Paul Warhurst

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Kevin_Yahoo
Hopeful
Hopeful

Paul Warhurst

Post by Kevin_Yahoo » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:02 pm

Hello - I'm writing an article about Paul Warhurst similar to one I did on Per Frandsen with your help a couple of months back https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/blast- ... 40790.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Share your memories of the defender/midfielder/striker here!

Many thanks

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Paul Warhurst

Post by Jugs » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:19 pm

Great article about Per.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:40 pm

Warhurst came on loan first - IIRC, at the same time as Jon Newsome, and the two loanees really strengthened the team. Think Colin Todd wanted both, but we could only afford one and plumped for Warhorse. Within a year Newsome had retired injured, and we'd had that financial implosion I mentioned in the Per notes, leading to the exit of Frandsen, Todd and chairman Hargreaves. Became one of Allardyce's early lieutenants on the field, the sort of grizzled Northerner you want on the second-tier battleground (see also Ian Marshall, whom Allardyce signed in 2000).

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:44 pm

I remember him, but I have no particular memories of him (unlike SKD or Per or Klasnic or etc etc). I don't know if that says a lot or not really.
He was that ugly fxcker in midfield, wasn't he? I don't recall he was a defender cum striker :?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:02 pm

Good article! Although a decent prem side did sign him..Us

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:04 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:I remember him, but I have no particular memories of him (unlike SKD or Per or Klasnic or etc etc). I don't know if that says a lot or not really.
He was that ugly fxcker in midfield, wasn't he? I don't recall he was a defender cum striker :?
That about sums it up for me too. I remember him being there, and I remember him having broad shoulders and a rather idiosyncratic gait, but not much else. I don't remember complaining much about him so he was probably half-decent.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:04 pm

Journeyman.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:06 pm

jonnycooper wrote:Good article! Although a decent prem side did sign him..Us
We never signed him when we were in the Prem, though. Bought him both times in the first division and for the 3 seasons he spent in the Prem with us we battled relegation, tumbling out of the division once. So we weren't really much of a decent Prem side while he was here. That came later.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:09 pm

I get the impression this discussion may be getting confused between Warhurst and Frandsen.

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:12 pm

Ah yes.Paul Warhurst,signed towards the end of his career,but still a good player for us.Think the move north also helped with his demons!

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:20 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I get the impression this discussion may be getting confused between Warhurst and Frandsen.
We can multi-task DSB, worry not...
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:50 pm

Aye, go on I'm up for a bit of multitasking.

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:00 pm

Less shit than Gareth Farrelly.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:17 pm

I think Warhurst is being a little undervalued here.

Initially a defender, then a goalscoring centre-forward, for Wednesday, he was bought by Moneybags Blackburn and played in midfield. And it was in midfield that he made his mark for Bolton, the club for whom he played the most (110 appearances in all comps). For Warhurst was the defensive midfielder in the 4-3-3 (or 4-1-2-2-1, to be picky) that Allardyce adopted in the second tier but took to the top eight. Before Campo and Hierro excelled in that role, Sam's tactical linchpin was Warhurst – and although injury-ravaged, he always gave it his best.

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:26 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I think Warhurst is being a little undervalued here.

Initially a defender, then a goalscoring centre-forward, for Wednesday, he was bought by Moneybags Blackburn and played in midfield. And it was in midfield that he made his mark for Bolton, the club for whom he played the most (110 appearances in all comps). For Warhurst was the defensive midfielder in the 4-3-3 (or 4-1-2-2-1, to be picky) that Allardyce adopted in the second tier but took to the top eight. Before Campo and Hierro excelled in that role, Sam's tactical linchpin was Warhurst – and although injury-ravaged, he always gave it his best.
Yeah exactly, less shit that Gareth Farrelly.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:31 pm

Gee, mentioning what we have now after Campo and Hierro, even Paul Warhust (though not as much) is a bit like mentioning Father Jack in the Vatican. Oh for Ivan back in the team.. :(
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:36 pm

I'd kill for the PW who played under Sam to be in our team now. Being known for his versatility after switching from defence to atttack probably did him no favours in terms of fans' perceptions. I remember him as a really good footballer who had a bit of everything except injury resistance.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:37 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I think Warhurst is being a little undervalued here.

If everyone's like Spotty and I, we just don't remember him very well.

If you want to use a quote from me Kevin, how about "vaguely remember him but might be getting him confused with someone else."

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:00 pm

Heh, looking up Warhurst and Allardyce I found this what I wrote nearly 14 years ago...

http://www.wsc.co.uk/the-archive/30-Clu ... remier-men" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:26 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Heh, looking up Warhurst and Allardyce I found this what I wrote nearly 14 years ago...

http://www.wsc.co.uk/the-archive/30-Clu ... remier-men" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ha!
I remember more 'incidents' surrounding Nishizawa and Diawarra than I do Warhurst tbh. But now that I've read that I do recall he was pretty injury prone. In fact I now remember an argument I had at a wedding about who you thought of when you thought of injury laden footballers (it came about because of a reference in the best man's speech) and I'm fairly sure I was using Warhurst as a trump against that Robson? fella who played for England.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください