The Burnden Park Disaster - Remembering the 33

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

NiceHotCuppaTea
Promising
Promising

The Burnden Park Disaster - Remembering the 33

Post by NiceHotCuppaTea » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:30 pm

The club's offish youtube channel has put out a short video about the Burnden Disaster, which I thought I'd share here for those who don't visit the youtube site.

Quite moving, especially some of the stories being told from the people being interviewed. Nice to see it being more widely recognised.

The club's also holding a public memorial service tomorrow I believe, anyone attending?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: The Burnden Park Disaster - Remembering the 33

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:37 pm

Tonight at the game, from The Bolton News...:

The club will also pay tribute to the fallen at tonight's home game against Ipswich Town.
Classical singer Joanna Forest will sing Abide With Me before a minute’s silence.
The players will also wear a special kit created to mark the anniversary, with a commemorative programme also on sale.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:54 pm

Went into town this morning and paid my respects at the minute's silence in front of the Town Hall. Mayoress lead a rendition of The Lords Prayer and about a hundred? of us braved the rain. Only lasted a few minutes, but it felt worth it. R.I.P the 33.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:26 pm

Lovely tribute that vid. Was interesting to hear on Look NW the other night that after the disaster the fans were initially blamed. Seems some things never change.

RIP the 33
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:27 pm

Listen just as the hour strikes. That's when somebody up the side of the town hall decided to start tin bashing with a hammer (guaranteed to be a United supporter)....

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/143 ... _Disaster/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:24 pm

A very moving Tribute! R.I.P The thirty three..

NiceHotCuppaTea
Promising
Promising

Post by NiceHotCuppaTea » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:38 pm

Some more video content from our media team:

OrtonCakeBingoBongo
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by OrtonCakeBingoBongo » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:44 pm

Take this opportunity to give a honourable mention to the people who lost their lives in this tragedy. Can't imagine the extent of the trauma families will have suffered. Read there was a minutes silence dedicated to the lives lost at last nights game although there has been no mention of it on our own club sites. Feel I should apologize on their behalf.

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:15 am

Was more than a minutes silence! We had Abide With Me followed by a piano only playing of same, a minutes silence before kick off, a minutes applause on 33 minutes, the relatives at pitch side before kick off, the relatives doing the half time draw, scrolling names on the TV screen and the team wore commemorative shirts. After many years of barely giving it a mention I think we've had lessons off some club up the A580.

NiceHotCuppaTea
Promising
Promising

Post by NiceHotCuppaTea » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:46 pm

For anyone who couldn't attend the service:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:52 pm

Impressive turn out and ceremony from everybody. 70 years is a long time ago, but the families of those that died live on and it's only fitting such an occasion should be marked and remembered. This was for them and well done the club.