The Promotion Commotion Transfer Thread 2017

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Promotion Commotion Transfer Thread 2017

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:23 pm

I like Burke and Cullen as signings because they've actually played football. Both over 50 games of senior football, mainly league one level. But I feel more chance with them than premiership youngsters straight out of academies who aren't yet battle hardened. Both played plenty for Parky too.

Also both have featured prominently in West Ham's pre-season so far so should be relatively match-fit. Think they've played in every game for some minutes at least.

Issue might come in January when all our loans depart. But we'll see what happens between now and then.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:30 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:23 pm
Issue might come in January when all our loans depart.
I think B&C will stay, as is said to be the informal deal already. Arma's six-monther – agreed before the EFL clampdown - might not be renewed because there's only a thin sliver of outcome in which it would suit both parties; if he doesn't play he and the club won't want to renew, if he does and does well Newcastle will probably want him back. But as you say, let's see when we get there: if we have another January like the one in which we swapped Keshi for ALF, that'd do me.

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:38 pm

So Is Cullen in the Spearing role? And where does Burke usually play? Seems I am the only one who doesnt know anything about them

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:55 pm

I didn't realised that we had quite so much depth!

Cullen is a central midfielder, more of a creative type than Spearing I believe. Burke is a centre-back. Both have worked with Parky before. Has it actually been confirmed anywhere that there's gentleman's agreement to renew after the first six months btw?
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:19 pm

Nicko58 wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:55 pm
I didn't realised that we had quite so much depth!

Cullen is a central midfielder, more of a creative type than Spearing I believe. Burke is a centre-back. Both have worked with Parky before. Has it actually been confirmed anywhere that there's gentleman's agreement to renew after the first six months btw?
Iles, BN:
it is understood there is an informal agreement between the two clubs to extend the loan in the New Year to the end of the season.
Burke I'd expect to ease part Dervite into the back three (although Dorian might start the season there because (1) Parky will show loyalty and (2) Burke might not be Allenby-fit yet). Harder to see him breaking into the middle of a back four unless one of Wheevers is injured/suspended. Notable perhaps that Iles says Burke can play right-back, which might give us the sort of flexible cover Dorian provided on the right of a back three behind a more attacking wing-back.

Personally I had Cullen down as more Mavies than Spearing, but when I looked him up at the end of the season he seems to be described as "all-action", "terrier" etc. He may be more of a Karacan than either of those archetypes – neither a "No.10" creator nor an anchoring "No.6" but a "No.8" all-rounder. Which would, if true, give us four hard-working central midfielders (adding Vela and Pratley), perhaps allowing (via careful rotation) for a 3-4-3 which would let Arma/Ameobi/Buckley/ALF float off Madine – or indeed another target-man. Just don't expect the latter to be this Yannick Djalo we've got on trial (31, former Sporting/Benfica) - apparently he's 5ft 7in.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:01 pm

Yeah, I just read a West Ham fan describing Cullen as a Jack Wilshere type, and Cullen himself in his welcome interview saying he likes to control the midfield and likes setting the tempo. All of which suggests that either Karacan, Derik or Prately would need to play behind him, and Vela or Pratley ahead of him. It does sound like we now have more chance of controlling games and a chance of having more of the ball than the other team more often. Hopefully a crucial signing for us..

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:15 pm

Cullen will play ahead of Pratley in my view. Maybe not immediately but over time. He's a good player from what I've seen of him. Similar to Karacan in style.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:40 pm

As long as one of the buggers can tackle and re-cycle, then I'm good with it. :-)

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:47 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:15 pm
Cullen will play ahead of Pratley in my view. Maybe not immediately but over time. He's a good player from what I've seen of him. Similar to Karacan in style.
Absolutely 100% - Cullen should start ahead of Pratley, he's a very good player a much better footballer than Pratley (IMO) who likes to dictate the tempo and is very good on and with the ball.

