Ken Anderson - Old Owner (Definitely. For Ever ..... )

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Ken Anderson - New Owner (Definitely. For Now ..... )

Post by Peter Thompson » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:01 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:47 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:20 pm
We'll be back battling Birmingham not to go down, again, very soon.
KA and the financial situation doesn't help, or rather are a total burden. But where this idea that Parkinson is a boon to the club come's from, I just can't fathom.
The fact that he took us up when under embargo and against the odds? The fact that he kept us up with a budget of zero, again against the odds?

I can't fathom where the idea that Parkinson is the anti-Christ has come from...
As usual the Parkinson 'can't do owt wrong' brigade are completely missing the point - all of us appreciate everything that he has done, he's a decent manager all told and we all like him as a person - but he's a poor coach, an awful tactician, the football under Parkinson is boring & dull as feck, this is the issue with the fans who slag him off....he appears to be a 'one trick' pony, ultra defensive, non attacking, play every game for a 0-0. Now it appears that several of you are ok with this, which is fine - but that doesn't mean that everyone has to like it or agree with you.

Forum's are about opinions, football is all about opinions and therefore football fans should be entitled to have a different opinion. Some of you think the sun shines out of Parkinson's arse regardless of the shite football we play as long as we survive, which is absolutely fine I don't personally have an issue with this....but some of us are different, we 100% appreciate what he's done for the club, but just wish that he played better football or at least tried to play some football that had you on the edge of your seat occasionally....even just 2 or 3 times in 90 mins would suffice....there is no excitement whatsoever, its boring & dull almost every home game, slow & predictable low tempo football, football that sends you to sleep and is quite easy to play against - people attend games out of loyalty not out of anticipation of the football that they are about to witness.

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:29 pm

I dont disagree with you PT that the football is boring at home. Parky is all about setting us up not to lose rather than taking the game to the opposition. I dont think last year we had the players to do this, but this season IMO he has more options, but still chooses to be a little negative at home. However, he has had a lot to contend with and in time I'm hoping we eventually see a bit more positivity at the home games, but I still don't expect Parky to go gung-ho, just not his style

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:35 am

Peter Thompson wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:35 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:09 pm
Do you never wonder if it's you, PT? Every fan you speak to is never going back, yet attendances generally stay fine :conf: ?!
Yes absolutely 100% Mr Prufrock - its also my fault that we play negative, boring, ultra defensive, non creative football every home game (until we go behind....)

It's my fault that the ground is half empty, its my fault that the atmosphere is shite as there is virtually nothing to cheer, its my fault that some ST holders can't be arsed going to the Reebok and would rather stay in the pub....its all PT's fault.
I don't think I would be using said 3 ST holders as the indication of how fans are generally thinking? If - as you say - the football has been dire under Parky - then I would seriously question the number of brain cells these 3 people have - having watched the team for the last few years they still decided to spunk £hundreds on a ticket, and 2 or 3 home games in can no longer be arsed?

I agree the football isn't quite up to the attacking flair of Barca in their pomp, but what do people expect really?

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:11 am

dave the minion wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:35 am
Peter Thompson wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
Do you never wonder if it's you, PT? Every fan you speak to is never going back, yet attendances generally stay fine :conf: ?!
Yes absolutely 100% Mr Prufrock - its also my fault that we play negative, boring, ultra defensive, non creative football every home game (until we go behind....)

It's my fault that the ground is half empty, its my fault that the atmosphere is shite as there is virtually nothing to cheer, its my fault that some ST holders can't be arsed going to the Reebok and would rather stay in the pub....its all PT's fault.
I don't think I would be using said 3 ST holders as the indication of how fans are generally thinking? If - as you say - the football has been dire under Parky - then I would seriously question the number of brain cells these 3 people have - having watched the team for the last few years they still decided to spunk £hundreds on a ticket, and 2 or 3 home games in can no longer be arsed?

I agree the football isn't quite up to the attacking flair of Barca in their pomp, but what do people expect really?
Yet again another over the top response by the Parkinson can't do owt wrong brigade - who has said that the 3 x ST holders can no longer be arsed, they will still go to games, but just not every game, I did the same when I had a ST - I'm sure that everyone knows of ST holders who regularly miss games, just look at the numbers of empty seats, it looks to me like 100's of ST pick & choose their games.

Also who mentioned Barca like football ?, the non Parkinson 'can't do owt wrong' brigade would be happy with occasional decent football, as I said previously just something to get you on the edge of your seat 2 or 3 times a game, something to get the crowd going every now & again....almost every team we play is more creative /attacking than us, which could well be down to finances and quality of players....but I'm sure that this team is capable of playing a better quality of football, if the manager had a slightly different mindset or if we had an attack minded coach on the coaching staff - I feel really sorry for Oztumer under Parkinson, he's a talented, creative player wasted coming on for 5/10 mins every week.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:44 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
KA and the financial situation doesn't help, or rather are a total burden. But where this idea that Parkinson is a boon to the club come's from, I just can't fathom.
For starters without Parky we’d be sitting on -1 points now.

