Which muppet can we appoint next?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Which muppet can we appoint next?

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:38 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:"Get rid of Lennon, stick Jimmy Phillips in instead. Things can't get any worse."
Might as well get the kids experience this season. They need to get used to winning.

End of the day we were already goosed. Probably have been since December or January in reality.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:46 pm

Panic fannies.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:08 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Might as well get the kids experience this season. They need to get used to winning.
So that's working a treat then! :roll:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:50 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Well, they're seeing how other teams do it, first hand! :-)

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:56 pm

Half these kids are out of contract anyway, so maybe we have no intention of keeping them on and are just making a pile of all the appearance bonuses we're not paying for next season's war chest.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:53 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
What I meant to type was they need to get used to losing! It was meant to be a joke but in my sleep deprived state I must have somehow changed it to winning sub-consciously!

Martin_Cruise
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Martin_Cruise » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:53 am

Given that Deano's consortium don't have the money to buy a club into the 2nd tier let alone the Premier League, the only realistic way of changing the club's fortunes in the short term I can see is to bring Big Sam home.Sunderland would need to be relegated for this to happen.
If Deano can pull that off it would be a greater contribution to the club than his last minute winner against Liverpool.
With no money and a squad of overpaid wasters I think mere mortals such as Phil Brown would struggle to halt the decline until all the lucrative contracts handed out to second rate players have run out.Sam is a great manager who in my opinion would even make a silk purse out of this sow's ear.If the next appointment is anybody other than Sam Allardyce i don't predict a successful time in the 3rd tier next season

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:56 am

Martin_Cruise wrote:Given that Deano's consortium don't have the money to buy a club into the 2nd tier let alone the Premier League, the only realistic way of changing the club's fortunes in the short term I can see is to bring Big Sam home.Sunderland would need to be relegated for this to happen.
If Deano can pull that off it would be a greater contribution to the club than his last minute winner against Liverpool.
With no money and a squad of overpaid wasters I think mere mortals such as Phil Brown would struggle to halt the decline until all the lucrative contracts handed out to second rate players have run out.Sam is a great manager who in my opinion would even make a silk purse out of this sow's ear.If the next appointment is anybody other than Sam Allardyce i don't predict a successful time in the 3rd tier next season
I'll be honest here,
If I was Big Sam I'd retire rather than come back to a shambles like this club is, why risk tarnishing his record or forage in the lower league?
Forgot to add he'd have to view us as a charity case as well, salary wise.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:16 pm

There's more chance of Megson or Freedman coming back than Allardyce. Give your head a shake for even entertaining the notion!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:39 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:There's more chance of Megson or Freedman coming back than Allardyce. Give your head a shake for even entertaining the notion!
As manager aye. But can you not see Sam coming in as a Director of Football or somesuch? I can. Not next season maybe, but if his mates Deano and Anderson stick around and want to pay him....I reckon it is on the cards in the future put it that way.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:02 pm

throwawayboltonian wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:There's more chance of Megson or Freedman coming back than Allardyce. Give your head a shake for even entertaining the notion!
As manager aye. But can you not see Sam coming in as a Director of Football or somesuch? I can. Not next season maybe, but if his mates Deano and Anderson stick around and want to pay him....I reckon it is on the cards in the future put it that way.
Can't see that either: it doesn't pay enough money (or more accurately, we won't pay him enough at this level); he's a manager through and through so I can't see him taking a more backroom job without direct control of the team; and why would he leave Sunderland even if they are relegated? They'll have more finances than we will have, and will be amongst the favourites to go right back up. And that's not even a certainty, they may yet avoid the drop.
Yeah he will stay at Sunderland next season. But he's probably done as much as he can as a manager. And he lives in Bolton. And is mates with our owners. I can see him back in some role, semi-retirement type thing. He gets to live at home, get paid for less stress and basically wind down.

I can see that appealing, if the parts are all in place at the right time.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:29 pm

He doesn't seem the sort who wants to "wind down"

He's an all or nothing kind of bloke
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Athertonian
Promising
Promising

Post by Athertonian » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:02 pm

Who ever is chosen has a very difficult task during the pre-season. I hope that once the season ends it wont be a long wait until the appointment.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:09 pm

boltonboris wrote:He doesn't seem the sort who wants to "wind down"

He's an all or nothing kind of bloke
Agreed but there comes a point when he may be bored of yet another club in trouble asking him to keep them up. Or take them up.

Not necessarily for a while, or ever, but it wouldn't entirely surprise me though who knows where we'll be by then!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:12 pm

Athertonian wrote:Who ever is chosen has a very difficult task during the pre-season. I hope that once the season ends it wont be a long wait until the appointment.
It'll help if Southend aren't in the play-offs (like Keith Hill's Rochdale, they're eight points off with six games left). I don't know whether we'd be able to afford Browny but I'm sure Holdsworth will want to consider him, so any extension to their season will delay us.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:26 pm

Quick form update on some potential next gaffers:

Keith Hill's Rochdale are 9th in League One and second in the form table with 20 pts from last 10
John Sheridan's Oldham are now only a point off safety (with two games in hand) and 5th in the form table (18 from 10)
Phil Brown's Southend are 10th, and 20th in the form table with 11 points from 10
Justin Edinburgh's Gillingham look set for play-offs, 4th on 67pts (auto is 76, non-playoff place is 62). 10th in recent form (13pts)

Chris Wilder's Northampton are second in the last-10 form table (20pts) but top of the league by 14pts and could get promoted this weekend

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:01 pm

Allardyce returning in a completely superfluous, unnecessary (yet paid) role at an all but bankrupt club?

Thank god we've learnt our lessons well.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:06 pm

Keith Hill. Decent football and knows the league very well. He'd be my choice.
But then again I was made up when we appointed coyle and lennon, so what the feck do I know.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:09 pm

We need some kind of weird science combination of Allardyce and Rioch.

Anyone fulfil those criteria, DSB?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:55 am

Lord Kangana wrote:We need some kind of weird science combination of Allardyce and Rioch.

Anyone fulfil those criteria, DSB?
There's at least one bloke who namechecks both and wishes to combine their best facets.
In 2008, [url=http://www.theguardian.com/football/2008/oct/18/premierleague]The Guardian[/url] wrote:Some managers see football as primarily an art, other as predominantly a science. Brown believes it is a bit of both: an amalgam of the sweet passing, ultra-attacking game he played under Rioch and the newly hi-tech, ProZone- informed and psychologist-led sport he later helped Allardyce coach.

Rioch served as the catalyst prompting the then thirtysomething defender to enrol on a coaching course. "In one of his first games a player stood up to Bruce at half-time and questioned his tactics," he recalled. "Bruce just said, 'Have you got your badges? Have you ever studied coaching or management?' The player said, 'No, why?' and the reply came, 'Sit down, shut up and listen to me tell you why I've decided you're coming off.' I decided to start my coaching badges the next day. Bruce Rioch was a huge influence on me."

Within a decade Brown was analysing psychometric tests and ProZone stats as Allardyce's assistant. More importantly he travelled the world helping recruit an array of one-time "world stars", including Jay-Jay Okocha and Youri Djorkaeff.

"I learnt so much from Sam about working with people from all different countries, cultures and religions," reflected a manager who had no qualms about making 11 summer signings. "Sam taught me the importance of togetherness, team spirt and hard work and it's paying off. We won't become arrogant. We won't think we are better than we are but my team has a confidence. They're going out with smiles on their faces - and you always play better when you're in that sort of mood."