Decent 1st choice central midfield now of Cullen, Karacan & Vela.....for me Pratley should be on the bench for League games

For what its worth I'd also play Burke ahead of Dervite if PP plays 5 at the back i.e. 3 CB's....he's comfortable on the ball & likes the ball to feet and he likes bringing the ball out from defence, as opposed to Dervite (and others) just hitting aimless long balls to no one.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:48 pm

He has a little bit of pace too, should complement Wheater and Beevers too even if he isn't the strongest in the air.

enrdentw
Promising
Promising

Post by enrdentw » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:43 pm

Not sure where to put this... just looking at the odds for next season. Skybet are offering 18/1 on Bolton winning the Championship handicap league with a +27 point headstart. We need ~50points to stay up, winners typically go up with ~90points... worth a bet?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:49 pm

^^ Similar with this one. £198 million pounds. 1 player...

And I'm not sure I'd be putting any money on a 27 point handicap right now :-)

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:32 pm

Bolton poised to sign Bristol City striker Aaron Wilbraham and eyeing ex-Real Madrid star Julio Baptista on a short term contract. A lot of experience there.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/15 ... dline_day/
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:33 pm

Who are we getting rid of because we must be up to around 26 first team players. Surely we cannot afford to have a player and not have him in the squad?

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:38 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:47 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:15 pm
Absolutely 100% - Cullen should start ahead of Pratley, he's a very good player a much better footballer than Pratley (IMO) who likes to dictate the tempo and is very good on and with the ball.

Decent 1st choice central midfield now of Cullen, Karacan & Vela.....for me Pratley should be on the bench for League games

For what its worth I'd also play Burke ahead of Dervite if PP plays 5 at the back i.e. 3 CB's....he's comfortable on the ball & likes the ball to feet and he likes bringing the ball out from defence, as opposed to Dervite (and others) just hitting aimless long balls to no one.
I'm not arguing with your views but isn't Pratters club captain? There always seems to be a captain who shouldn't really be in the starting XI.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:24 pm

Aaron Wilbraham..heard about the fact he was training with us yesterday. Thought we were just doing him a favour...didn't realise we were signing him. Contracted to Bristol though...didn't realise that either...only signed a new deal this summer. 37. Presumably they will release him. Still...wtf???

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:48 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:24 pm
Aaron Wilbraham..heard about the fact he was training with us yesterday. Thought we were just doing him a favour...didn't realise we were signing him. Contracted to Bristol though...didn't realise that either...only signed a new deal this summer. 37. Presumably they will release him. Still...wtf???
He is 38 in October. Started 8 games and 23 subs appearances with four goals last season. I know he is well thought of down here, they offered him a coaching role as part of his latest contract.

I think this signing is most definitely cover for Madine, rather than an upgrade on Madine, suggesting Madine is going to be pencilled in pretty much every game. I was hoping we were going to sign the young Arsenal lad on loan we were linked with (Mavididi), at least he is a young guy with top level ability who could develop to be a big improvement on Madine. Unless Madine has improved a lot goals are going to be a struggle I feel...

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:58 pm

We did need that cover for Madine as it showed late last season. If he is cheap enough and can still do a job for us off the bench then that's fine with me.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:00 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:48 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:24 pm
He is 38 in October. Started 8 games and 23 subs appearances with four goals last season. I know he is well thought of down here, they offered him a coaching role as part of his latest contract.

I think this signing is most definitely cover for Madine, rather than an upgrade on Madine, suggesting Madine is going to be pencilled in pretty much every game. I was hoping we were going to sign the young Arsenal lad on loan we were linked with (Mavididi), at least he is a young guy with top level ability who could develop to be a big improvement on Madine. Unless Madine has improved a lot goals are going to be a struggle I feel...

I don't think that Arsenal lad would get in. Just a feeling that he wouldn't be up to it.

Madine will be ok. He isn't there for goals, that is Le Fondre and Armstrong.

I would prefer a younger option than Wilbrham though.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:44 pm

I know it's an accepted fact that Bolton Wanderers have never and will never win a game without him, but this absolute faith in Gary Madine is completely out of hand.

Start the season with Madine > fans slowly remember he's actually a bit shit > fans turn on Madine > manager replaces him with [insert name of goalshy carthorse here] > Madine gets back in the team and suddenly looks like Didier Drogba in comparison.