TKIZ!'s Scouting book for Boys (& ladies) of The Wanderer

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: TKIZ!'s Scouting book for Boys (& ladies) of The Wandere

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:53 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Does he like it enough here to come and play for buttons though?

We have to delve right back into our collective memories to remember what it takes to get out of the lower leagues. A lot of spirit - individual, team and, yes, from the supporters too - is what I recall from 23 years ago (ouch!).

Players who actively want to be here might play a big part in that.

But would he just represent more jobs for the boys, or be this seadons Tony Kelly? High stakes game isn't it when you're playing with nowt?
It took a team that had gradually been put together by Phil Neal, but run out of ideas, to be inspired by a bold leader in Rioch. It took some good bargains (Branagan, McAteer, Patterson, Kelly, Brown, Burke), some good youth products (Darby, Winstanley, Stubbs), some players floating down unwanted from a higher level (Green, Seagraves), and some financial gambles that paid off remarkably well: Walker, then McGinlay, then Lee (whom Neal had wanted for at least two years but we couldn't afford).

It took a while, is what it took. But we didn't have nearly as good a youth system as we do now, and didn't have the pull that our recent higher-league adventures should give us.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:55 pm

Aye, it's the Eagles who left us I'd have back in a heartbeat. Hard to know what had happened since. Does strike me as the kind of guy lower league managers would write off as not having passhun, but also wouldn't surprise me if his head has gone David Bentley style and he sacks it off to run a tanning salon for ex-pats in Marbella.

Worth a look though I reckon.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:06 pm

SJM! Its easy to forget that he started off as second fiddle to Andy Walker.

For me he embodies the spirit that made the difference from the lacklustre fag-end of Neal's reign.

We needed a change then. I think we need more of a miracle now. (And wasnt Stubbsy a Liverpool youth team cast-off? )
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:09 pm

Chris Eagles? FFS. I thought this thread was about unearthing the next Jamie Vardy, not "whose pension pot can we top up?". We do need two or three old hands to guide the youth, but no way does Eagles fit that bill.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:22 pm

Matt Taylor at Bristol Rovers has scored 28 this season and is out of contract. The players are out there, we just need a manager and funds, preferably this coming week.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:26 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:SJM! Its easy to forget that he started off as second fiddle to Andy Walker.

For me he embodies the spirit that made the difference from the lacklustre fag-end of Neal's reign.

We needed a change then. I think we need more of a miracle now. (And wasnt Stubbsy a Liverpool youth team cast-off? )
McGinlay: remembered now as the catalyst but like I say was part of a team largely assembled by Neal and galvanised by Rioch. But Neal had been building that team whereas our current squad has been dismantled by finance and a succession of shit managers. Not impossible, but harder.

Stubbs, in his own words to the Telegraph:
When I was 13, I trained with Everton but they decided against taking me on. I went to Bolton, a lovely, homely little club where I formed many friendships. We had good players like Alan Thompson, Jason McAteer, John McGinlay and Andy Walker and the manager, Bruce Rioch, got the best out of us.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:42 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:He left at the end of Freedman's first part-season. .
I thought he left sometime around half way into Freedmans first full season. In Freedmans first part season, Eagles and Dawson were the reason we nearly made the play offs. Not sure what happened the following season but Freedman wasn't starting him as often and he had a definite drop in form. Like Bobo said, I'm not sure he could ever hit the heights again but taking punts on cheap available players with something to prove is about where we're at financially.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:06 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:He left at the end of Freedman's first part-season. .
I thought he left sometime around half way into Freedmans first full season. In Freedmans first part season, Eagles and Dawson were the reason we nearly made the play offs. Not sure what happened the following season but Freedman wasn't starting him as often and he had a definite drop in form. Like Bobo said, I'm not sure he could ever hit the heights again but taking punts on cheap available players with something to prove is about where we're at financially.
Yeah, got me seasons mixed up. He stuck around until his contract elapsed in Jun 2014 (after DF's only full season) but he didn't play a minute after 15 Feb - ostracised by Freedman - and he'd only played 15 of the first 35 games that term, in and out of the team.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:13 pm

Might be wrong, but I always had the feeling Freedman was the sort to leave a player out to prove points. Eagles was/is a flair player who can make things happen. Defending was never his forte, but then again, we've been trying forty seven full backs and enough midfielders to field midle earth in Lord of the Rings. A lack of regular forward power and Eagles wanting to be up there instead of chasing wingers back into his own half was possibly the reason he didn't get picked. With a new manager who can get the best out of his players, who knows what's possible?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:22 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
We will all remember that in that ore-season Mr Freedman said he was his jewel and intended to build the team around him.

He scored & then broke a toe v Burnley in the first match of the season and then was not selected once fit. I got the view (a-la Sturridge at L'pool) that the manager felt he wasn't trying hard enough to get fit. But then he tried to loan him out (to Charlton or Millwall I think). He declined & that was just about that for him.

