The Charlton thread. - Charlton (A) 15/12/15

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Re: The Charlton thread. - Charlton (A) 15/12/15

Post by Peter Thompson » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:04 am

LeverEnd wrote:But still they keep being named by lots of our fans, probably because they are always there in the team. I've seen quite a few games this season and I'm confident that we'd have even fewer points without those 2. I also think they'll be useful in League 1 and we should keep them if the likely relegation happens.

It's not just effort, they have an athleticism and a capacity for work and ground covered that others can't match and that Lennon sees as key to how he wants us to play. Unfortunately the team as a whole isn't good enough to take advantage of the platform that workrate provides. I'd have Spearing in every week personally, but I'm not blaming Danns for his absence.
You've answered your own question in a way - this is the reason why the team are so shit & bottom of the league with 1 win in the last 26 games with no sign of another any time soon.

We have a team with several players of League 1 standard at best playing in the championship....Feeney, Danns, Pratley, Madine, Vela, Dobbie etc....plus over the hill / way past it strikers who just shouldn't be playing professional football full stop i.e. Heskey, Ameobi

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:11 am

Madine: ill, Ameobi: injured, Clough: not quite fit.
Heskey and Dobbin, the wonder carthorses, for ninety minutes? I think not.
Hmmmm? Time for Woolery, Eaves or Thomas methinks. They can't do much damage (apart from to themselves, of course).
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:00 am

Peter Thompson wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:But still they keep being named by lots of our fans, probably because they are always there in the team. I've seen quite a few games this season and I'm confident that we'd have even fewer points without those 2. I also think they'll be useful in League 1 and we should keep them if the likely relegation happens.

It's not just effort, they have an athleticism and a capacity for work and ground covered that others can't match and that Lennon sees as key to how he wants us to play. Unfortunately the team as a whole isn't good enough to take advantage of the platform that workrate provides. I'd have Spearing in every week personally, but I'm not blaming Danns for his absence.
You've answered your own question in a way - this is the reason why the team are so sh!t & bottom of the league with 1 win in the last 26 games with no sign of another any time soon.

We have a team with several players of League 1 standard at best playing in the championship....Feeney, Danns, Pratley, Madine, Vela, Dobbie etc....plus over the hill / way past it strikers who just shouldn't be playing professional football full stop i.e. Heskey, Ameobi
Yes you are right about that. I just hear those two being singled out all the time around me and think they are over-criticised. I think they are League 1 stabdard as you say but crucially at playing at or near to their max. If more had done the same in the last few years we'd not be in this mess.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:07 am

These league one standard players were the ones who were playing when we had a very good run when Lennon first came in.

They are the same players people said were underperforming under the last manager.

Truth is that Feeney and Danns aren't world beaters but more than good enough to be part of a team that stays in this league.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:33 am

We'll win at Charlton :D

May the bridges I burn light your way

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:48 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:These league one standard players were the ones who were playing when we had a very good run when Lennon first came in.

They are the same players people said were underperforming under the last manager.
It's there for all to see Insano, the players clearly do have it in them.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Re: Not the Charlton thread.

Post by General Mannerheim » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:54 am

General Mannerheim wrote:my last away game was Charlton, remember us absolutely battering them but ultimately losing 2-1. Lennons first defeat in charge iirc, and the start of the rot.

we still had the likes of Chungy, Mills & Beckford and the manger who gave a shit. what a difference a year makes.

its gonna take new owners, and maybe a result at Hull for me to brave the Antigallican bogs again!
think ill give it a miss...

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Re: Not the Charlton thread.

Post by Enoch » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:59 am

General Mannerheim wrote:its gonna take new owners, and maybe a result at Hull for me to brave the Antigallican bogs again!
General Mannerheim wrote:think ill give it a miss...
I hear the bogs are much improved.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:13 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:These league one standard players were the ones who were playing when we had a very good run when Lennon first came in.

Truth is that Feeney and Danns aren't world beaters but more than good enough to be part of a team that stays in this league.
Not quite - I could be wrong but I'm sure that we had CYL for a few of Lennon's early games, as well as C Davies, Bannan & then Le Fondre etc....all far better than anything we currently have.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:26 am

Peter Thompson wrote:

Not quite - I could be wrong but I'm sure that we had CYL for a few of Lennon's early games, as well as C Davies, Bannan & then Le Fondre etc....all far better than anything we currently have.
Danns, Pratley and Feeney all featured heavily. Pratley was indeed the star man at the time.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:28 am

It was once said (when Pratley was injured) that his return would provide the missing piece of the jigsaw that Lennon was assembling...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:45 am

I think that Lenny's body language is telling us everything. Previously one of the game's most animated touchline characters, he acts like he can't be arsed with it now - and that has to rub off on the players.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:23 pm

for those meeting around london bridge, what bar are we meeting in?
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:35 pm

I'm suggesting the Market Porter, Borough Market.

Cracking boozer.

Dartisan
Promising
Promising

Post by Dartisan » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:23 pm

Me and LegsEleven, or whatever he's called these days, will be there (presuming it's tickets on the door. It always has been previous). I think we'll be meeting a Charlton mate near the ground beforehand though so will see you in the stands (at this rate TW folk'll be half the away crowd).

They're not very good at scoring either... or at preventing goals either...so there's hope.... of a 0-0 bore draw
Last edited by Dartisan on Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything but the game: Because it's not just a game, it's a way of life.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:24 pm

For those going - you can pay on the gate.

Dartisan
Promising
Promising

Post by Dartisan » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:25 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:For those going - you can pay on the gate.
Confirmed? Excellent, cheers Bruce.
Everything but the game: Because it's not just a game, it's a way of life.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:27 pm

Their forum pundit (some bloke with a flat cap) is predicting they'll win 2-0... cheeky fxcker.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:31 pm

Enoch wrote:I'm suggesting the Market Porter, Borough Market.

Cracking boozer.
Sounds good to me. What time?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:31 pm

Dartisan wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:For those going - you can pay on the gate.
Confirmed? Excellent, cheers Bruce.
You're welcome, Fella. Yes, it's now on the club site.