Southend (H) match thread 3/9/16 (3pm)

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Southend (H) match thread 3/9/16 (3pm)

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:08 am

One thing's for certain today has surely created more anticipation and excitement than for many a fixture. We are actually winning a few, playing together, have a new manager and, hopefully are on the way to financial recovery as a club. On top of that we have five new and seemeingly decent players armed up and ready for battle. Best it's been for a a fair while. What's not to like...? COME ON YOU WHITES....... :oyea: :oyea: :oyea: :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

danardif1
Reliable
Reliable

Post by danardif1 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:28 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
danardif1 wrote:Will Parky put all the newbies straight into the team or feed them in gently so as to not disrupt what is a winning team? I hope its the latter...
Parky seems to have managed, against the odds, to get the team playing for each other. With five new additions he'll have to be a bit careful about undoing the good he's done by making sure the lads keep thinking as a squad and are all together, and the current ones not suddenly out of favour because of the newbies. We've played five, won four and drawn one and we need to keep the level of amicability going. A win tomorrow will certainly be a confidence booster and I reckon Parky will come up with the goods again. .
I think we will see Ameobi and Henry today as Parky has wanted to play a wider system but hasn't had the players to do so, so whether that means one less in midfield and sticking with Proctor and the Washing Machine upfront or just one of them upfront alone remains to be seen.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:05 pm

One of them. He's had to push Proctor wider when they've played together.

I know which of the two I'd go with as well.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:08 pm

Not sure Proctor is fully fit, so if it is one up front I suspect it will be Madine.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:15 pm

danardif1 wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
danardif1 wrote:Will Parky put all the newbies straight into the team or feed them in gently so as to not disrupt what is a winning team? I hope its the latter...
Parky seems to have managed, against the odds, to get the team playing for each other. With five new additions he'll have to be a bit careful about undoing the good he's done by making sure the lads keep thinking as a squad and are all together, and the current ones not suddenly out of favour because of the newbies. We've played five, won four and drawn one and we need to keep the level of amicability going. A win tomorrow will certainly be a confidence booster and I reckon Parky will come up with the goods again. .
I think we will see Ameobi and Henry today as Parky has wanted to play a wider system but hasn't had the players to do so, so whether that means one less in midfield and sticking with Proctor and the Washing Machine upfront or just one of them upfront alone remains to be seen.
Whilst speaking rather as a wireless Wanderer (an audio monitoring engineer rather than a visual motion observer,) I'm thinking, at least hoping that it's been the lack of support that might, repeat might, have held back the Machine's progress. Lack of decent support up front is no new thing, Kevin Davies experienced it regularly here, and with the players we now have I'm crossing everything that at last we're off in the right direction. Ghost busters to net busters in one giant leap....Yeah.... :lol:

mcflykyle182
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by mcflykyle182 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:20 pm

When was the last time we won by more than 2 goals? Having said that I can't even remember when we last won by more than 1.

We should win this but I just don't see it being a thumping. 2-1
''Amazing! Out of nothing Bolton are level. A quick throw, Kevin Nolan keeps play alive in the box and finds Kevin Davies on the left who lashes a shot under Oliver Kahn.''

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:25 pm

"Domed".

Completely, absolutely domed. This confidence doesn't sit easily at all.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

danardif1
Reliable
Reliable

Post by danardif1 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:31 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
danardif1 wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Whilst speaking rather as a wireless Wanderer (an audio monitoring engineer rather than a visual motion observer,) I'm thinking, at least hoping that it's been the lack of support that might, repeat might, have held back the Machine's progress. Lack of decent support up front is no new thing, Kevin Davies experienced it regularly here, and with the players we now have I'm crossing everything that at last we're off in the right direction. Ghost busters to net busters in one giant leap....Yeah.... :lol:
Perhaps there is something to that notion that he has been lacking the right service, however in the few games that I have seen as a 'visual motion observer', the Machine gets into decent positions and often beats the defender to the ball, he just cannot direct it goalwards. He does everything but the important bit really well...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:02 pm

bobo the clown wrote:"Domed".

Well said, that man.

Riviman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Riviman » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:17 pm

Worthy4England wrote:

Well said, that man.
domed
[dəʊmd]
ADJECTIVE
covered with or shaped like a rounded vault:
"his domed forehead" ·
synonyms: arched · curved · rounded · bowed · domed · humped

Sorry it's the ex-teacher in me !
I feel reborn !!!! No more confussion

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:26 pm

Riviman wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

Well said, that man.
domed
[dəʊmd]
ADJECTIVE
covered with or shaped like a rounded vault:
"his domed forehead" ·
synonyms: arched · curved · rounded · bowed · domed · humped

Sorry it's the ex-teacher in me !
Domed is indeed being used in its absolutley correct context here, stemming from when someone asked in response to people posting "dooooooooooooooomed", whether they meant domed. :-)

The teacher in you may still want to give out "lines" or something.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:01 pm

Henry and Anderson start, the other three on the bench

Howard, Buxton, Wheater, Beevers, Moxey, Spearing, Vela, Trotter, Anderson, Henry, Madine.
Subs Alnwick, A Taylor, Thorpe, Wilson, C Taylor, Proctor

EDIT Image uploaded raw for speed then edited for size
Last edited by Dave Sutton's barnet on Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mcflykyle182
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by mcflykyle182 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:03 pm

I like the option of Ameobi off the bench.
''Amazing! Out of nothing Bolton are level. A quick throw, Kevin Nolan keeps play alive in the box and finds Kevin Davies on the left who lashes a shot under Oliver Kahn.''

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:04 pm

Back down to earth today guys as Browny's boys put on a tactical masterclass just for Bruce....

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:07 pm

So that could play as the diamond with Henry at the top and Keshi off/around/beyond Madine, or a 4-3-3 with Keshi left and Henry right

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:14 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:So that could play as the diamond with Henry at the top and Keshi off/around/beyond Madine, or a 4-3-3 with Keshi left and Henry right
Surprised Trotter is in there ..... then again, I always am.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:19 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:So that could play as the diamond with Henry at the top and Keshi off/around/beyond Madine, or a 4-3-3 with Keshi left and Henry right
Surprised Trotter is in there ..... then again, I always am.
Despite our natural fear of his brainfarts, he's done more right than wrong so far.

Parky doesn't strike me as a man(ager) who'll very often go for a very attacking line-up with four forwards - say, 4-2-3-1 with Clough/Anderson and two wingers behind a striker. But it's early days yet, we'll see; he seems pleasingly adaptable both before and during games, and if we find a good combination of solidity and threat with a four-forward combination during a game, he might start with it if we're expecting the opponents to sit deep "respecting" us - which might start happening a lot more if we're up the top.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:40 pm

I think it's raining.
Businesswoman of the year.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:52 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:I think it's raining.
Yep, just checked, back garden's almost afloat, dog took a look out, said, "you must be joking" and went to sleep, and it's still whacking it down. Do they get rain in Southend? Comments are that the pitch is looking lovely...and Zico is in good voice. Brew's made, chocky bic to hand and it's time for the official "COME ON YOU WHITES"..... :oyea: :oyea:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:02 pm

Chris Price is micman with Zico doing the comedy spot. Teams are out and micman hopes the ref is better than last week. Rain is "driving" and fans are still arriving. Henry and the Machine (sound like a storyline) up the sharp end and the big hand hits three-o'clock. We're off....