Which muppet can we appoint next?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Which muppet can we appoint next?

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 09, 2016 12:54 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I don't even dislike Darren that much, especially compared to some other board members.
Don't know what you mean!

That statement looks like gross misconduct to me.

Sack the bastard.
:D

The good news is, if Darren's on £20kpw, we only need to sell Holding for £2m to cover the rest of the captain's contract.
Aye. Don't know if anyone else noted the Bolton News "understands that not all big salaries need to go this summer"...

Basically the owners have probably realised that they can't shift some of these useless lumps so probably will be selling younger players to pay their wages. That is the galling thing. Not the owners fault, but it definitely sticks in the throat.....

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon May 09, 2016 1:03 pm

You're all missing the point. How would we have coped the last few years without Darren, had he not been on a long Contract that's really difficult to get out of? Really, some people. Tsk.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 09, 2016 2:48 pm

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 09, 2016 3:06 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Anyway, back to the manager hunt: Charlton have been granted permission to talk to Chris Wilder.
Hmmmm

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 09, 2016 3:13 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Anyway, back to the manager hunt: Charlton have been granted permission to talk to Chris Wilder.
Hmmmm
Surprising perhaps that Wilder, said to be after a move to Yorkshire, is happy to talk to Charlton. Mind you, that's where Iain Dowie went after leaving Palace to be nearer his family in Bolton... maybe there's a subterranean pneumatic chute that only managers know about.

Nice use too of the "at this stage of my career" all-purpose cliché.

Seriously though, this might move things along a touch: surely we'd be asking him if he's interested. Yes, perhaps he turned us down last month, but as the voracious internet-devourers seem not to realise, The Situation Can Change.

And it's more likely than the rumour I just read, that Mourinho will be turfing Giggs out of Old Trafford and the curly philanderer will be the "coup"...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon May 09, 2016 3:15 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:The Situation Can Change.
Clearly not true, this is The Internet.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 09, 2016 3:27 pm

Stubbs obviously learned from "Watch this space", judging by these quotes:
It's the same kind of thing that was linking me to jobs earlier on this season. It is what it is - speculation. If someone leaves a job, then there's always going to be talk about who is going to fill that job. I can assure you, however, that my focus is purely on one thing and that's tomorrow's game - not what's on the back page of a paper.

It doesn't affect me. There could be speculation linking me with clubs from Monday to Friday and it wouldn't matter one jot. It is not going to take my attention away from what I need to do to get this team through these play-off games. If it is in the papers again tomorrow, it honestly doesn't bother me one bit.

I've got a year left on my contract and until I'm told otherwise, that's the way it is. I'm not thinking next week, never mind next season. I don't want to wish my life away.

Gravedigger
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Gravedigger » Mon May 09, 2016 4:35 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Stubbs obviously learned from "Watch this space", judging by these quotes:
It's the same kind of thing that was linking me to jobs earlier on this season. It is what it is - speculation. If someone leaves a job, then there's always going to be talk about who is going to fill that job. I can assure you, however, that my focus is purely on one thing and that's tomorrow's game - not what's on the back page of a paper.

It doesn't affect me. There could be speculation linking me with clubs from Monday to Friday and it wouldn't matter one jot. It is not going to take my attention away from what I need to do to get this team through these play-off games. If it is in the papers again tomorrow, it honestly doesn't bother me one bit.

I've got a year left on my contract and until I'm told otherwise, that's the way it is. I'm not thinking next week, never mind next season. I don't want to wish my life away.
For someone not letting external forces influence him he does seem to be running off at the moputh a bit. Always best to STFU and let the mystique settle all around him. 8)
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make up its own mind.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon May 09, 2016 6:51 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
If you're undertaking this sort of exercise then the communication internally needs to be on point. It is an absolute rule 1 of the handbook. I've been through and carried out similar restructures on a large scale several times. This sounds amateurish in the extreme.

