Next season - might as well get it started now.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Next season - might as well get it started now.

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:50 pm

I popped back in time to have a quick peek at what we were saying as we slid out of the Premier League and into the Championship. Not going to quote any bugger, but, the opinions ran from (broadly) will be a pleasant change from not being able to win the Premier League, through "look we're 8/1 to win the Championship" (obviously from some people who'd never seen our squad), to this is a major disaster. Reckon most folks reckoned it'd be easier than it was on balance.

Some of the players in the "Prem Squad" are still around - my opinion, they were shit then and they've continued to prove it in the couple of years since. We're manager-less on a permanent basis and don't have a pot to piss in. What's the predictions for next season?

For me, we have one really important signing to make - I'd be surprised if we had much cash anywhere - not as if we could give half our squad away, we already tried. So right manager for me, is the single most important person we'll sign, as Rotherham have found out. Not sure Brownie's it and that has its own thread. But they're going to need to be able to work with any "talent" we manage to retain.

We also need someone in the scouting staff that has a fcking clue - coz we're going to need some frees when we get rid of dead-wood.

I'd be reasonably happy with a season that brings (in order)

1) No further administration threats - no guarantees on that front, we still have some serious wage earners that we can't just magic away.
2) Manager who can work with what's in front of him, but still think we need that decision made by mid-June.
3) Scout that has a clue.
4) Half-way up or better - but improving rather than getting worse. Starting the first months nearer the top than the bottom then finishing half way, would be worse for me than starting nearer the bottom than the top and finishing half-way - I'd be delighted if we got anywhere near promotion/play-offs with this shower of shite.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Re: Next season - might as well get it started now.

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:58 pm

I'm hoping for all those but only expecting the first one tbh.

A new manager will need to get the best of those duffers we're still stuck with and fingers crossed players like Wilkinson, Whyte, Threlkeld etc will suddenly come good after their respective loan experiences.

Personally, I don't see anything other than another relegation battle :(
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:38 pm

Right now I will take staying up next season.

Managerial appt most important. But we need to bring in a lot of new players too. Not sure there is the money for that nor the contract flexibility with existing players to create room.

As it stands this squad will go down again in my view. It has collectively given up as Pratley has basically said post match. Even the best manager in the world will struggle with this lot without a shake up.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:12 pm

It's amazing what a club can do with a good manager and a few astute frees.
Not expecting either right now.
Relegation struggle.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:17 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Right now I will take staying up next season.

Managerial appt most important. But we need to bring in a lot of new players too. Not sure there is the money for that nor the contract flexibility with existing players to create room.

As it stands this squad will go down again in my view. It has collectively given up as Pratley has basically said post match. Even the best manager in the world will struggle with this lot without a shake up.

Missed that. What did he say?

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:26 pm

We need a clear headed manager, 2 wide men and two utterly vicious b4stards in the centre of the park. We should already be scouting League 2 and the Conference for players who want to make a step up. Watching thr Football League show, theres a few about. Upper mid table consolidation.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:29 pm

PT's post on the other thread me wonder about the 'experience' of the managers at the top of League One.

Gary Caldwell, manager of League One leaders Wigan, is 33 years old.

Second-placed Burton's Nigel Clough is an ancient 50 but much of the good work was done by Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink (who was 42 when they were promoted from League Two) and, before him, Gary Rowett (39 when he reached the first of two successive playoffs).

The four managers in the playoff positions are aged 48, 38, 46 and 45 (caretaker manager after the previous guy, 45, was pinched by Brentford).

What we need is a good manager, but he doesn't have to have lived through the Vietnam War.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:01 pm

I will be happy with a mid table finish, the appointment of someone who has the ability to negotiate sensible contracts and the hiring of scouts with knowledge of the lower leagues and non-league.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:09 pm

Worthy4England wrote:

http://m.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1441 ... o_stay_up/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Needs a whole new squad according to Darren. Aye it does when shithouse senior players like you give up!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:43 pm

Ta. TBF, most of us think we need pretty much a whole new squad too!

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:31 pm

Our current squad - minus the summer leavers - will struggle to avoid relegation next season. One or two exceptions apart, there's nowt about them to inspire confidence.

But.... a new manager and, maybe, four or five reasonable signings could make all the difference. I'll go "glass half full" for the time being.

