Which muppet can we appoint next?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Which muppet can we appoint next?

Post by Dr Hotdog » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:23 am

From the BN:
"The decision to appoint Phillips – who has been in charge of the club’s academy since 2008 – was made with a view to bringing more of the younger players through in the next few weeks."

So we loan out Quade Taylor to Dagenham&Redbridge on the same day! :conf:

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:35 am

He might be a bit homesick like marvellous was? :conf:

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:36 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tombwfc wrote:My issue with Brown is that it'll cost money to get him out of his new contract, and then presumably we'll have to improve said contract in either value or length (or, knowing us, both).

Then he'll have to work with a squad that isn't good enough as it is, eroded further by anybody even close to decent leaving and with no money to replace them. Plus the added weight of expectation that people will think we should at least challenge for the playoffs.

I don't know, Brownie is a good manager, but is he that good that he should be our new manager and star signing? Is he alone better than Phillips/O'Driscoll/Powell/Holloway plus the money we save in not paying compensation and a committing to a big contract?
He'll work with young players plus a few cheap signings. We're entering a different world. Nobody knows how it will pan out,

I will say our best player is a lad who wasn't even considered at the start of the season.
We've been living in that world for some time. And we've seen how it panned out.

It's going to be a very difficult job, which is why I question the logic of betting everything on Phil Brown - a good but not outstanding candidate.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:49 am

Tombwfc wrote:
We've been living in that world for some time. And we've seen how it panned out.

It's going to be a very difficult job, which is why I question the logic of betting everything on Phil Brown - a good but not outstanding candidate.
No we haven't. We've lived in a world where we've handed out 8K a week to Gary Madine, 16K a week to Amos and several similar contracts to the likes of Pisano, Derik and Casado.

In essence we've paid way too much for players that turned out to be not as good in the main as youngsters we already have at the club. Holding is better than any of those defenders we signed in the summer. And far cheaper.

League one, clubs are giving out contracts for players at around an average of £2k per week. It is a world we've been nowhere near.

We've been mismanaged, or actually not managed from top to bottom. Paying way over the odds for poor players. That has to stop now. We're going to be competing on an equal footing with most clubs in the division. So the quality of management from Chairman down is going to be critical. The decisions made will be critical. That is what divides clubs in a league where financially there aren't huge differentials.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:52 am

Dr Hotdog wrote:From the BN:
"The decision to appoint Phillips – who has been in charge of the club’s academy since 2008 – was made with a view to bringing more of the younger players through in the next few weeks."

Know what you mean Dr H but I don't mind that. He needs FL experience, and I imagine he isn't getting past Derik/Holding.

Might have been Jimmy himself who made the decision.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:12 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:

Know what you mean Dr H but I don't mind that. He needs FL experience, and I imagine he isn't getting past Derik/Holding.

Yes indeed - it's also worth noting that he's older than Holding and only one year younger than Derik...

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:27 pm

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/143 ... _the_badge_/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Article regarding Lennon's departure.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:53 pm

Tombwfc wrote: It's going to be a very difficult job, which is why I question the logic of betting everything on Phil Brown - a good but not outstanding candidate.
I'm with you on this. I wouldn't be at all unhappy getting Brown but if we're such a basket case financially as it appears, I don't want us spending cash on paying up the contracts for him and whoever he want's to bring with him. Since all appointments carry a bit of risk, lets go for someone free and cheap
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:01 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tombwfc wrote: It's going to be a very difficult job, which is why I question the logic of betting everything on Phil Brown - a good but not outstanding candidate.
I'm with you on this. I wouldn't be at all unhappy getting Brown but if we're such a basket case financially as it appears, I don't want us spending cash on paying up the contracts for him and whoever he want's to bring with him. Since all appointments carry a bit of risk, lets go for someone free and cheap
It can only get marginally worse than 4 wins all season, I suspect and just 5 in the last 46 league games.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:02 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Aye. But crucial we get the right man. Far more important than any player. And also someone Deano and Anderson can work with.

I'd sacrifice signings to get the "right manager". If they think it is Brown, then fair play.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:09 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote: Absolute bollocks. He worked a bloody miracle at Hull at the time taking them up then keeping them there for a year.