That’s before we get to the success on the pitch. Something we’ve not seen since relegation in 2012. 2 seasons whereby at the end our league position was improved compared to the start. An achievement against the backdrop of a club on the slide year after year after year. But even more so considering the nonsense going on behind the scenes and severe regulatory and financial restrictions.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:44 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
For starters without Parky we’d be sitting on -1 points now.

That’s before we get to the success on the pitch. Something we’ve not seen since relegation in 2012. 2 seasons whereby at the end our league position was improved compared to the start. An achievement against the backdrop of a club on the slide year after year after year. But even more so considering the nonsense going on behind the scenes and severe regulatory and financial restrictions.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:25 pm

Don't feed the trolls.

If we'd won on Sat we'd have been joint 2nd.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:47 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:11 am
dave the minion wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:35 am
Peter Thompson wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

Yet again another over the top response by the Parkinson can't do owt wrong brigade - who has said that the 3 x ST holders can no longer be arsed, they will still go to games, but just not every game, I did the same when I had a ST - I'm sure that everyone knows of ST holders who regularly miss games, just look at the numbers of empty seats, it looks to me like 100's of ST pick & choose their games.

Also who mentioned Barca like football ?, the non Parkinson 'can't do owt wrong' brigade would be happy with occasional decent football, as I said previously just something to get you on the edge of your seat 2 or 3 times a game, something to get the crowd going every now & again....almost every team we play is more creative /attacking than us, which could well be down to finances and quality of players....but I'm sure that this team is capable of playing a better quality of football, if the manager had a slightly different mindset or if we had an attack minded coach on the coaching staff - I feel really sorry for Oztumer under Parkinson, he's a talented, creative player wasted coming on for 5/10 mins every week.
Wrong on most counts I'm afraid. Certainly not an over the top response by any stretch of the imagination, and I'm absolutely not in the "Parky can do no wrong" camp. However, the camp I am in is the "Parky has done an amazing job for us considering everything he has been repeatedly up against and considering the non-footballing backdrop he has had to work with".

Good management isn't about pleasing all of the people all of the time. He has to work with what he's got - and what he's done with that is incredible. He' - not I - is the qualified and experienced manager so I'm quite content to let him make the decisions that he sees fit. If these decisions continually fail (and note that up to now he can't be deemed to have failed at all as he has made progress each year since his appointment) then he will get found out and will be relieved of his position. If he keeps on doing what he's doing, then he'll be fine.

The very sad and unfortunate truth is that we are no longer the team of Okocha's, Djorkaeffs, Campos & Hierros that we have been blessed to have seen. We don't have the ability to play eye-catching, exhilarating football that we want to see, so we need to grind out points in games. Yes, this is frustrating, but its also proving to be quite effective (caveat - relative to our general standing and state of finances etc). Parky and KA have tried to bring in better quality and I'm sure these lads will be used accordingly and allowed to play to their strengths in time, but we need to realise who we are and where we reside in the pecking order.

In terms of "occasional decent football, as I said previously just something to get you on the edge of your seat 2 or 3 times a game" then by my reckoning we've had 4 home games since the Forest game (which I think we can all agree absolutely delivered on your requirement in spades?): of those we've drawn 1 and won 1 and they had their fair share of excitement, so we're only talking 2 completely disappointing losses. Add into the mix games like West Brom and Preston away, and I think its clear which of us is being completely over the top with their assessment.

One thing we can agree on is that we all want more: more excitement, more goals, more wins. Do I think Parky is the one to give us that - no - not with the hand he's been dealt, but I can't see how this can be a criticism of him when he's doing such a good job with what he's been given?

To put it another way: if he's so bad and so negative and driving the fans away, who do you realistically suggest comes in to replace him that you know will do a better job? And what do you suggest this fictitious replacement does to instantly turn 10 years of a shit-show like we've had into the exciting flowing game you want to see?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:51 pm

There's another faction here too beside the "Parky is clueless" and the "Parky can do no wrong" entities: Third one is the "You're only as good as your last game" convenient memory merchants who, whenever we have a less than perfect game resort to glass half-empty philosophy. Yes, against Q.P.R we went two softish goals behind early on, but from bad play by the on-the-field crew and not managerial tactical error. We also lost Sammi, generally regarded as one of our best players, to injury and didn't have Donaldson on the bench due to Magennis declaring fit at the onset and having the new boy wonder champing at the bit. Nobody could have predicedt Sammi getting injured. It wasn't anything to do with managerial nous that Grounds had a bad game or that Wilson was unavailable. Add the fact that we escaped the court visit and an inevitable 12 point deduction by the elephant's balls not uprooting the daisy at the eleventh hour and it might not be seen as world's end at the UniBol after all.

