For new signings, ask the man from the Pru

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: For new signings, ask the man from the Pru

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:45 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:I'd like your op-in-i-on. :D
I'm not mad keen on opinions without facts, which is why I try to quote them. But my opinion is that Rachubka is shit and that yes, we should be expecting a better goalkeeper.

(By what rationale was McGovern the hero? Number of saves made, perhaps? :wink: )
Rachubka is a poor keeper (opinion) because I can't pronounce his name (fact). I rest my case. :D
Had he been a goodun I was working on "Rachubka, Rachubka, Rachubka, aye aye". To the tune of Babooshka :oops:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:01 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
TonyDomingos wrote:
I'm not mad keen on opinions without facts, which is why I try to quote them. But my opinion is that Rachubka is shit and that yes, we should be expecting a better goalkeeper.

(By what rationale was McGovern the hero? Number of saves made, perhaps? :wink: )
Rachubka is a poor keeper (opinion) because I can't pronounce his name (fact). I rest my case. :D
Had he been a goodun I was working on "Rachubka, Rachubka, Rachubka, aye aye". To the tune of Babooshka :oops:
You doing Wuthering Heights as an encore doesn't bear thinking about. :-)

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:10 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
TonyDomingos wrote:

You doing Wuthering Heights as an encore doesn't bear thinking about. :-)
I'd pay good money to see Bruce's Bush. :P
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:23 pm

TonyDomingos wrote: I'd pay good money to see Bruce's Bush. :P
:D

I gotten ma Tone Loc goin' on too;

"4u-ckin' slow Madine-a" ;)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:37 pm

This is going to a very dark place... :-)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:39 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:

In one game only. It doesn't mask the fact that he's had a poor career though (unless you wish to look at the facts surrounding one game). ;)

And I refute that many of your facts take into account other circumstances. I'm not saying that Rachubka's a goodun, I said he looked ok when I saw him play (thus me seeing his all round game rather than simply his shots/saves ratio a spreadsheet), but have it your way. :P
Nope, not following you at all here, buddy. Are you saying yon McGovern's a bad goalkeeper because he keeps getting released? By that rationale, Rachubka's not looking good either. I don't know about McGovern but I do know that every time Rachubka played for us we leaked goals - including two to a non-league side - and that things weren't nearly as bad when he was mercifully absent.

I certainly don't recall much greeting and wailing when he was released, but if he's any good, maybe he'll come back. If he does, I hope to God that his spreadsheet gets cleaner, unlike every other sheet he goes near. :D

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:01 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote: Nope, not following you at all here, buddy. Are you saying yon McGovern's a bad goalkeeper because he keeps getting released? By that rationale, Rachubka's not looking good either. I don't know about McGovern but I do know that every time Rachubka played for us we leaked goals - including two to a non-league side - and that things weren't nearly as bad when he was mercifully absent.

I certainly don't recall much greeting and wailing when he was released, but if he's any good, maybe he'll come back. If he does, I hope to God that his spreadsheet gets cleaner, unlike every other sheet he goes near. :D
I only mentioned it because you were using Rachubka's club count against him. Anyway, without us being all 'Zen' about it - I must say that I raised an eyebrow when we released him on the simple grounds that we've just been relegated, he'll not be on much, I think he did OK overall when I saw him play (just my opinion), I don't hear of any academy GK's being touted as being ready yet and spare GK isn't a key position. Ultimately that's why I threw it out there - Isn't Rachubka (or similar) exactly the sort of GK we'd be looking for to fill that roll?

Anyhoo... as a slight aside, you know the club count thing? Well, it made me think of Andy Dibble who was moved on (inc loans) 21 times. I remember his debut against West Brom for us, watching on with amazement. I thought he was superb in his spell with us and remember him fondly. In fact, I'm yet to read a bad word about him from anywhere. However, being as he rarely managed to secure a gig for long anywhere then I guess that there must be some out there somewhere.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:44 pm

Look John Burridge up. By the fck he played for some clubs in his time (&, tbh, AFTER his time in some cases). 29 according to Wiki
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:47 am

Loved Andy Dibble. I saw most of his loan games, including his last one at Stockport, where the "sign him on..." chants were a mixture of admiration and desperation. It was never gonna happen though – Man City were a Big Team and he was therefore obviously on Big Wages, though doubtless tiny by today's top-flight standards: it was the last season before the Premier League and according to official PFA figures, the average top-flight basic was £59,904 or £1152 pw.

