Ken Anderson - Old Owner (Definitely. For Ever ..... )

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Ken Anderson - New Owner (Definitely. For Now ..... )

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:51 pm

Great news. Thank you Ken.

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:14 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:49 pm

Embargo going would be nice. Not sure it is day changing unless alongside it we bag a quality midfield player who is ready to play on Saturday!

You're kidding me right? After page upon page of people saying that its a disgrace that Ken hasn't lifted the embargo and insinuating that he's no intention of doing for personal gain, and that the embargo is what is killing the club, the minute it is actually lifted you piss on the parade by saying its not day-changing???????

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:23 pm

Great news. We now have a chance to survive.

nelson66
Promising
Promising

Post by nelson66 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:02 pm

embargo lifted - but we're skint - bottom of the league - our chairman has no cash but a wonga loan on OUR clubs assets
I think us natives have a right to be restless - this ain't no bed of roses
The Whites Are Going Up 2021 :pissed: :grin:

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:10 am

Great that it's been lifted. Might not mean any major strengthening, but at least some of the youngsters can now play. They might not improve us, but at least it's not Pratley right?! And who knows, we might just uncover a midfield version of Holding :D

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:31 am

nelson66 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:02 pm
embargo lifted - but we're skint - bottom of the league - our chairman has no cash but a wonga loan on OUR clubs assets
I think us natives have a right to be restless - this ain't no bed of roses
Too true, but at least it ain't no bed of roses without an emargo, rather then the previous no bed of roses and under embargo.

Can't believe how many people have jumped on the negative after this. KA has been getting shit on this forum for weeks about the little progress he apparently had made on the embargo, and yet, now he's got it lifted, everyone's doom and gloom again.

I think a lot of us need a reality check here: last season we almost went out of existence. We were "saved" by a combination of KA & Deano, which allowed us to finish the season promoted, despite crippling embargo and no cash. The cluster-f*ck of the ownership structure became apparent and KA did what he needed to to resolve, and in the process has now lifted the embargo.

I personally don't care what KA's motives are - good of the club or strengthen club so he can see and make a profit - both can only be good for us in the short term.

Yes, we're bottom of the league with no cash.What did people expect? Sunderland came down from the Premiership with a golden handshake of 200m or whatever, to add to the kitty they'd amassed after years in the Premiership. We have nothing and were limited to players on a free who would accept <4.5k per week. Of course we're going to find it difficult!!! However, at least now we shoudl be able t sign players such as Spearing, Baptista, O'Brien etc (they may not be what we need, but at least we now have the freedom to choose...).

I still think there's a good chance we will go down this season, but did any of us really expect anything else? And if we do, hopefully we go down out of embargo, which means we can build a squad without restriction that might get us up again and give us a fighting chance the next season....

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:58 am

dave the minion wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:14 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:49 pm

Embargo going would be nice. Not sure it is day changing unless alongside it we bag a quality midfield player who is ready to play on Saturday!

You're kidding me right? After page upon page of people saying that its a disgrace that Ken hasn't lifted the embargo and insinuating that he's no intention of doing for personal gain, and that the embargo is what is killing the club, the minute it is actually lifted you piss on the parade by saying its not day-changing???????
Yes I was kidding. You missed out the second part where I said...but seriously....

Anyhow, it was a sort of poor attempt at irony.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:39 am

dave the minion wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:31 am
Sunderland came down from the Premiership with a golden handshake of 200m or whatever, to add to the kitty they'd amassed after years in the Premiership. We have nothing and were limited to players on a free who would accept <4.5k per week.
...and they're one point above the relegation zone, DWDLLLL.

None of which is to argue with you; just saying, it's a tough league. We knew that even before we came back up into it. Getting out of the embargo in time to reshape the squad would have been a massive help; I'm not saying I'm not glad we're out now, but the clock has been ticking for a very long time.

I'm also aware that we've reshaped the squad already, but one has to ask: would we have signed better players had we not been hobbled?

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:40 am

AT LAST! Now get those hungry kids in the match day squad. The season is already a lost cause, throw some caution at it.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:05 am

Dr Hotdog wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:40 am
AT LAST! Now get those hungry kids in the match day squad. The season is already a lost cause, throw some caution at it.
Iles, this morning's BN:
Parkinson is now free to bring through the likes of Alex Perry, Jake Turner and Jeff King into his squad after the EFL confirmed they are now out of a transfer embargo. They may be held in reserve for next Tuesday’s Carabao Cup game against West Ham United at the Olympic Stadium
NB in another piece he says "youngster Jack Earing is likely to come into the equation" (for Ipswich); there's a chance that might have been written before the embargo news, but Earing does play central midfield, and we're a little light there.

To be honest, waiting for Tuesday might make sense, with a Surely We Have to Look To Win This at home to Brentford four days after the League Cup game. (Sorry to go Megson, but y'know.) Although Parky's inclination might be to give Howard a cup runout, I'd be intrigued to see Jake Turner get a start – and if the youngster excels, keep him in. I know you watch our keepers closely, Dr H, so what say you?
Last edited by Dave Sutton's barnet on Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:16 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:58 am

Yes I was kidding. You missed out the second part where I said...but seriously....

Anyhow, it was a sort of poor attempt at irony.

Sorry, completely missed that!! Reading messages on the train in a hurry....