Odd treatment for the "jewel in the Crown".
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:17 am

Bit more research on a few mentioned:

Jai Reason (26) plays on the right wing (but has been employed as a left winger/Attacking midfielder. Out of contract with Eastleigh as been suggested, so would be well within the price structure for us. 45 games this season, 6 goals and 10 assists

Matt Taylor (26) Centre forward. 41 games this season and 25 goals. Nominated for League 2 player of the year and out of contract in the summer. Think this one is a bit of a no-brainer and certainly worth a look in summer. Well within our price range and this is one BWFC would do well to work quickly and try to sign. This could be our 'Jaime Vardy' type?

and four just spotted
Tom Carroll (23) Defensive midfielder. 18 games as sub. Tough one this one, Tom plays for Spurs. Been out of loan for most of his career, could be a tough one to get and wages might be out of reach. His contract expires at the end of the season

Emmanuel Frimpong (24) Defensive midfielder. Recently released from Russian side Ufa. Learned his trade at Arsenal, tough tackling but can be prone to erratic behaviour. Might be worth a look, played for a number of teams currently in Championship and could be within our price range.

Quincy Awusu-Abeyie (30) Left winger/Forward. Recently released from Boavista. Much travelled journeyman. Played all over Europe and never really been settled. Certainly an older player when we will look to promote youth. Also a gamble on whether we could afford wages. Career total of 197 games and 21 goals

Jack Jebb (20) Central midfielder. Played all his career in Arsenal's youth ranks. Released at 18. Regarded as the next Jack Wilshere. Technically gifted, out of contract with Stevenage in summer. With the right type of manager I think he could be great, well within our price range. 9 games in League 2
Pfffft.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:55 am

Couple more from the Manager thread:

Daniel Bentley (22) Highly rated goalkeeper from Southend. Out of contract in summer. Was subject to three bids from QPR in the transfer window of £1m/£1.2m and £1.25m. Worth a look if as suggested Browny will be our new manager and would give Amos some competition. Would be within our price range

Jack Payne (21) Attacking midfielder/Central midfielder. Highly rated from Southend. Out of contract in summer. Lots of interest from Championship clubs around this lad. 31 appearances this season with 9 goals and 6 assists. Again, if Browny does become new manager knows this player and could get the best from him. Great back-up for Clough or if indeed Clough goes good replacement
Pfffft.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:01 am

Seeing where you're going on all those TKIZ, but the big problem with anybody who has been on "decent" money will be getting them to accept a lower level that we can afford, and want to play in League One. I'm thinking the Frimpongs who have seen the bright lights and fat wallet clubs etc. The young up and comers are definitely our best bet.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:06 am

Hate to be the naysayer but most folks like Frimpong are exactly what we don't need: entitled no m-marks, more heat than light. Also no way we're gonna spend seven figures on one player, particularly a goalie when we still owe one the thick end of £3m in wages. I'd expect more like Matt Taylor, maybe a couple other Bosmen. Money should be focused on wage rather than fee.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:09 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Hate to be the naysayer but most folks like Frimpong are exactly what we don't need: entitled no m-marks, more heat than light. Also no way we're gonna spend seven figures on one player, particularly a goalie when we still owe one the thick end of £3m in wages. I'd expect more like Matt Taylor, maybe a couple other Bosmen. Money should be focused on wage rather than fee.
Sorry DSB, should have been more clear with the Daniel Bentley assessment. He's out of contract in the summer. He would be free but has Championship teams sniffing round. I think QPR were basically trying to get him in the transfer window with an offer Southend couldn't (but ultimately did) refuse
Pfffft.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:24 am

Ah right - I did wonder. Apologies. It's interesting with Bosmen in that they usually use the lack of fee to request higher wage, which is obvz something we've been desperate to rein in. At least KA/DH seem switched on here, with relevant experience and firm good intentions.

Some links with interesting reading. Here is something on wages: average L1 player was on £90kpa, or less than £2kpw. And here is Holdsworth giving a coded warning to certain earners by saying we're going to run the players ragged (and Iles saying we'll retain 15 professionals over summer).

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:51 am

Need to lift the embargo first, then find a manager.

Wouldn't surprise me if the league refused to lift the embargo.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:00 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Need to lift the embargo first, then find a manager.

Wouldn't surprise me if the league refused to lift the embargo.
Morning sunshine! :D

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:17 pm

Love to be the naysayer, but don't think a keeper a championship club were willing to spend 7 figures on 6 months before his contract ran out will be attainable. Wouldn't be surprised for a few champo clubs to be back in for him and for his agent to be asking for a large chunk of that transfer fee they've all "saved" in wages.

Even less chance of Tom Carroll, v highly rated, Pochetino loves him. He'll either be playing more often for Spurs or on loan in the prem.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:23 pm

Prufrock wrote:Love to be the naysayer, but don't think a keeper a championship club were willing to spend 7 figures on 6 months before his contract ran out will be attainable. Wouldn't be surprised for a few champo clubs to be back in for him and for his agent to be asking for a large chunk of that transfer fee they've all "saved" in wages.

Even less chance of Tom Carroll, v highly rated, Pochetino loves him. He'll either be playing more often for Spurs or on loan in the prem.
We have a keeper that's on a 5 figure sum, per week. Hopefully some Championship side will come in for him.