And he's done a great job at Southend with little money. He won't have much money here.

We need experience. Brown has that. I think he's ideal.
You're on fecking drugs. He's an absolute shithouse. I see you've missed his stint at Derby out, and who was it that got Hull relegated, making a fecking spectacle of himself in the process? :roll:

Get Nigel Pearson in. Let's see Bellend Madine call him a cock! :lol:
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:20 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote: Absolute bollocks. He worked a bloody miracle at Hull at the time taking them up then keeping them there for a year.

And he's done a great job at Southend with little money. He won't have much money here.

We need experience. Brown has that. I think he's ideal.
You're on fecking drugs. He's an absolute shithouse. I see you've missed his stint at Derby out, and who was it that got Hull relegated, making a fecking spectacle of himself in the process? :roll:

Get Nigel Pearson in. Let's see Bellend Madine call him a cock! :lol:
Nigel Pearson is hardly a saint, nor I would suggest an example of a manager who doesn't make a spectacle out of himself. Also one who has a bit of a mixed career himself. I seriously doubt he'd consider dropping to league one either, especially where we will be financially tight.

What Brown achieved at Hull was remarkable. He took them from battling relegation in the championship into the premiership. And then kept them up. That was a bigger achievement than Allardyce taking us up. What was Hull's recent history before that?

He was a flop at Derby and Preston. A HUGE success at Southend and Hull. 50% success record isn't bad considering he has achieved it at clubs who weren't fashionable and weren't spending huge money. So analogous to our situation.

Nothing is guaranteed. I get you don't like Brown, but I can see why it makes sense. And his record is certainly not shambolic and far better than plenty of others.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:26 pm

A HUGE success at Southend. :lol:

You talk some absolute shite, man.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:30 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:

He's out if contract. I reckon they've decided to release him.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:31 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:A HUGE success at Southend. :lol:

Promotion from league two and the verge of the play offs in league one the season after. For Southend, is that not a huge success?

I'd definitely class it in that bracket. I suppose though, he hasn't won the champions league with them FFS.....

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:23 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:A HUGE success at Southend. :lol:

Promotion from league two and the verge of the play offs in league one the season after. For Southend, is that not a huge success?

I'd definitely class it in that bracket. I suppose though, he hasn't won the champions league with them FFS.....
Tenth in the table, so mid-table then. Two spots above Rochdale. A soaraway success and no mistake. :lol:

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:29 pm

We're pissing in the bargain bucket. Not gonna do much better than Brownie.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:42 pm

throwawayboltonian wrote:
I'd say that's pretty successful. If after relegation (as is likely) we are promoted back into the Championship, then finish 10th the season the season after you'd classify our hypothetical manager as successful, no? I'm not clamouring for Brown as our manager, but I think trying to dash down his modest success at Southend is rather unfair.
I think Brucie is just telling Insano to put down the hyperbole thesaurus. Brown looks to have done a good job at Southend, but huge success is a couple notches up the hyperbole ladder for me. 1st season up is often easier than the 2nd, or at least that's how I remember it in the Premiership. Lets see how Brown does next year before chucking around the level 4 hyperbole...
Last edited by Abdoulaye's Twin on Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:47 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Tenth in the table, so mid-table then. Two spots above Rochdale. A soaraway success and no mistake. :lol:
I'd say that's pretty successful. If after relegation (as is likely) we are promoted back into the Championship, then finish 10th the season the season after you'd classify our hypothetical manager as successful, no? I'm not clamouring for Brown as our manager, but I think trying to dash down his modest success at Southend is rather unfair.
I think Brucie is just telling Insano to put down the hyperbole thesaurus. Brown looks to have done a good job at Southend, but huge success is a couple notches up the hyperbole ladder for me. 1st season up is often easier than the 2nd, or at least that's how I remember it in the Premiership. Lets see how Brown does next year before chucking around the level 4 hyperbole...
Not to nitpick but that's not my quote :P
Yeah, I spotted it after. see edited :D

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:09 pm

You can't spot the difference between Holding and Wilson either!