Bolton vs Rotherham 72/73

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Re: Bolton vs Rotherham 72/73

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:12 pm

I didn't dislike the guy and remember him fondly for that fantastic season and some great football. I just thought when we were up against it he was lacking. As for the Chelsea game DSB, he may well have been animated for much of the game, I just have this one memory of him sitting there towards the end looking defeated, body language was terrible. And of course the players crumbled when it really mattered after doing so well in the run-in.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:25 pm

LeverEnd wrote:I didn't dislike the guy and remember him fondly for that fantastic season and some great football. I just thought when we were up against it he was lacking. As for the Chelsea game DSB, he may well have been animated for much of the game, I just have this one memory of him sitting there towards the end looking defeated, body language was terrible. And of course the players crumbled when it really mattered after doing so well in the run-in.
Todd was a bottler. He created teams that were soft and lacked backbone.

He had some great players in that championship season and it was a superb time but when it came to the crunch he couldn't ever really deliver.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:38 pm

Apart from when he won the Championship?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:14 pm

Jugs wrote:Apart from when he won the Championship?
We had an outstanding side. Funnily enough we bottled the last game.

Allardyce came and showed the difference a real quality manager could make.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:59 pm

I seriously cannot believe you're nitpicking/finding holes in Todd's title-winning season. We're in dire straits at the moment, the lowest we've been for a long time, and you're saying Todd bottled it in the last season we won a league.

The problem with a few people atm is that they're constantly referring back to Big Sam and letting him cast a shadow over everyone else.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:06 pm

Jugs wrote:I seriously cannot believe you're nitpicking/finding holes in Todd's title-winning season. We're in dire straits at the moment, the lowest we've been for a long time, and you're saying Todd bottled it in the last season we won a league.

The problem with a few people atm is that they're constantly referring back to Big Sam and letting him cast a shadow over everyone else.

:oyea:
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:18 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:I didn't dislike the guy and remember him fondly for that fantastic season and some great football. I just thought when we were up against it he was lacking. As for the Chelsea game DSB, he may well have been animated for much of the game, I just have this one memory of him sitting there towards the end looking defeated, body language was terrible. And of course the players crumbled when it really mattered after doing so well in the run-in.

He had some great players in that championship season and it was a superb time but when it came to the crunch he couldn't ever really deliver.
:shock: . You're never short of a strong or occasional controversial opinion Insane & usually argue your case well, but that's absolute bo**ocks that remark. That team was not only our best ever 2nd division team, it was one of the greatest division 2 sides ever.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:45 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

:shock: . You're never short of a strong or occasional controversial opinion Insane & usually argue your case well, but that's absolute bo**ocks that remark. That team was not only our best ever 2nd division team, it was one of the greatest division 2 sides ever.
Nobody doubts it. But it was a side full of great players for that level. The test came the season after when we should have stayed up. We didn't because Todd like Coyle had little clue if we weren't able to pass sides off the park all the time.

Then there was Watford...

It was a fantastic season. But his management overall wasn't very good. And left the club in a very perilous position. He was though an exceptionally nice and well meaning bloke. But just not the sort we needed to convert into a more regular top flight side.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:44 pm

A guy wins a league title playing some of the best attacking football we've seen for years, gets 40+ goals out of his strikers, but his overall management wasn't very good and the best you can say is he was well meaning and nice. Give me strength.

Bolton fans really were spoiled under Allardyce.

God knows what you must really think of Lennon then.

And if you recall, we would have stayed up under Todd had our goal against Everton not been ruled out.

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:51 am

Jugs wrote:A guy wins a league title playing some of the best attacking football we've seen for years, gets 40+ goals out of his strikers, but his overall management wasn't very good and the best you can say is he was well meaning and nice. Give me strength.

And if you recall, we would have stayed up under Todd had our goal against Everton not been ruled out.
I might be talking b*llocks but didn't we get relegated with the highest points total ever or something along those lines?
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:42 am

Jugs wrote:A guy wins a league title playing some of the best attacking football we've seen for years, gets 40+ goals out of his strikers, but his overall management wasn't very good and the best you can say is he was well meaning and nice. Give me strength.

He left the club in a dire state. Near the bottom of the championship selling off assets to stay afloat. He'd spent a lot of money for a club like us at the time and the results spoke for themselves.

Yes his first full season in charge was great but beyond that he nearly broke the club.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:31 am

He also brought in a number of quality young players for bargain prices that we sold at big profits. Jensen, Frandsen, Eidur, Arnaur, even Nathan Blake.

But there's no arguing here. You're clearly settled in your mind. It seems that if a manager can't match the phenomenal heights of Big Sam, he won't be good enough. But we have to remember that Allardyce was exceptional.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:57 am

Jugs wrote:He also brought in a number of quality young players for bargain prices that we sold at big profits. Jensen, Frandsen, Eidur, Arnaur, even Nathan Blake.

But there's no arguing here. You're clearly settled in your mind. It seems that if a manager can't match the phenomenal heights of Big Sam, he won't be good enough. But we have to remember that Allardyce was exceptional.
Oh I agree, Todd as a talent spotter was second to none. That wasn't his problem. It was organising a team to get results when organisation and discipline were required.

And I also agree about Allardyce. I don't set the bar there because as you say he was exceptional. But Todd had a very decent group of players here and apart from the first full season which was as I say fantastic, things went downhill despite for the time a lot of investment.

But Allardyce achieved more with relatively lower resources (for a while).

Todd and Rioch were magical but I think without Bruce and his discipline and organisation, Colin often struggled when we weren't the best team on the field.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:13 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:

You tell that bullying Wolves side that Todd's teams were soft lacked backbone you fvckin tool
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:17 am

He wasn't boring enough to satisfy BWFCI's completely unromantic footballing appetite.

This is a guy who rated Dougie Freedman FFS
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:44 am

boltonboris wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

You tell that bullying Wolves side that Todd's teams were soft lacked backbone you fvckin tool
Perhaps have a word with Graham Taylor after that play-off final eh?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:34 am

boltonboris wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Or maybe mention it to his son....if you dare... *halo*
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?