Royals, my arse! - Reading (A) 21/11/15

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

midlands exile
Promising
Promising

Re: Royals, my arse! - Reading (A) 21/11/15

Post by midlands exile » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:41 am

Martin_Cruise wrote:
midlands exile wrote:
Martin_Cruise wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:^^

Well firstly if we'd sacked Coyle when we should have we might not be in this mess.

But secondly it isn't the same. We have 1 win in 20 odd and relegation or close to form stretching right back to probably end of January last season.

It is hard to see it changing. There is little we can do to change it. I was just considering an option of just changing manager in the interim and seeing if they could have a positive effect. Phillips is probably all we could afford if that.

Lennon said today he may not have a job if a takeover is completed. So I couldn't exactly blame him for being down right now. But boy do we need lifting as a club from somewhere. And I don't see it happening as things are. Do you?
I take it you mean in the Autumn of the season we were relegated?

With hindsight it would have been a tough gig for any manager with a substandard midfield, a horrible injury list and an owner determined to sell Cahill in the January window
To be honest, if we had sacked him with the last few matches to go, we should have got something out of the QPR and Stoke matches and stayed up. Never mind his penchant for subbing off Muamba for attacking players and thus turning draws into losses. I will never forgive Coyle for throwing away all the previous decade's progress just because he was too stubborn to think tactically.
Certainly after selling Cahill i thought we had one of the 3 worst squads in the league and were relegated mainly due to poor player quality than anything else.
The worst teams to stay up that season would have been the likes of Wigan, QPR and Villa. I thought all those teams on paper had better players than us.
At thevery end it was either us or QPR for the drop.In the January window we sold our best player and QPR spent £15 - £20 million on better quality players than we could afford.
Give over. We were throwing points away left, right and centre, and virtually everyone in the crowd knew why. Coyle's preference for show ponies over workhorses, e.g. subbing on Eagles for Muamba in the Boxing Day horror show v Newcastle. And sorry, got my matches mixed up in my previous post, I meant WBA rather than QPR in the dying matches of the relegation season.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:22 am

Whats the name of the schister we replaced mjalby with? Biggest cost cuttting excercise since normid. Fckuin cnut.

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:12 am

Lennie came into a mess and now its much much worse. When we play poorly we get beaten, when we play quite well we still get beaten.
The wage bill obviously had to be cut substantially but the recruitment of players on championship wages ought to have brought in players who were competitive at championship level.
Recruitment is a key issue and you hope that when a new manager comes in there will be players he knows that he can recruit that will improve the team (just as Bruce Rioch did all those years ago). That has not been the case under any of our recent managers and supporters have often been left wondering why some players were brought in at all.
Is our present squad capable of getting us out of the bottom three? Maybe, but leadership is needed and a settled team. I believe that players don't know whether they are playing until one hour before the game. Could this be one of the tactics that is backfiring?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:24 am

^ I don't see how our present squad can get out of trouble. A team either needs a goalscorer or several players who can contribute to the overall goals total. I think we have neither. We need a couple of players who can both score goals. We ain't got the money and if we did, I'd doubt Lennons ability to spot this kind of player.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:27 am

Gudnib wrote:Lennie came into a mess and now its much much worse. When we play poorly we get beaten, when we play quite well we still get beaten.
The wage bill obviously had to be cut substantially but the recruitment of players on championship wages ought to have brought in players who were competitive at championship level.
Recruitment is a key issue and you hope that when a new manager comes in there will be players he knows that he can recruit that will improve the team (just as Bruce Rioch did all those years ago). That has not been the case under any of our recent managers and supporters have often been left wondering why some players were brought in at all.
Is our present squad capable of getting us out of the bottom three? Maybe, but leadership is needed and a settled team. I believe that players don't know whether they are playing until one hour before the game. Could this be one of the tactics that is backfiring?
This is the thing. The cost cutting was always likely to rule us out of playoff contention, but it's not enough to excuse the present shambles.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:30 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:^ I don't see how our present squad can get out of trouble. A team either needs a goalscorer or several players who can contribute to the overall goals total. I think we have neither. We need a couple of players who can both score goals. We ain't got the money and if we did, I'd doubt Lennons ability to spot this kind of player.
Yes we are fooked now but I think there was enough money there to do better than what we have signed. I'd be really interested to see where our wage bill ranks at this moment in time.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:35 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:^ I don't see how our present squad can get out of trouble. A team either needs a goalscorer or several players who can contribute to the overall goals total. I think we have neither. We need a couple of players who can both score goals. We ain't got the money and if we did, I'd doubt Lennons ability to spot this kind of player.
I said this in the summer that all round we lacked goals in the squad. Was fairly obvious. Instead we signed a plethora of full backs. What money Lennon has had, has been used pretty terribly.

