Next gigg: Bury (A) Monday, 24/10/16, 19:45 (Sky Sports 1)

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Next gigg: Bury (A) Monday, 24/10/16, 19:45 (Sky Sports

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:24 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

p.s: Bruce Rioja may not remember this, but I was sat with him behind the goals one game at the Mac/Bok when Ivan Klasnic came haring in from left midfield. You just absolutely knew he was going to bury it...he did. That sort of confidence is something we don't expect much of right now.
The QPR game, Tango? I also remember them scoring a perfectly good disallowed goal and Joey Barton being an utter bellend by insisting on taking corner from outside of the D. You're bob-on about Klasnic - do we know how he's getting on?
Can't find anything on Ivan Klasnic beyond 30th of Sept where he was critically ill but I'll keep looking. The Joey Barton thing raised a smile, yes, I remember that...
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:12 pm

From the BN post-Millwall:
Klasnic was rushed into hospital a fortnight ago after his transplanted kidney failed and was in critical condition. It is understood he has now been allowed to leave 24-hour medical supervision and the 36-year-old was pictured on Tuesday night at a corporate event at his former club Werder Bremen but remains in need of a kidney transplant.
Meanwhile, here's David Conn on Bury's fiscal problems.

TiesThatBind
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by TiesThatBind » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:48 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
TiesThatBind wrote:I've become a defacto Walsall fan over the last few seasons (hence this)
Nice piece. Soooooo, how did you find this season's game?
Thanks DSB! I didn't actually make this season's game as I'd strategically booked a holiday to coincide with it but since writing that I do feel a renewed connection with BWFC (not that Walsall ever came close to matching them in my heart) - being in the same division is simply too much!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:06 pm

TiesThatBind wrote:
TiesThatBind wrote:I've become a defacto Walsall fan over the last few seasons (hence this)
Nice piece. Soooooo, how did you find this season's game?
Thanks DSB! I didn't actually make this season's game as I'd strategically booked a holiday to coincide with it but since writing that I do feel a renewed connection with BWFC (not that Walsall ever came close to matching them in my heart) - being in the same division is simply too much!
Good man. Welcome home.

Athertonian
Promising
Promising

Post by Athertonian » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:52 pm

As I have said earlier a goal-scorer would be the difference between play offs and automatic promotion.

It's a long time since I have seen a Bolton team dominate play so much yet struggle to score goals. There will be some strange results just like the Oxford and Rochdale games, we dominate yet struggle to put the ball in the net.

I have never liked Madine and my opinion hasn't changed. He does work hard and at times hold the ball well but he's too slow to turn and create a scoring chance. Proctor is stealing a living whilst Clough struggles in front of goal.

Promotion will be a struggle unless a forward finds some scoring form and it wouldn't be Bolton Wanderers unless there's some kind of struggle.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:05 pm

There was a point in the second half where Bury had had 80% recent possession. We're looking strong but I might not call it dominant; repellent, perhaps. As somebody pointed out, it's just what Dougie wanted: to control the game without the ball. Maybe he'll manage it at Wigan - they've already got most of our players, they might as well copy our tactics too.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:48 pm

BN: PP backs Madine.
I always say to players like Gary ‘play well so your team wins’ because if you are scoring goals and not picking up points it doesn’t matter. If you can come off the pitch having contributed to a victory then you can’t get frustrated. Gary is doing that. He’s fitter and training better than he has for a long time and he’s reaping the rewards on the pitch. We’re pleased with his all-round game. Of course, he wants to hit the headlines for scoring and it will happen because he’s a really good finisher.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:51 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:BN: PP backs Madine.
I always say to players like Gary ‘play well so your team wins’ because if you are scoring goals and not picking up points it doesn’t matter. If you can come off the pitch having contributed to a victory then you can’t get frustrated. Gary is doing that. He’s fitter and training better than he has for a long time and he’s reaping the rewards on the pitch. We’re pleased with his all-round game. Of course, he wants to hit the headlines for scoring and it will happen because he’s a really good finisher.
:shock: :lmfao:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:52 pm

Thought you might like that...

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:27 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Thought you might like that...
Maybe he does the photocopying and binding in the office :D

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:21 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:There was a point in the second half where Bury had had 80% recent possession. We're looking strong but I might not call it dominant; repellent, perhaps. As somebody pointed out, it's just what Dougie wanted: to control the game without the ball. Maybe he'll manage it at Wigan - they've already got most of our players, they might as well copy our tactics too.
Has freedman gone to Wigan then??

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:07 pm

twilight wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:There was a point in the second half where Bury had had 80% recent possession. We're looking strong but I might not call it dominant; repellent, perhaps. As somebody pointed out, it's just what Dougie wanted: to control the game without the ball. Maybe he'll manage it at Wigan - they've already got most of our players, they might as well copy our tactics too.
Not as yet. I hear that at one point he was odds-on, whatever that might mean. Latest rumour was Warren Joyce, also formerly of our parish and more recently MU U21s gaffer.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:56 pm

twilight wrote:
Not as yet. I hear that at one point he was odds-on, whatever that might mean. Latest rumour was Warren Joyce, also formerly of our parish and more recently MU U21s gaffer.
I've also heard Mark Warburton's name mentioned. Would he really leave Rangers for Wiggin?
May the bridges I burn light your way

danardif1
Reliable
Reliable

Post by danardif1 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:00 pm

I would agree with that assessment, a dominating performance tends to give the impression of an attacking display, whereas our performance against Bury was dominant in that we just brushed off everything they could chuck at us. The number of times Wheater or Beevers just casually swept away everything they sent our way was impressive, and the midfield was equally composed.

It was the kind of game plan and execution peak-Mourinho would love, swatting away the other team's attacks and winning the game by taking the clear chances we got.