don't see it happening as things are. Do you?
I take it you mean in the Autumn of the season we were relegated?

With hindsight it would have been a tough gig for any manager with a substandard midfield, a horrible injury list and an owner determined to sell Cahill in the January window

midlands exile
Promising
Promising

Post by midlands exile » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:59 am

Martin_Cruise wrote:

With hindsight it would have been a tough gig for any manager with a substandard midfield, a horrible injury list and an owner determined to sell Cahill in the January window
To be honest, if we had sacked him with the last few matches to go, we should have got something out of the QPR and Stoke matches and stayed up. Never mind his penchant for subbing off Muamba for attacking players and thus turning draws into losses. I will never forgive Coyle for throwing away all the previous decade's progress just because he was too stubborn to think tactically.

Martin_Cruise
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Martin_Cruise » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:32 am

midlands exile wrote:
Martin_Cruise wrote:

To be honest, if we had sacked him with the last few matches to go, we should have got something out of the QPR and Stoke matches and stayed up. Never mind his penchant for subbing off Muamba for attacking players and thus turning draws into losses. I will never forgive Coyle for throwing away all the previous decade's progress just because he was too stubborn to think tactically.
Certainly after selling Cahill i thought we had one of the 3 worst squads in the league and were relegated mainly due to poor player quality than anything else.
The worst teams to stay up that season would have been the likes of Wigan, QPR and Villa. I thought all those teams on paper had better players than us.
At thevery end it was either us or QPR for the drop.In the January window we sold our best player and QPR spent £15 - £20 million on better quality players than we could afford.