You absolutely don't tell staff they'll have a new line manager within a week then 6 weeks later have nobody in place and don't go back and explain to them what is happening. Especially when during that process their mates and people they've worked with are being shunted out, with seemingly similar levels of communication.

not sure I get this at all... are you suggesting that

a) The manager is the line-manager for all the club staff? presumably not! (though your sentence about their mates being shunted out is confusing me!)
b) The manager is the line-manager for the players - like Pratley?

if - b) - which is what I presume you meant - then what is the problem? Pratters has HAD a manager - and presumably does - Jimbo. What actual problems/hardships do you imagine Pratley has experieced due to uncertainty over who the next manager might be?

(not that I accept that a football club manager is anything remotely like the "line manager" role that you have experience of...)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 09, 2016 7:18 pm

thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
If you're undertaking this sort of exercise then the communication internally needs to be on point. It is an absolute rule 1 of the handbook. I've been through and carried out similar restructures on a large scale several times. This sounds amateurish in the extreme.

You absolutely don't tell staff they'll have a new line manager within a week then 6 weeks later have nobody in place and don't go back and explain to them what is happening. Especially when during that process their mates and people they've worked with are being shunted out, with seemingly similar levels of communication.

a) The manager is the line-manager for all the club staff? presumably not! (though your sentence about their mates being shunted out is confusing me!)

if - b) - which is what I presume you meant - then what is the problem? Pratters has HAD a manager - and presumably does - Jimbo. What actual problems/hardships do you imagine Pratley has experieced due to uncertainty over who the next manager might be?

(not that I accept that a football club manager is anything remotely like the "line manager" role that you have experience of...)
That isn't the point. The manager will line manage players. Possibly some first team coaching staff.

But you don't tell everyone that their new manager is on the way next week. Then 6 weeks later nothing.

It is unsettling, especially alongside staff being (badly it seems) told they have no future.

During a process like this you only say what you are certain of and certainly do not make false promises or statements to your staff. It symbolises poor communication or possibly worse, chaos within the organisation.

Forget Pratley as a person. Think of the players in the dressing room. Many young and impressionable players there. If the senior pros like Pratley are saying the club is a shambles, what happens with those young players? End of the day why say anything at all if it isn't certain?

It's just poor. However you try and slice it or defend it.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon May 09, 2016 7:31 pm

You've obviously never had a shit boss. I remember more broken promises than kept ones, usually to keep me/us working hard in false hope. Fairly standard stuff.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon May 09, 2016 8:03 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

That isn't the point. The manager will line manage players. Possibly some first team coaching staff.

But you don't tell everyone that their new manager is on the way next week. Then 6 weeks later nothing.

It is unsettling, especially alongside staff being (badly it seems) told they have no future.

During a process like this you only say what you are certain of and certainly do not make false promises or statements to your staff. It symbolises poor communication or possibly worse, chaos within the organisation.

Forget Pratley as a person. Think of the players in the dressing room. Many young and impressionable players there. If the senior pros like Pratley are saying the club is a shambles, what happens with those young players? End of the day why say anything at all if it isn't certain?

I'm not getting what actual concrete difference it makes to the players at all... they have had a manager - they still have one - what is it that is actually the issue?? and what has it got to do with the "staff"? the manager is not their line-manager... :conf:

I'm not looking to defend anything - just struggling to understand - at this stage of the season - what difference it makes to players and their line-management situation...

I'd have thought it is in ALL of their interests that we take however long it takes and get the right bloke.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Mon May 09, 2016 8:09 pm

Perhaps they have to wait for the season to finish. We wouldn't want another pelligrini incident when a manager is still in a job.

Unlikely if we have to pay a sizeable fee but possible nonetheless.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 09, 2016 8:11 pm

thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I'm not getting what actual concrete difference it makes to the players at all... they have had a manager - they still have one - what is it that is actually the issue?? and what has it got to do with the "staff"? the manager is not their line-manager... :conf:

I'm not looking to defend anything - just struggling to understand - at this stage of the season - what difference it makes to players and their line-management situation...

I'd have thought it is in ALL of their interests that we take however long it takes and get the right bloke.
It isn't about now, it is about the message it sends out for the future.