But even beyond that a player who could grab a few goals in Pratley isn't being used right and looks demotivated and lacking in confidence. We must get the best out of what we have, and aren't doing so.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:08 pm

It's laughable how easy it is to score against us. :roll:

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:11 pm

Aside from not scoring goals, Prince is an absolute fecking liability. The odd spectacular tackle does not make up for the clumsy careless bullshit that is costing us goals. He needs to drop to the reserves until he learns some self discipline.

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:29 pm

Can't see any discipline anywhere in the team much, we're a shambles. I know we weren't up to much in the 1st part of the season, but we looked a little bit like a team, now we look weak, very weak....maybe it's lack of confidence but we deserve to be bottom of the pile of average championship teams

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:35 pm

twilight wrote:Can't see any discipline anywhere in the team much, we're a shambles. I know we weren't up to much in the 1st part of the season, but we looked a little bit like a team, now we look weak, very weak....maybe it's lack of confidence but we deserve to be bottom of the pile of average championship teams
No doubt we deserve it. Lennon can say we played well yesterday but those goals we gave away desrved to lose us the game. Watch Mark Davies' reaction to losing the ball he just lets the guy go, pathetic.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:02 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
twilight wrote:Can't see any discipline anywhere in the team much, we're a shambles. I know we weren't up to much in the 1st part of the season, but we looked a little bit like a team, now we look weak, very weak....maybe it's lack of confidence but we deserve to be bottom of the pile of average championship teams
No doubt we deserve it. Lennon can say we played well yesterday but those goals we gave away desrved to lose us the game. Watch Mark Davies' reaction to losing the ball he just lets the guy go, pathetic.
It's not just the reaction. He should KNOW we're too shit to play it through the middle. Why didn't he play it down the left? You even see Spearing gesture that way...

It's a fecking shambles, everywhere. Aint no way Madine was scoring that header Ameobi hit the bar with either. Just Because.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:18 pm

Gudnib wrote:I believe that players don't know whether they are playing until one hour before the game.
Out of interest, is this belief based on some insider knowledge, or just a bit of internet bollocks?

Just asking like.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:39 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:Any views from those who were there today?

Eddie & Phil might want to dine out on 'what they achieved' but they've left a hell of a legacy. The whole club appears to be resigned to relegation :hang:

hmmmm....

FECKING cold at 80MPH along the M4 on a m/bike - wind chill factor of about -300degrees!

returned to bike after game - hoping to get straight off and out of the traffic - battery dead.. wait for green flag (1hr) to come and give me a jump-start as I could find no fecker kind enough to give me a jump-start in the retail park - I always carry jump-leads! - then even more fecking freezing all the way back down the M4 and M5 in the dark wondering if it would start again after I had to stop for petrol!

anyway - cracking day out!

bumped into Dan briefly - and caught up with GtE and the charming Miss GtE...

the game...

I actually do think we deserved to lose - sorry throwaway! - 'tis a game of opionions! :D

another pull of the RB slot machine lever - up pops young Vela... he's not a right back - I think Lenny is now damaging his career... he's going backwards.

we start off brightly for about ten mins - bring a decent save out of AlHabsi - then Prince gifts them a goal with a ZatKnightesque defending blunder - heads drop - fight and spirit gone.

LENNY IS NOT GETTING ANYWHERE NEAR THE MAXIMUM POSSIBLE OUT OF THIS SQUAD OF PLAYERS. whatever else his job is - and whatever else is going on - I expected him to do that - it was always going to be the heart of the job - he hasn't done - he isn't doing it - they look like they simply don't know what they are being asked to do or how they are being asked to play. Either Lenny can't - he's out of his depth - or he just can't be arsed anymore - either way - he has a teflon coat - there was NO unrest or anti-lenny chanting at all - he's living a charmed life.

shape - who knows... beyond the words "narrow" and "cramped" it was hard to know what on earth the idea was.. feeney and danns were supposed to providse width, I guess - the rest all huddled together in the middle and tripped over each other.

ameobi drifted about looking lost apsrt from one really nice through-ball early on which led to a shot well saved by AlHabsi

Mavis - a real dent to his cult-status yesterday... lightweight, error-strewn - calamitously gave the ball away for their second goal... no obvious captain/leadership skills

our penalty? it was soft... there was a better shout 5mins later! al habsi was furious with himself for not saving it - he got a hand to it.

wheater did OK - assured - no nonsense! :-)

madine - goal machine????? I think not
Heskey?