Expecting wonders of miraculous content after all that smacks of lack of thought and common sense rather than opinionism as to whether out manager is fit to be allowed in the ground. In short, it's a load of bollox quite frankly. There, another opinion expressed.. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

bedwetter2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bedwetter2 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:37 pm

Despite everything that has been said no one, having observed our play, can really say that we have been aggressive in taking on opponents particularly at home. It can't just be the manager and I doubt that it is down to all of the players. I would imagine that one or two of the more recent recruits would like to be given their heads but if they are not selected then the point is academic..
My conclusion regarding underwhelming performances is fear of failure and therefore reversion to the familiar. Which is fine if your defenders are all on song and you can nick the odd goal but we know that we shipped too many goals last season and I predict we shall do it again this season.
Maybe Sam's use of a sports psychologist should be attempted but to also include PP and the coaches in revealing their innermost motivations.

I shall leave you with what many will view as a totally inappropriate contrast. The other (lesser) wanderers down the road played Burnley last night and made 30ish strikes at Burnleys goal. How many did Bolton get on or close to target on Saturday? Yes, they have have had a large cash injection but have only just been promoted and seem to be playing without fear.

Is money everything or is attitude more important?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:54 pm

Money is definitely, definitely more important.

Can't do it without the attitude, and fair play to Wolves, but the money is why they are where they are.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:14 am

bedwetter2 wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:37 pm
Despite everything that has been said no one, having observed our play, can really say that we have been aggressive in taking on opponents particularly at home. It can't just be the manager and I doubt that it is down to all of the players. I would imagine that one or two of the more recent recruits would like to be given their heads but if they are not selected then the point is academic..
My conclusion regarding underwhelming performances is fear of failure and therefore reversion to the familiar. Which is fine if your defenders are all on song and you can nick the odd goal but we know that we shipped too many goals last season and I predict we shall do it again this season.
Maybe Sam's use of a sports psychologist should be attempted but to also include PP and the coaches in revealing their innermost motivations.

I shall leave you with what many will view as a totally inappropriate contrast. The other (lesser) wanderers down the road played Burnley last night and made 30ish strikes at Burnleys goal. How many did Bolton get on or close to target on Saturday? Yes, they have have had a large cash injection but have only just been promoted and seem to be playing without fear.

Please tell the class what Wolves were doing before their massive cash injection?

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:23 am

As I reflect on the game, one area I feel there is a problem is the way we are starting home games this season. In each home game this season, we appear to have attempted the first 20 minutes to settle in, do our jobs, work ourselves into the game. Each time it has resulted in the opposition gaining the initiative. In the case of the Sheffield Untied game, it was a case of the opposition gaining complete dominance. Ironically, I felt we were just starting to get the upper hand in the game on Saturday when QPR got their first. But the start was still underwhelming. I remember a number of home games in the previous two seasons, when we went at teams straight from the off. I feel that approach might help us at this moment.

There might be a number of mitigating circumstances as to why we are taking the approach we are taking:

- We seem to be attempting to play through the midfield this season. This has been evident particularly in the Birmingham and QPR games. Our midfield is better this season, so it makes sense to add this string to our bow, if only to make us harder to set up against. I would say that when we do this, we don't seem to have a purpose. We tend to pass it for passing sake, and Beevers seems only capable of the simplest of passes, or the long ball upfield. Our front players don't interchange positions, we don't make intelligent runs from deep, there is nothing we do that creates spaces or is going to threaten the opposition. It worries me that we just don't understand how to do this aspect of the game well, and that we aren't improving quickly enough at it.

- New Players. Maybe Parky wants to get the system established early in the game, and avoid a frenetic opening period so the new lads making their debuts can settle in easier. Doidge is coming up two levels, and the leap up to the Championship is huge. He struggled on Saturday as our focal point, as was always likely.

- Individual mistakes. Grounds has been poor in the last two home games and he is presenting the opposition with openings due to his poor decision making. He is a very experienced player at this level, so this is hard to legislate for. And it is perhaps helping to set us back.

To conclude, it is annoying as a fan to see us being passive at home. Parky definitely needs to look at playing at a higher tempo, even if that means a long ball bombardment. However, we are very much a work in progress. Last season we were, in terms of quality the worst team in this league, and imho should've finished bottom. This season we have 15 new players and look a lot better. It is going to take a few months to get us at our most effective. We seem to have made the most progress in our away set up. At home we need to improve a lot, and be more assertive. But we need to be patient. Given our budget constraints we have done well to get the talent into the squad that we have.

