Paul Warhurst

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Re: Paul Warhurst

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:50 pm

Good, good player.

However, when he played we used to have a little gamble between us about when he'd get injured. Divisor was a first half bet, often between 20-30 minutes.

His temper tantrum getting sent off v Leicester in the Boxing Day game was classic. I believe he actually tried to kill Robbie Savage. Regrettably he failed.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

midlands exile
Promising
Promising

Post by midlands exile » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:06 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Heh, looking up Warhurst and Allardyce I found this what I wrote nearly 14 years ago...

http://www.wsc.co.uk/the-archive/30-Clu ... remier-men" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Glory days and happy memories! Just the last paragraph that was a choker, given hindsight all these years later...

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:44 pm

bobo the clown wrote:Good, good player.

However, when he played we used to have a little gamble between us about when he'd get injured. Divisor was a first half bet, often between 20-30 minutes.

His temper tantrum getting sent off v Leicester in the Boxing Day game was classic. I believe he actually tried to kill Robbie Savage. Regrettably he failed.
Not having that. It wasn't a red. Riley had a shocker that day.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:47 pm

I can hear "FEEEEEEEEEESHHHHHHHH" playing in myhead....
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:49 pm

Frandsen was fantastic.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:52 pm

Some very short memories here. Warhurst was fantastic for us. Part and parcel of the side that got promoted and kept us up. Played as a holding midfielder later on under Allardyce, didn't he? Paving the way for Campo, if you will?

Sure as shit I' love him in the side anytime in the last 5 or 6 years to add a bit of backbone.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

midlands exile
Promising
Promising

Post by midlands exile » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:14 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Some very short memories here. Warhurst was fantastic for us. Part and parcel of the side that got promoted and kept us up. Played as a holding midfielder later on under Allardyce, didn't he? Paving the way for Campo, if you will?

Sure as shit I' love him in the side anytime in the last 5 or 6 years to add a bit of backbone.
Agreed.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:19 am

Great player - ultra reliable (when fit). The position of playing a deep midfielder sitting just ahead of the centre backs was invented for him. As such, what people now refer to as being 'The Campo Role' was actually 'The Warhurst Role' long before any bushy-haired Spaniard pitched up. Fond memories. Would kill to have one of his kind back at our place just now.
May the bridges I burn light your way

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:05 am

Jugs wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:Good, good player.

However, when he played we used to have a little gamble between us about when he'd get injured. Advisable was a first half bet, often between 20-30 minutes.

Not having that. It wasn't a red. Riley had a shocker that day.
Hey. It wasn't a criticism of the lad ... except that he didn't succeed maybe.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:14 am

All of the above re that deep lying midfielder role. He was fcuking class one of my fave players from allardyces days.

Riviman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Riviman » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:20 pm

I remember a couple of poor back passes from him that resulted in goals but all in all a player we would love to have in the team at the moment.
I feel reborn !!!! No more confussion

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:27 pm

Riviman wrote:I remember a couple of poor back passes from him that resulted in goals but all in all a player we would love to have in the team at the moment.
I think it rather telling in itself, Riviman, that you remember a couple of bad back passes. These days I can't recall two gooduns!

Kevin_Yahoo
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Kevin_Yahoo » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:59 pm

Thanks for all your contributions guys - here is the published piece on Warhurst https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/blast- ... 33619.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers,
Kevin

chester white
Promising
Promising

Post by chester white » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:32 pm

Nice article Kevin.

Talking about Warhurst made me think back to that Tonight with Trevor McDonald show, where they hooked up Allardyce and Bassett to heart monitors. It was the 2-2 with Leicester where Riley sent off Warhurst and Deano for tackles on Savage. Hard to remember an atmosphere like it and still think it's the record attendance at the Reebok/Macron.

Trawled the Internet for the whole show but best I can find is a 50 second clip on YouTube. Apologies but however hard I try I can't seem to embed it again!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mwxnf0Ac-7s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Sherpa Van Trophy! We've won it one time!

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:37 pm

The record attendance was the following year when they didn't segregate the crowd. It was 2-2 aswell I think.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:48 pm

Warhurst was a brilliant player in his day. Incredibly versatile and did well just about everywhere on the pitch.

If it hadn't been for injuries he'd have been regarded as one of the best the premiership has ever seen IMO.

Obviously we had him towards the end of his career but he was class here in that DM role. He had grit and strength but oozes of class on the ball too. Not as technically gifted perhaps as Campo or Hierro but not far off and with a bit more English steel about him.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:54 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Warhurst was a brilliant player in his day. Incredibly versatile and did well just about everywhere on the pitch.

If it hadn't been for injuries he'd have been regarded as one of the best the premiership has ever seen IMO.

Obviously we had him towards the end of his career but he was class here in that DM role. He had grit and strength but oozes of class on the ball too. Not as technically gifted perhaps as Campo or Hierro but not far off and with a bit more English steel about him.
I think he was after that sort of opinion before he wrote his article :wink:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:46 pm

chester white wrote:Nice article Kevin.

Talking about Warhurst made me think back to that Tonight with Trevor McDonald show, where they hooked up Allardyce and Bassett to heart monitors. It was the 2-2 with Leicester where Riley sent off Warhurst and Deano for tackles on Savage. Hard to remember an atmosphere like it and still think it's the record attendance at the Reebok/Macron.

Trawled the Internet for the whole show but best I can find is a 50 second clip on YouTube. Apologies but however hard I try I can't seem to embed it again!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mwxnf0Ac-7s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You only need the bit after v=
In this case mwxnf0Ac-7s

Kevin_Yahoo
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Kevin_Yahoo » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:07 pm

That's tremendous!

McDonald, Allardyce, Bassett. Rarely can three greater minds have joined forces on a single project.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:36 pm

Great article, Kevin. I take it that none of these shit 'strikers' you keep sending us will be receiving similar articles? ;)