Also planning for next season for many clubs is already well underway. We are behind already. Players will go away for the summer now not knowing where they stand or don't stand with their next boss.

IF the delay was about getting the right man then fine. But if that was what they were up to, why has Anderson on 3 occassions now said otherwise re timescales only for each time to look a bit silly at best and part of general chaos at worst? How does any of this help players feel settled here or that the club is geared to move upwards?

I've worked in difficult situations like this before. If the people at the top don't seem to be able to say what is happening or give confusing messages it is incredibly unsettling further down the chain.

End of the day, why are they giving out incorrect messages? It is entirely in their power NOT to do so!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon May 09, 2016 8:25 pm

so - not REALLY to do with issues of line-management then?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon May 09, 2016 8:33 pm

thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Players have had meetings about their futures according to Anderson. He claimed they were supposed to commit to the club or not. then he tells them one thing and then doesn't follow through. Next manager is a big deal in decision making I'd imagine. As is trusting the people in charge. I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 09, 2016 10:32 pm

Seems to me entirely possible that Anderson is a bit of a gobshite promising things (in public and private) he can't deliver; that Holdsworth has been pushed into a marriage of inconvenience with someone he's not communicating with; and that Pratley is hiding behind all this.

I really don't give a flyer if the players don't know who the next boss is. It's far more important to get the right guy. We could announce Reid tomorrow, but Rioch wasn't appointed the day after the season ended. Several players we might sign might not be talking yet because they're in the playoffs.

There is much that could be improved about the KA/DH dynamic, and the time is now. But we need to make the right decision rather than a quick decision and Captain Marvel can cram a fcking barely-muddy sock in it.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon May 09, 2016 11:21 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Seems to me entirely possible that Anderson is a bit of a gobshite promising things (in public and private) he can't deliver; that Holdsworth has been pushed into a marriage of inconvenience with someone he's not communicating with; and that Pratley is hiding behind all this.

I really don't give a flyer if the players don't know who the next boss is. It's far more important to get the right guy. We could announce Reid tomorrow, but Rioch wasn't appointed the day after the season ended. Several players we might sign might not be talking yet because they're in the playoffs.

There is much that could be improved about the KA/DH dynamic, and the time is now. But we need to make the right decision rather than a quick decision and Captain Marvel can cram a fcking barely-muddy sock in it.
Of course reaching the right decision is better than a quick one but I have no confidence at all in these lot making that decision. Pratley is speaking some truth but with no authority or credibility as you rightly point out. I'm quite happy for the club to stick two big fingers up right back at him. Tantrum throwing of a man who wants to leave rather than one who genuinely gives a shit.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon May 09, 2016 11:37 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Seems to me entirely possible that Anderson is a bit of a gobshite promising things (in public and private) he can't deliver; that Holdsworth has been pushed into a marriage of inconvenience with someone he's not communicating with; and that Pratley is hiding behind all this.

Of course reaching the right decision is better than a quick one but I have no confidence at all in these lot making that decision. Pratley is speaking some truth but with no authority or credibility as you rightly point out. I'm quite happy for the club to stick two big fingers up right back at him. Tantrum throwing of a man who wants to leave rather than one who genuinely gives a shit.
I'm sure the club would be happy to jointly agree to termination of his contract if he was that desperate to leave and had somewhere else in his sights but I won't hold my breath.

palekm08
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palekm08 » Tue May 10, 2016 8:41 am

So lets say Holding does sell for 5 mill plus.

1) Do you think that cash would attract managers more as its evidence the club does have money.
2) Do you think thats the reason potential managers have been stalling or rejecting the club due to insufficient funds to please there needs?

Lastly if we do sell holding for 5 mil or more, i'd be happy rather then annoyed. Under PG and ED we would have sold him for probably 1mil, so credit for KA and DH for valuing him higher. And hopefully we'd have a few million to spend during the transfer window now.

Edit: Deli Alli also sold for 5 mil. So do we really rate him as high as Alli?