Which muppet can we appoint next?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Re: Which muppet can we appoint next?

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:16 pm

As I've said previously there really is no rush to appoint.

Targets have been identified but can't be brought in as we are under embargo.

The rest of the squad are still on holiday so the new manager would have nothing to look at.

If money really is that tight it makes sense to appoint when we need a manager to manage something, not before.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:23 pm

BWFCi - I read something different from Iles's tweets - he said Parkinson "was [the] one I couldn't name a couple of weeks ago. Whether situation has improved under new owners in last week - I don't know." I might be wrong but I don't think Iles has said that Parky was interviewed.

As an aside, I recall a back-page BEN splash about Bradford saying there'd been no approach for their coach Colin Todd from new Bolton manager Bruce Rioch. Things change. What gets reported, in an article or a tweet, may be true then (to the best of the writer's knowledge) but not turn out to be the one. If anyone doesn't want to read unverified information I suggest they're on the wrong thread and should just watch the BWFC.co.uk site.
Last edited by Dave Sutton's barnet on Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:23 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:As I've said previously there really is no rush to appoint.

The rest of the squad are still on holiday so the new manager would have nothing to look at.

If money really is that tight it makes sense to appoint when we need a manager to manage something, not before.
IF as rumoured they have a manager sorted but not announced that is ok. If they are struggling to appoint anyone then that is more symptomatic of wider issues.....

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:24 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:BWFCi - I read something different from Iles's tweets - he said Parkinson "was [the] one I couldn't name a couple of weeks ago. Whether situation has improved under new owners in last week - I don't know." I might be wrong but I don't think Iles has said that Parky was interviewed.

As an aside, I recall a back-page BEN splash about Bradford saying there'd been no approach for their coach Colin Todd from new Bolton manager Bruce Rioch. Things change. What gets reported, in an article or a tweet, may be true then (to the best of the writer's knowledge) but not turn out to be the one. If anyone doesn't want to read unverified information I suggest they're on the wrong thread and should just watch the BWFC.co.uk site.
Yeah true, I thought he was referring to the interviewee he couldn't name but perhaps you are right and it was someone else....

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:25 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:As I've said previously there really is no rush to appoint.

IF as rumoured they have a manager sorted but not announced that is ok. If they are struggling to appoint anyone then that is more symptomatic of wider issues.....
My worry with the delay is losing good potential managers, if they decide to go elsewhere instead. If delaying helps us get a better option (Evans/Parky), then fine. That's a value judgement none of us are in a position to make.

I see Charlton have appointed Russell Slade, so that's one of Adkins' employment options gone. No bad thing.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:00 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

My worry with the delay is losing good potential managers, if they decide to go elsewhere instead. If delaying helps us get a better option (Evans/Parky), then fine. That's a value judgement none of us are in a position to make.

I see Charlton have appointed Russell Slade, so that's one of Adkins' employment options gone. No bad thing.
Most of the sackings will have happened or not by now. So I'm not sure there is anymore a case of waiting to see....and we seemingly cannot pay any compensation.

Otherwise we could be into the season....

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:03 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Most of the sackings will have happened or not by now. So I'm not sure there is anymore a case of waiting to see....and we seemingly cannot pay any compensation.

I really don't think even our lot will wait until the season. For a start, we've barely enough players.

Agree on sackings/resignations, but these things can be fluid - ask Phil Parkinson.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:08 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Most of the sackings will have happened or not by now. So I'm not sure there is anymore a case of waiting to see....and we seemingly cannot pay any compensation.

I really don't think even our lot will wait until the season. For a start, we've barely enough players.

Agree on sackings/resignations, but these things can be fluid - ask Phil Parkinson.
Again I'm sure by choice they won't. Anderson in his press conference said he wanted the manager soon because he wanted all the building blocks in place to hit the ground running next season.

I'm sure the intention is there, I'm more worried about their capability, be it financial or otherwise to deliver the manager, lifting of the embargo and subsequent signings we need. The fact that they've delivered themselves several inaccurate timescales on step 1, and we're into June now, doesn't fill me with massive confidence all round.

As I say IF they have someone lined up (who isn't Peter Reid) then fair enough. Time will tell.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:44 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Can I just chuck this 'out there'. Russell Slade has been released today from his role as Head of Football at Cardiff. Now, things haven't gone all together well for him at (whatever they replaced Ninian Park with), but he did have to pick up the dog's dinner that Solskjaer had left. He did a quite splendid job at Leyton Orient. Thoughts?
I admired his work at Orient but Cardiff fans I know utterly detested him: puzzling, defensive selections, very bad feeling around the club.
Well, he's now at Charlton so I guess we'll see how well he does. Didn't know that he'd created ill-feeling at Cardiff.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Athertonian
Promising
Promising

Post by Athertonian » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:44 pm

Smokescreens the lot. It will be Peter Reid.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:49 pm

Athertonian wrote:Smokescreens the lot. It will be Peter Reid.
I fear that he'll be our only option. :hang:

God help the younguns.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:03 pm

We're inching closer to Iles, who said it wouldn't be today, being right...

Adkins is now favourite with SkyBet and Betfair, FWIW.

Nigel Adkins' assistant is Andy Crosby, Brian McDermott's is Nigel Gibbs and Steve Evans' is Paul Raynor. Just in case you want to stand at Ringway with a taxi-driver's sign, or trawl social media for beach shots.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:05 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:We're inching closer to Iles, who said it wouldn't be today, being right...

Nigel Adkins' assistant is Andy Crosby, Brian McDermott's is Nigel Gibbs and Steve Evans' is Paul Raynor. Just in case you want to stand at Ringway with a taxi-driver's sign, or trawl social media for beach shots.
Do you really believe that guff about the delay? I can't believe they're delaying an announcement because the assistant hasn't signed and is on holiday.....

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:18 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:We're inching closer to Iles, who said it wouldn't be today, being right...

Do you really believe that guff about the delay? I can't believe they're delaying an announcement because the assistant hasn't signed and is on holiday.....
I don't believe anything, I just pass it on.

But it's as plausible as much of the other shit that's flown. (Ryan Giggs indeed.) If a manager says he'll only come with his chosen No.2, and we can't get his signature, what precedent does it set if we just announce it unilaterally?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:36 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

It's possible that the manager has signed conditional on his assistant signing. Said assistant may have verbally agreed from the beach, but counting chickens and all that they want to wait until the signing bit is done so you don't start calling them out for fcuking up announcements.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:45 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

It's possible that the manager has signed conditional on his assistant signing. Said assistant may have verbally agreed from the beach, but counting chickens and all that they want to wait until the signing bit is done so you don't start calling them out for fcuking up announcements.
But then they'd have known that on Friday when they told the Bolton News that new manager was being announced today.....

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:49 pm

Has anything ever gone wrong unforeseen in anything you've ever done?

Or, another question: would you expect everything to go smoothly with this bunch?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:50 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

But then they'd have known that on Friday when they told the Bolton News that new manager was being announced today.....
Maybe assistant fella missed his flight. Maybe he changed his mind. Maybe he thought he'd just wind you up.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:54 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Has anything ever gone wrong unforeseen in anything you've ever done?

Or, another question: would you expect everything to go smoothly with this bunch?
I just think that they say a lot of things that don't seem to pan out. This the latest in a long line.

I hope they have a good manager signed up and ready to announce. Hope rather than expect at this stage.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:30 pm

Online Bolton News has the headline "Bolton new manager to be unveiled today" ...underneath the headline it says.."9 hours ago!". Always right on the mark is the BN.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?