Lenny is not someone I'd give cash to to buy a striker.

reading were not that good - they had no real pace or penetration - they weren't that threatening - yet we gifted them 2 goals before 30mins was up... it was just too easy - they hardly had to break sweat.

we looked OK for the first 10 mins - I was encouraged - then it was gone. the last 10mins we upped the pace - we huffed and puffed a bit - but apart from the soft penalty and ameobi hitting the bar from 3yds out when he should have buried it - al habsi could have got his picnic set out, spread a blanket on the floor and eaten sandwiches all day....

if lenny says we played well - he's talking utter shoite.
Last edited by thebish on Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:40 pm

Enoch wrote:
Gudnib wrote:I believe that players don't know whether they are playing until one hour before the game.
Out of interest, is this belief based on some insider knowledge, or just a bit of internet bollocks?

Just asking like.
pah - we were unhappy when Freedman picked the teamsheet 3months ahead - now we're moaning that it's left a bit later! :D

norm the jedi
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by norm the jedi » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:20 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
I said this in the summer that all round we lacked goals in the squad. Was fairly obvious. Instead we signed a plethora of full backs. What money Lennon has had, has been used pretty terribly.

When did we buy Madine?
Are we in League 2 yet - Three seasons and we'll be away to Chesham

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:39 pm

Enoch wrote:

Just asking like.
I wouldn't use the term 'insider knowledge' but its not speculative. That is what has been happening. I think the idea is that it keeps all the squad on their toes but I do wonder if it is counter productive.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:55 pm

Gudnib wrote:
Enoch wrote:

Just asking like.
I wouldn't use the term 'insider knowledge' but its not speculative. That is what has been happening. I think the idea is that it keeps all the squad on their toes but I do wonder if it is counter productive.
I wouldn't use the term 'general knowledge', so I would guess it must come from 'inside'?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:04 pm

thebish wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:Any views from those who were there today?

Eddie & Phil might want to dine out on 'what they achieved' but they've left a hell of a legacy. The whole club appears to be resigned to relegation :hang:

hmmmm....

FECKING cold at 80MPH along the M4 on a m/bike - wind chill factor of about -300degrees!

returned to bike after game - hoping to get straight off and out of the traffic - battery dead.. wait for green flag (1hr) to come and give me a jump-start as I could find no fecker kind enough to give me a jump-start in the retail park - I always carry jump-leads! - then even more fecking freezing all the way back down the M4 and M5 in the dark wondering if it would start again after I had to stop for petrol!

anyway - cracking day out!

bumped into Dan briefly - and caught up with GtE and the charming Miss GtE...

the game...

I actually do think we deserved to lose - sorry throwaway! - 'tis a game of opionions! :D

another pull of the RB slot machine lever - up pops young Vela... he's not a right back - I think Lenny is now damaging his career... he's going backwards.

we start off brightly for about ten mins - bring a decent save out of AlHabsi - then Prince gifts them a goal with a ZatKnightesque defending blunder - heads drop - fight and spirit gone.

LENNY IS NOT GETTING ANYWHERE NEAR THE MAXIMUM POSSIBLE OUT OF THIS SQUAD OF PLAYERS. whatever else his job is - and whatever else is going on - I expected him to do that - it was always going to be the heart of the job - he hasn't done - he isn't doing it - they look like they simply don't know what they are being asked to do or how they are being asked to play. Either Lenny can't - he's out of his depth - or he just can't be arsed anymore - either way - he has a teflon coat - there was NO unrest or anti-lenny chanting at all - he's living a charmed life.

shape - who knows... beyond the words "narrow" and "cramped" it was hard to know what on earth the idea was.. feeney and danns were supposed to providse width, I guess - the rest all huddled together in the middle and tripped over each other.

ameobi drifted about looking lost apsrt from one really nice through-ball early on which led to a shot well saved by AlHabsi

Mavis - a real dent to his cult-status yesterday... lightweight, error-strewn - calamitously gave the ball away for their second goal... no obvious captain/leadership skills

our penalty? it was soft... there was a better shout 5mins later! al habsi was furious with himself for not saving it - he got a hand to it.

wheater did OK - assured - no nonsense! :-)

madine - goal machine????? I think not
Heskey?

Lenny is not someone I'd give cash to to buy a striker.

reading were not that good - they had no real pace or penetration - they weren't that threatening - yet we gifted them 2 goals before 30mins was up... it was just too easy - they hardly had to break sweat.

we looked OK for the first 10 mins - I was encouraged - then it was gone. the last 10mins we upped the pace - we huffed and puffed a bit - but apart from the soft penalty and ameobi hitting the bar from 3yds out when he should have buried it - al habsi could have got his picnic set out, spread a blanket on the floor and eaten sandwiches all day....

if lenny says we played well - he's talking utter shoite.
Get a new battery or you are in for some grief this winter, I use an optimate battery conditioner as well, works a treat.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/batterybayuk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcy ... prod/78250" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:08 pm

I have a battery conditioner! the battery is fine - it was just fecking cold!! (she's an old girl! they're temperamental!)

I thought you didn't go out in the winter??