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:39 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:05 am
Dr Hotdog wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:40 am
Iles, this morning's BN:
Parkinson is now free to bring through the likes of Alex Perry, Jake Turner and Jeff King into his squad after the EFL confirmed they are now out of a transfer embargo. They may be held in reserve for next Tuesday’s Carabao Cup game against West Ham United at the Olympic Stadium
NB in another piece he says "youngster Jack Earing is likely to come into the equation" (for Ipswich); there's a chance that might have been written before the embargo news, but Earing does play central midfield, and we're a little light there.

To be honest, waiting for Tuesday might make sense, with a Surely We Have to Look To Win This at home to Brentford four days after the League Cup game. (Sorry to go Megson, but y'know.) Although Parky's inclination might be to give Howard a cup runout, I'd be intrigued to see Jake Turner get a start – and if the youngster excels, keep him in. I know you watch our keepers closely, Dr H, so what say you?
I haven't been to a game since last season so I'm no use - rely soley on the youtube/sky highlights the following day as a catch up and the opinons (heh) of the chaps on Radio MCR (McGinlay is a laugh). Recenetly I've been thinking that Alnwick is more capable than Howard (the latter had a stinker when I went to a game last year - the one he came back from injury for) but it's hard to tell, espsically after Alnwick's howler against Boro. All I've heard is rumble and mumble re: Turner, but he aint recognised internationally for nowt. Starting his first professional game at the Olympic Stadium against PL opposition might be a bit much - talk about The Deep End! But he'd certainly be on the bench. It's a tough call. Players like King, Earing and Perry who played Pre-Season but then got swept under the carpet because of the Embargo simply have to come into the reckoning now (league and cup) because nowt is happening from open play for us. Even Harry Brockbank scored a couple in pre-season. He'll be chomping now. If they start to impress in training then they've got to be considered, even if it's just a place on the bench. Heck, Samizadeh made it on to the pitch in our colours last season. A couple of sprinklings of youthful enthusiasm might be just the tonic. Look at me all optimistic!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:10 pm

Cheers. I do think the end of the embargo might have a generally uplifting effect on the existing squad. The better players might think that help is arriving; the lesser players will be fighting for their futures; the younger pros will know they have a chance of appearing.

Brockbank's a centre-back, isn't he? Arguably our deepest-stocked position, even if nobody's exactly excelling: I'd be surprised if he overlooked Wheater, Beevers, Burke, Dervite and Derik, even if some or all are fit. Might be more likely to see central midfielders Jack Earing and Alex Perry (note that the latter also played in the middle of a back three in pre-season). Mind you, Earing is a scholar rather than a pro, I think, so he could have been played even under the embargo - although our choices might now be more injury-limited than previously.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:27 pm

Hard to judge without knowing the kid but I'd be tempted to chuck Turner in next week. The other two far from convince and could be a good opportunity for him to stake a claim without a great deal of expectation (albeit in a "big" environment).

As I say though, if he's definitely not ready there's no point.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:54 pm

Its hard with young keepers - you cant just throw em on as a sub for the last 10. If he's ready to start he should do. He is clearly a prospect and anything to shift his value beyond the £2 million quid we usually accept for our best youth players would be ideal.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:37 pm

BWFCI posted the following in another recent thread:

"Also just watched back the Iles facebook live from earlier - he suggests we may not actually be out of embargo, in that we might not still be allowed to sign anyone else....food for some serious thought!"

So is Iles saying that KA is lying ?, as KA doesn't mention anything about this in his statement (below), in fact he says that we have a number of free agent players training with us with a view to getting a contract

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2017/septem ... go-update/

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:46 pm

Iles knows as much as you or I...he wrote an article saying JOB might be signed earlier this week!

If its true we are not put of the embargo why have the EFL not corrected Ken publicly?

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:10 am

Did I not read somewhere that there were some conditions still in place? What are these "conditions" ?

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:16 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:46 pm
Iles knows as much as you or I...he wrote an article saying JOB might be signed earlier this week!

If its true we are not put of the embargo why have the EFL not corrected Ken publicly?
Spot on....Iles is an absolute know nothing clown, he either just makes things up for effect or someone is feeding him utter bullshit

As BWFCI said yesterday - In his facebook live thing yesterday he apparently said that we may not actually be out of the embargo and allowed to sign players.

This morning, yes this morning Iles has put an article out about Parkinson saying that we will have new potential free signings in today that he's having a look at & talking to.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:11 am

Peter Thompson wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:16 am
officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:46 pm

Spot on....Iles is an absolute know nothing clown, he either just makes things up for effect or someone is feeding him utter bullshit

As BWFCI said yesterday - In his facebook live thing yesterday he apparently said that we may not actually be out of the embargo and allowed to sign players.

This morning, yes this morning Iles has put an article out about Parkinson saying that we will have new potential free signings in today that he's having a look at & talking to.
He also says in that article that we can't sign anyone without EFL permission. Which doesn't sound like we are fully out of embargo to me does it?

I'm guessing that Iles doesn't know. Given he was asked it on facebook so presumably this is something that stems from a rumour. However, the signs are that there may be some substance to it, given Ken and Lee are very quiet and one would think IF we were able to operate freely we'd have snapped up some free transfers by now.