But, to be honest, I'll go to my usual half dozen (southern) games a season, make some feeble jokes on here and life will go on.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:11 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

http://m.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1441 ... o_stay_up/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Needs a whole new squad according to Darren. Aye it does when shithouse senior players like you give up!
He's a spineless f*cking cowardly shithouse useless c*nt, and job one for any manager is f*cking that loser off.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:47 am

I'm resigned to the fact we're going to struggle to shift on most of the players that will still be in contract. So we're going to need a manager and captain that they're too scared of to not put everything into each game.

jetsetwilly
Reliable
Reliable

Post by jetsetwilly » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:21 am

If we can't get the dross off the books due to their contracts I'd pay them to stay away. Their attitude is a cancer at the club and will only spread to the youth (of it hasn't already).

I think next season will be a repeat of this. We have no battle and I can't see us competing with anyone at the league one level.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:14 am

Needed:

- one scary fcuker of a manager similar to the drill sergeant in Full Metal Jacket. 'Mavies you maggot, I didn't realise they piled shit that high.' Etc etc.

- a 6ft6 CB with a hairy back and several missing teeth who smashes everything in his way and intimidates his fellow defenders into not making mistakes.

- stig tofting in midfield. I don't care how old he is or if we have to break him out of prison. He becomes mark Davies roommate and 'encourages' him to play well.

- a front man who is the result of a genetic splicing experiment involving mick Harford, John fashanu and that scientist from The Human caterpillar. He moves to Breightmet and gets a new patio just as Gary madine mysteriously disappears never to be seen again.

- a goalkeeper who can see the 18 yard line from his goal line.

I'm bored.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:19 am

Like folk have said it sounds like Phil Brown is a done deal and will be our manager next season, and I like most will be happy with that - I can't think of anyone else (apart from big Sam) who's appointment would go some way to galvanising the club and getting the fans back onside - I think the fans would certainly get behind Browny, I certainly would.

He now experienced & knows the division / lower leagues well, and will know what type of players & tactics are needed next year - he'll also know which League 1 & 2 players are available on free transfers in the summer and he won't take the shite from our cowards such as Madine, Pratley, Moxey, M Davies. Even if we have to pay a % of their wages to get them away from the club until their contracts run out, its still better & cheaper than having to pay their full wages just for them to sit on their arses & to disrupt the younger & new players.

I think he'll try & bring in a couple of no nonsense leaders into the team who are probably already playing in League 1 and a couple of goal scorers from the lower leagues who won't cost the earth & Bolton, the Macron with Phil Brown as manager will still be very attractive to other League 1 & 2 players

I think with Browny in charge we may even be in with a chance of the play offs next season, but he needs to be brought in immediately at the end of the season to give him enough time to sort out the mess before pre season.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:24 am

LeverEnd wrote:Needed:

- one scary fcuker of a manager similar to the drill sergeant in Full Metal Jacket. 'Mavies you maggot, I didn't realise they piled shit that high.' Etc etc.

- a 6ft6 CB with a hairy back and several missing teeth who smashes everything in his way and intimidates his fellow defenders into not making mistakes.

- stig tofting in midfield. I don't care how old he is or if we have to break him out of prison. He becomes mark Davies roommate and 'encourages' him to play well.

- a front man who is the result of a genetic splicing experiment involving mick Harford, John fashanu and that scientist from The Human caterpillar. He moves to Breightmet and gets a new patio just as Gary madine mysteriously disappears never to be seen again.

- a goalkeeper who can see the 18 yard line from his goal line.

I'm bored.
Yes we need some hard as nails no nonsense players next season and a completely new midfield, and also a strong captain who doesn't shrink & leads by example - as I've said before we need a real nasty 'Joey Barton' type character.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:30 am

I was speaking to a City mate last night, and he said Andy Morrison was the answer for their late charge up the Div3 table into the play-offs in 1999 (the same year we turned up in tracksuits and didn't take them off against Watford). A defender not for the faint of heart. Thing is. Is that required nowadays at that level? I guess if strikers like Madine can (relatively) flourish in the third tier, then the answer might be yes...

If Madine starts as our first choice striker next season, it really is the saddest of periods.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:23 am

A manager working without his hands tied would be a good start. If that means the board need to take decisions such as shutting the upper tiers, so be it.

But yeah, we need some steel. Said it a few times but captain pratley sums it up. Blokes a fanny, would not inspire me one jot.

Whookam
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Whookam » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:46 am

I'm not convinced Phil Brown is the man for the job but I can't suggest anyone else. The problem is we've got no money so I don't want to see us spend it on getting a manager out of their existing contract. Also I like Phil Brown, I don't want to have to revise my opinion of him as I did with Coyle.

I think we're lacking any really decent players. Holding, Clough, and Woolery have promise but that's it, the rest of the 'youth' are a but off the pace IMO. The older players are very meh and I see no reason for them to do any more next season than they have in this one.

I think mid-table would be a good finish for us next season but I expect us to be in and around the bottom.