All imho of course.

bedwetter2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bedwetter2 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:00 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:14 am
bedwetter2 wrote:

Please tell the class what Wolves were doing before their massive cash injection?

Don't be ridiculous. The results of our softly, softly approach for those who are not blind are obvious to see. We never win well and rely on the odd sneaked goal when we get a win. All knife-edge stuff. Which of course may be what floats your boat.

I am well aware that the gulf between Bolton and Wolves is immense in terms of resources. However, in my opinion, there is also a gulf in attitude between the two managers. From the day that Santo appeared in the pre-season (without the cash initially) they were winning. Could you also say that about Prudent Parkinson?

I'm not being critical of Parkinson (after all, that is an excommunication matter). I just wish he would have the balls to mix it up in home games, perhaps as an experiment against one team we are likely to lose to anyway. Say Middlesbrough.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:36 am

bedwetter2 wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:00 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
bedwetter2 wrote:

Don't be ridiculous. The results of our softly, softly approach for those who are not blind are obvious to see. We never win well and rely on the odd sneaked goal when we get a win. All knife-edge stuff. Which of course may be what floats your boat.

I am well aware that the gulf between Bolton and Wolves is immense in terms of resources. However, in my opinion, there is also a gulf in attitude between the two managers. From the day that Santo appeared in the pre-season (without the cash initially) they were winning. Could you also say that about Prudent Parkinson?

I'm not being critical of Parkinson (after all, that is an excommunication matter). I just wish he would have the balls to mix it up in home games, perhaps as an experiment against one team we are likely to lose to anyway. Say Middlesbrough.

I’m asking a question. You are saying it isn’t just about resources. So I’m asking. Before their massive cash injection, how were Wolves doing? Perhaps their attitude miraculously improved with the signings of 15M foreign superstars? Funny that.

Nobody is saying we have the balance right yet. Parky himself says that we didn’t make the runs in behind on Saturday that had been worked on in training. It happens. But overall we are far better with Parky than we were before he arrived. And that is not in dispute by anyone.

You will get some bad results with a cheaply assembled group of players in this league. But equally we are better than last season and I’m not sure what anyone could realistically ask beyond that?

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:29 am

[quote=BWFC_Insane post_id=1062291 time=1537259806 user_id=1474

You will get some bad results with a cheaply assembled group of players in this league. But equally we are better than last season and I’m not sure what anyone could realistically ask beyond that?
[/quote]

Spot on - and this is the critical piece of the discussion that the Parky nay-sayers have not yet been able to answer: for all of Parky's perceived weaknesses, and given the financial and footballing recent history and backdrop, no alternative has been offered up? If PP is that bad, and KA is that bad as a chairman/owner, what realistic alternatives are out there to make everything better?

bedwetter2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bedwetter2 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:18 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:36 am
bedwetter2 wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:00 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
bedwetter2 wrote:

I’m asking a question. You are saying it isn’t just about resources. So I’m asking. Before their massive cash injection, how were Wolves doing? Perhaps their attitude miraculously improved with the signings of 15M foreign superstars? Funny that.

Nobody is saying we have the balance right yet. Parky himself says that we didn’t make the runs in behind on Saturday that had been worked on in training. It happens. But overall we are far better with Parky than we were before he arrived. And that is not in dispute by anyone.

No. The attitude at Wolves changed immediately the manager arrived and before any new players were purchased. Sure, they had the plans in place to start improving the squad but you are wrong about the timeline.

Anyway, I was reviewing Bolton and the lack of ambition in tactics. I believe the critical point will arrive when the steady decrease in footfall will become of real concern to Anderson. Average gates continue to decline and hotheads on here are saying 3 season ticket holders who do not wish to watch dross should just F.O. Sorry chaps but there will be no supporters left at all at this rate.

I have a lot of empathy for people like P.T. who wear their hearts on their sleeve and say it how they see it.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:49 am

I'm not saying it's not true, but has anybody produced numbers to show the decline in attendance?

Jim_McDonuts
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jim_McDonuts » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:31 pm

There was a stat on t'beeb last Sat that said we haven't scored a goal at home in the 1st half since March. March!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:29 pm

Jim_McDonuts wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:31 pm
There was a stat on t'beeb last Sat that said we haven't scored a goal at home in the 1st half since March. March!
Oof.

To compound the problem, conceding first is also usually a death-knell. From a quick stat search it seems we haven't won after conceding first since March 2017. Points if you can remember the oppo.

Note: we have come from *behind* to win - against Forest, obvz. But we scored first. And we haven't done that type of topsy-turvy-topsy double turnaround (score first, go behind, win) in the league since the 4-3 at Blackburn in January 2004.