Anyway, I digress (as usual :D ). Man, we went through some goalkeepers that season: with David Felgate no longer unassailable, Phil Neal tried Kevin Rose, Dibble, Ally Maxwell and Gerry Peyton. But by summer Neal was gone and the new man brought in Keith Branagan, which I suppose is coming back to the point: with a new manager (at that point unknown), KA/DH wanted to clear the decks as much as possible, probably also because we needed to keep wages down. (Like I said at the time, I was disappointed we didn't keep Maher and Threlkeld, who'd be on buttons and were positionally adaptable, but hey-ho.) Transfermarkt shows 37 unattached goalkeepers who have been released by English league clubs, over 200 worldwide - I'm sure our Parky has his own ideas – and if not, he can always ask a certain unemployed Californian... :D

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:51 am

Parky asks for a clean slate for all players from the fans. Reasonable ask, but can't see it happening in some cases without results on the pitch in the first place.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... ate_clean/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also confirms Pratley spoke to QPR nothing came of it, and for now he looks like staying.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:33 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Parky asks for a clean slate for all players from the fans. Reasonable ask, but can't see it happening in some cases without results on the pitch in the first place.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... ate_clean/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also confirms Pratley spoke to QPR nothing came of it, and for now he looks like staying.
“Darren, within the group of players here, has trained really well. His attitude has been first class.”
And that's the problem, he's shit when on the pitch in a proper game.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:43 am

Good slate-cleaning, Hobes. :D

I dunno, I don't have the greatest faith in Darren, and I daresay if he underperforms crucially during a match people have paid good money to watch, they won't all shrug their shoulders and applaud him for trying. And I can understand that.

I will say that Coyle, Freedman and Lennon all seemed to love him, and if Parky wants hard work he'll get that from the big man (six foot - just saying). I would hope Parky wants a bit more than gormless sweat, and I truly hope that Pratley can deliver it. I'd rather he be gone, but if he's here, I hope he plays well.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:53 am

If players such as Pratley can't shine like neon pink polka dots against a battleship grey background at this level then it really is time to give up.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:57 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Good slate-cleaning, Hobes. :D

I dunno, I don't have the greatest faith in Darren, and I daresay if he underperforms crucially during a match people have paid good money to watch, they won't all shrug their shoulders and applaud him for trying. And I can understand that.

I will say that Coyle, Freedman and Lennon all seemed to love him, and if Parky wants hard work he'll get that from the big man (six foot - just saying). I would hope Parky wants a bit more than gormless sweat, and I truly hope that Pratley can deliver it. I'd rather he be gone, but if he's here, I hope he plays well.
There is a place for a player like Pratley who covers ground and basically does the donkey work. If he can work hard and do the basics well then I for one wouldn't be unhappy with him remaining. I rather think he doesn't want to be here really though and his language at the end of the season did not scream someone who appreciates they've let the fans down. It was very much everyone else's fault but his sort of thing, which I don't think helps build any sort of bond with the fans.

He's in a group of players for me including Dervite, Mark Davies, Madine etc where they COULD have something to offer at this level, but all have to show far greater desire to play for us and to take responsibility during games. And in each case I have doubts as to whether that will happen.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:34 pm

I share your doubts, BWFCi, and your hopes, Bruce. I am putting my faith in Parky to de-chaff. I may yet be wrong but I get the impression he won't select on reputation but on performance.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:23 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:If players such as Pratley can't shine like neon pink polka dots against a battleship grey background at this level then it really is time to give up.

Dazzle shits?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:30 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:If players such as Pratley can't shine like neon pink polka dots against a battleship grey background at this level then it really is time to give up.

Dazzle shits?

Sounds like one of them new age rap groups.........

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:32 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:

Dazzle shits?
You can't polish a turd.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:33 pm

Little Green Man wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:

Dazzle shits?
You can't polish a turd.

Nope, but you can roll it in glitter.....

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:34 pm

They have a clean slate from me, but I've just bought some extra chalk.

I'm not one to "boo" players at matches, but really some of them, who may believe they're still Premiership really need to show that they can make a decent fist of League 1.